What's new

Chad Ford: Exum > Burke right now; rookie player that's most positively surprising

Not really. If there is room for Ingles to get minutes right now, there is room for the core to extend their minutes without issues. We will need to get rid of some guys at a point, but you want the majority of guard minutes going to 4 guys tops.
Most teams go with 10 players or so early in the season and then cut it down to 8 as they push for the playoffs after the all-star break. Plus there are always injuries. Can never have too many players. I'm sure at some point in the future the Jazz will have to start making some tough choices - can't have 8 players all making big money. Hopefully by then some of the core will decide taking less and keeping the team together is much more rewarding than demanding $20M/per a la Tim Duncan.

4-5: I'd expect Favors may have to start playing more at the 4 so you can have a 3-man rotation with Gobert, Derrick and ?. I'm not committing to Kanter nor Booker at this point. There's no guarantee Trevor will want to re-sign with Utah after next season. And the Jazz could very well pick up a PF in the draft. Possibly add Motum for depth.

2-3: Certainly seems like Hayward, Hood and Burks are the future. Throw in a little Exum (perhaps). Ingles can be a solid glue guy who will sign on the cheap. If I were DL, I'd look to sign him on a 4-yr deal for a few million/per. Having a fellow Aussie in Exum probably makes Utah an attractive place to play.

1: Exum is clearly the PGOTF. Not sure what to do with Burke, Maybe just let him play out his contract and have him be a good backup for a couple of years. Or trade him, combine assets and try to draft a good young PG to play behind Dante. We do have that extra pick in 2017.

It's unreal how easily I can discern who has no clue about basketball and who does from these Exum/Burke threads. Ignorance is bliss I guess considering basketball is ultimately a meaningless distraction in our leisure time until we're dead.

Exum looks better than I expected, and it's easy to see that he's going to be the better PG in the future.

Our offense seems to run better with Burke though. He's a little more experienced, and we get more possessions when he's playing than when he isn't. That's pretty important.

I'd be fine with keeping Burke except I think he may become a locker room problem if he is coming off the bench for us. We will see how the next few months go but as of now I would plan on trading him at the deadline and let Exum finish the season.

I'd be fine with keeping Burke except I think he may become a locker room problem if he is coming off the bench for us. We will see how the next few months go but as of now I would plan on trading him at the deadline and let Exum finish the season.

Some of us foresaw this issue as early as the Summer League when Exum displayed flashes of PG brilliance with his natural vision and passing, poise and elite speed/quickness that Burke seems to lack.

If Jazz trade Burke they don't have a legit backup PG.
Who backs up Exum?
Jazz are a legit two deep at every position right now.
Why change that?
Burke and Exum can split time easily at PG for now without any turmoil.

Who backs up Exum?
Why change that?

I think the concern is whether or not Burke is a big enough man to take a backseat to a 19 year old PG who was drafted a year later than he was.

Who backs up Exum?
Why change that?

When we traded Deron, we got back Devin Harris in the deal. If the Jazz trade a starting PG to a team, it's likely they get a backup PG in return as part of the package. Or Utah can simply peruse the D-league and bring in this year's version of Diante Garrett.

Who backs up Exum?
Why change that?

If we didn't get a back up PG via trade I'd be fine with Burks bringing the ball up the court for 18 mins a night to close the season.

When we traded Deron, we got back Devin Harris in the deal. If the Jazz trade a starting PG to a team, it's likely they get a backup PG in return as part of the package. Or Utah can simply peruse the D-league and bring in this year's version of Diante Garrett.

Hmm... I don't think you can compare trading away Deron vs trading away Trey Burke though...

I don't see any reason to rush Exum to the starting lineup or to trade Burke for at least this year and next. We are not going anywhere for a year or two. Let them play it out on the court and Exum can learn from the bench. Stockton did not start his first few years because he had a good PG in front of him. When it became time to make Stockton the man then the other guy was moved to the side. That is what should happen here.
I think Exum has looked good and may even be outplaying Burke a lot of the time. But it does not matter, still no reason to rush this along. Exum putting pressure on Burke for that starting job is a good thing. It could make them both better in the long run, and maybe Lindsey finds a way to keep them both if they are both worth keeping.

I don't see any reason to rush Exum to the starting lineup or to trade Burke for at least this year and next. We are not going anywhere for a year or two. Let them play it out on the court and Exum can learn from the bench. Stockton did not start his first few years because he had a good PG in front of him. When it became time to make Stockton the man then the other guy was moved to the side. That is what should happen here.
I think Exum has looked good and may even be outplaying Burke a lot of the time. But it does not matter, still no reason to rush this along. Exum putting pressure on Burke for that starting job is a good thing. It could make them both better in the long run, and maybe Lindsey finds a way to keep them both if they are both worth keeping.
This is true. But the way things are progressing I think Exum should be ready to start next season at the latest.

What about McBuckets? The Bulls need a good PG depth chart for obvious reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZ-ujyWUWQ

Exum looks better than I expected, and it's easy to see that he's going to be the better PG in the future.

Our offense seems to run better with Burke though. He's a little more experienced, and we get more possessions when he's playing than when he isn't. That's pretty important.
Definitely looks that way. Exum hasn't adjusted fully to the speed of the NBA game, and the ball/player movement isn't as precise when he's on the court. Might just be an issue of familiarity.

With that said, the team has generally performed better with Dante on the court than with Trey on the court, although it's probably safe to assume that the average quality of opponents is also better when Trey is out there. The last couple games, lineups with Dante, Ingles and Hayward have been fun to watch. The decision making and passing ability of Ingles and Hayward definitely make the court look bigger.

A few stats:

Dante
On court per 48 minute score: 100.2 - 98.6 (+1.6)
59% of minutes shared with Booker
32% of minutes shared with Favors
78% of minutes shared with Booker or Favors
53% of minutes shared with Hayward

Trey
On court per 48 minute score: 104.4 - 106.2 (-1.8)
40% of minutes shared with Booker
80% of minutes shared with Favors
88% of minutes shared with Booker or Favors
84% of minutes shared with Hayward

And we may never get a #2 pg as good as Burke. If Burke moves to the bench, his stats will only get better, so his trade value won't diminish much. Also, here is a wild idea to consider: Burke is only going to improve as well. . .I just don't understand the absolute need to get rid of Burke even if you are high on Exum.

Disagree with everything, except keeping Burke for now. Utah should continue starting Burke, until they find a decent offer, but they should definitely be shopping him. Keeping him as a backup is a great way to chop his trade value and create a malcontent in the locker room. Trade value has more to do with than just stats. As soon as you move him to the bench, you lose leverage in negotiating trade value, no matter what kind of numbers he puts up against other backups. Also, teams take into consideration the fact that backup stats come against backup players. Even so, I'd consider keeping him as a backup if I believed it wouldn't create tension among the team, but I don't.

What reason do we have to trade Burke right now? Exum isn't ready to start, and Burke's value is low.

And lets please deal with facts, not conjecture, as you're prone to do from time to time.

This thread reeks of veteran hate, and Tray isn't even a veteran yet. Keep boiling the hate down boys. 6 games is all that matters.