• Just as good as Gobert

• He's still a future All Star or DPOY

• Still a future 30+ MPG player

• Zubac level starter

• Bench player

Results are only viewable after voting.

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Walker was the golden child last year. You got absolutely chastised of you pointed out his shortcomings. The general consensus among the board was that he had the potential to be better than Gobert which means at the very least people here thought he had multiple all star appearances and a DPOY in his future.

So far this year he has looked closer to Ostertag than Gobert. Do people still believe?

Offensively he will be better than Gobert and at times already is but is still very inconsistent. On the defensive level I dont think he will catch Gobert. Gobert was an elite defender and one of the all time best at defending the paint. I dont see him being an all-star but its possible. I think if he gets his corner three down and gets more consistent he is a very good starter on a good team. If he cant shoot much and is still inconsistent on both ends he is a situational player that is still a starter and some games plays 30+ and some gets 20.

I hardly watched last year. Haven't been very impressed this year. He doesn't play the most important minutes, ever, on either end. Seems like that should mean something. It's like Hardy lets him crack 25 minutes and then can't wait to not let him touch the floor again.

There are only a handful of guys in NBA history that can compare to Gobert, let’s be honest here. I think it’s an unfair comparison but I understand why it’s made. It’s hard to become an all star in this league and/or win the DPOY. It would take an exceptional development, and while Kessler was an amazing rookie, I don’t think he’s the type of prospect with sky high potential. I think his career ends up something in between a Zubac level starter and Poetl/Capela level starter.

I have confidence that Kessler will become a very good player and watching Wemby I'm just super happy Jazz has a 7'1" athletic young big in their roster.

I'm not sure he is gonna catch Gobert in accomplishments, but I wouldn't be surprised if that happened because of the blocking instincts he displayed all of last year and for having softer hands.

I'm not reading too much into this slow start. He is young and young players are often inconsistent and streaky.

I still think he will grow into a really solid center but we are seeing why it is important not to go all in win now based on young guys that haven't proven much.

He's a lot better than he's shown this year. I don't think last year was a fluke.

But he won't catch Gobert defensively. Gobert was one of the best defenders of all time.

I expect he'll grow into a solid starting level center, with solid offense and good defense.

Offensively he will be better than Gobert and at times already is but is still very inconsistent. On the defensive level I dont think he will catch Gobert. Gobert was an elite defender and one of the all time best at defending the paint. I dont see him being an all-star but its possible. I think if he gets his corner three down and gets more consistent he is a very good starter on a good team. If he cant shoot much and is still inconsistent on both ends he is a situational player that is still a starter and some games plays 30+ and some gets 20.
i disagree with this. offensively he might become more talented or skilled than Gobert, but my prediction is that he will never be as effective or productive as an NBA player as Gobert. Gobert's peak was 16 ppg on 68% TS over the course of a season with multiple 15 ppg seasons - I don't think Kessler ever gets there. Just not nearly as explosive a finisher as Rudy was at his peak.

He is too nice a guy. I wish he played with more intensity and played angry. I like the offensive fluidity but I wish he would play with more force and create more foul problems for the other team
This is a good point. One thing that separated Rudy was he played with a chip on his shoulder. He took it personally. He never hung his head when he messed up or got posterized or whatever, he just came at you again on the next play and was determined to take you down. Kessler needs a little bit of this for sure. A lot of this would be better.

I have confidence that Kessler will become a very good player and watching Wemby I'm just super happy Jazz has a 7'1" athletic young big in their roster.
Man, when do we play the Spurs? I gotta see this. I don't see Kessler putting up any resistance to Wemby. What would he do against him?

And where is Kessler hiding this athleticism? Not saying you're wrong, but the eye test has him looking average or below as an athlete.

i disagree with this. offensively he might become more talented or skilled than Gobert, but my prediction is that he will never be as effective or productive as an NBA player as Gobert. Gobert's peak was 16 ppg on 68% TS over the course of a season with multiple 15 ppg seasons - I don't think Kessler ever gets there. Just not nearly as explosive a finisher as Rudy was at his peak.

Kessler's offensive game is already more elegant than Rudy, but the thing about Rudy is that if he embarrassed himself 3/10 times he still dunked it the other 7 times. He also got to the line at a very high rate and was a (relatively) a much better shooter there. His career FTr is .719 and even shooting 64% from the line is still good offense. Rudy's game is not pretty, but very effective. He is/was a special athlete.

Man, when do we play the Spurs? I gotta see this. I don't see Kessler putting up any resistance to Wemby. What would he do against him?

And where is Kessler hiding this athleticism? Not saying you're wrong, but the eye test has him looking average or below as an athlete.

I remember there being a big discussion about this last year. I don't know why we started billing Kessler as a great athlete. He's huge and an effective player because of his size, but I can't seriously call him an athletic C.

His issues this year seem mental. He needs to touch a booby. R-E-L-A-X

Remember that year Gordon missed a lot of shots and was constantly down on himself... that's what Walker is kind of reminding me of right now.

Kessler's offensive game is already more elegant than Rudy, but the thing about Rudy is that if he embarrassed himself 3/10 times he still dunked it the other 7 times. He also got to the line at a very high rate and was a (relatively) a much better shooter there. His career FTr is .719 and even shooting 64% from the line is still good offense. Rudy's game is not pretty, but very effective. He is/was a special athlete.
Rudy also tried some stuff.

When Walker has tried stuff he has embarrassed himself. In the preseason he attempted some post fadeaway that was as ugly if not uglier than any jumper I've seen Rudy attempt. Last game he had some weird post pass to absolutely no one.