What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Colorado Shooting

The Thriller

At risk of sounding like a dick, I’ll say it anyway. What are YOU doing to change it? Besides posting about it on an internet message board, of course. You are always so quick to jump on here and rail against anything and everything you disagree with. Are you running for local office? Are you meeting with your elected officials, pushing to get your ideals enacted? Or are you doing nothing more than whining about this country?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
This is a fair question, my wife and I do everything but run for local office. We attend group meetings that support sensible gun legislation, we donate hundreds annually to candidates and groups that support sensible gun legislation, we call and email our local officials probably at least once a quarter, and we have yet to miss a single caucus and election in our married life (we've been married for 6 years). Since my wife and I are very pro-life and believe that being pro-life entails much more than forcing a woman to give birth, we are very active with the group, "Moms Demand Action." Enter this link to learn more about them and the sensible gun reforms they've successfully helped lobby for.

Unfortunately, since we live in Utah and in Utah's 4th congressional district, our ability to really change anything is extremely limited due to the Senate structure and the way Utah allows gerrymandering. You see, Utah provides just as many Senate candidates as California, despite California having nearly 10x the population. And unlike California which has outlawed gerrymandering and has an independent commission that draws the congressional maps, Utah's own legislature controlled by Republicans draws up the maps. So as you can see below, the 4th is gerrymandered like ****. I mean, you tell me why people in West Valley City should be packed into a district with people from Fountain Green?

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 7.57.06 AM.png

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I really hate to do this to you, but what's an assault rifle? Inside the pro-gun community they call them SBRs or Scary Black Rifles, because when people talk about banning "assault rifles" it seems like they are talking about the cosmetic characteristics.

For instance, this is a .22cal semi-automatic rifle.
1103.jpg

It is functionally similar to this, a tricked out AR-15 that fires a .223cal round.
Tricked-Out-AR.jpg

Neither gun fires faster than the other in general practice, nor is one incompatible with large magazine capacities. How do you ban one and not the other without using purely cosmetic features to distinguish them?

Although those guns are similar functionally one of those guns makes gun nuts wet in their vaginas and gives them fever dreams of killing a bunch of bad guys (or libs) and the other one is used sometimes by hunters.
Are those two guns the same price? If not, why arent they the same price? Why do people love to show off one of those two guns but not the other one? When there are shootings how come we never see the first gun being used? Why do we always see militia types carrying the second gun around rather than the first?

Although those guns are similar one of them is treated much differently and perceived much differently than the other which does matter imo.

Beer

@The Thriller So what are your ideas on how to stop this? I think it's been pretty well established that banning assault weapons would just be a show law and wouldn't really accomplish much of anything. I don't own guns, I don't like guns, but I really haven't heard of any law that could just be passed that would actually curb this stuff. The are way too many guns out there, you pass a bunch of random laws and the only people hurt are the reasonable law abiding citizens. Psychos and criminals or people that snap will always have easy access to firearms in America.

But I'm open to hearing some ideas on what could be done.

Eminence

Are firearms (both the small ones and assault-rifle look-a-likes) so cheap in USA, that even those who work with minimum wage can afford them?
Does anybody know somebody who would buy a good looking/working expensive firearm instead of going to similarly priced vacation or something similar?

Don't know on your second question, as I'd prefer the vacation.

But on your first one, basically, you can get an operational firearm for $300-$400. So about 1/2 a months rent in cheap rent locations. And that's with prices going up recently, I know someone who'd picked up a couple functional Mosin's back a couple years ago at $100 each.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Although those guns are similar functionally one of those guns makes gun nuts wet in their vaginas and gives them fever dreams of killing a bunch of bad guys (or libs) and the other one is used sometimes by hunters.
Are those two guns the same price? If not, why arent they the same price? Why do people love to show off one of those two guns but not the other one? When there are shootings how come we never see the first gun being used? Why do we always see militia types carrying the second gun around rather than the first?

Although those guns are similar one of them is treated much differently and perceived much differently than the other which does matter imo.

Eliminate the 2nd one and they will start using the first one. Yes, they want to use the second one because it makes them feel "badass", but any will do in a pinch I imagine. If you are set on shooting up a supermarket I imagine anything you can get that fires bullets will be just fine.

Also, I haven't seen anything on it yet, but have they released what the shooter used in this shooting? I haven't dug very deep either, just read a couple articles on yahoo.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Are firearms (both the small ones and assault-rifle look-a-likes) so cheap in USA, that even those who work with minimum wage can afford them?
Does anybody know somebody who would buy a good looking/working expensive firearm instead of going to similarly priced vacation or something similar?
Guns can be had pretty cheap at gunshows, or from private sellers, and often they are stolen, which is free. But most often in these shootings the guns were acquired through completely legal means.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
What is it about Colorado with these things? The theater shooting, Columbine, this one, I think there were one or two others as well. Seems they get more than their fair share of this stuff. I would be interested to see the per capita numbers on mass shootings by state or something.

Red

What is it about Colorado with these things? The theater shooting, Columbine, this one, I think there were one or two others as well. Seems they get more than their fair share of this stuff. I would be interested to see the per capita numbers on mass shootings by state or something.
Some of the figures here show gun death rates per 100,000 for the states.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Some of the figures here show gun death rates per 100,000 for the states.

Thanks.

Cali, Florida and Texas were expected to be on top in the mass shooting thing, just from a population standpoint. Which really puts an interesting light on Washington and Colorado as the next most.

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Eliminate the 2nd one and they will start using the first one.

I disagree. Or at least I think they will use the first one less.

The second one envokes a certain mindset and feeling for some people that the first one simply can't match.

I don't think people even had the second one back when I was growing up and I don't think there were as many mass shootings. I think holding that badass looking gun makes people feel a certain way. Like they can do anything and they can't be stopped. Even though in practical use there isn't much difference between the two.

I doubt I would hear my co workers bragging about and showing pictures of their gun if they only had the first gun GF posted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Gameface

IT'S TIME TO GET YOUR GAMEFACE ON!
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I disagree. Or at least I think they will use the first one less.

The second one envokes a certain mindset and feeling for some people that the first one simply can't match.

I don't think people even had the second one back when I was growing up and I don't think there were as many mass shootings. I think holding that badass looking gun makes people feel a certain way. Like they can do anything and they can't be stopped. Even though in practical use there isn't much difference between the two.

I doubt I would hear my co workers bragging about and showing pictures of their gun if they only had the first gun GF posted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
So from a legislation perspective, do you use cosmetic features as a basis for regulation? Model numbers (that are chosen largely based on cosmetic features)?

An even less conservative supreme court upheld the right of people to own semi-auto handguns as a means of self defense. If you want new gun regulations to stand up to legal challenge you're gonna need to be on some pretty solid footing.