What's new

CHINA vs the NBA.

yamers

Cliff notes:

Rockets gm morey tweeted in support of HK and the company that broadcasts the NBA in china has severed all ties with the biggest most popular nba team in china(bc of yao ming) at the drop of a dime.

I am very interested to see how this potential domino plays out. Is adam silver going to come out and say something? Are steve kerr and popovich gona say something?

NBA could potentially lose millions in the coming weeks over this.

Ps anybody see the most recent south park episode? Its pretty much spot on with this.

Btw, i think this is moreys way to ram it up the fetitas for not going into the luxary tax or singing mike to a proper contract. There is no way morey was this clueless.

Last edited:
They're still making South Park episodes? What are the kids now grown up?

I support the Hong Kong protesters rebuking the communist government in China. You can see how sensitive and autocratic China is through this.

Woj liked it and now all of the comments on his tweets are Chinese people with death threats and NMSL, "Ni Ma Si Le” which means your mom’s dead. Chinese people love involving parents in insults. Most of them are obvious bots too.

Last edited:
lol. But why? Houston is making tons of money from China every year. What Morey said was perfectly fine if they decided that they don't want Chinese money any more. But is that so?

The NBA is laughable...they pretend to be woke to progressive values and completely cave when their money is compromised.

There's nothing more cringey than when giant corporations pretend to have "values."

Their values are making money. That's it.

If Chinese businesses want to ban the Houston Rockets over a tweet, it just makes them look foolish and authoritarian, justifying Morey's comment in the first place.
But sterling was forced to sell the clippers due to his comments also. Morey should've saw it coming

Someone said it above about the league pretending to be woke. Standing up for players/coaches/whoever saying whatever, but then when it hits a money source, the Rockets are having meetings about whether or not to fire Morey? Good hell.

The funny thing is when I read the headline to this thread I thought of the new South Park episode.

RIP Winnie the Pooh.

And there's nothing wrong with corporations staying out of politics but if you do make the mistake of getting involved you best not be a hypocrite.
It’s like companies making “brave” social/political stands on things that are generally appetizing to the American palate, but superficially viewed as edgy. None of these companies would take these “brave” stands if it weren’t also financially expedient. Trying voicing your opinion against China and whoever sponsors you, especially if they’re selling (and making) a lot of shoes in China, and they’ll tell you to STFU.