What's new

Conley hamstringing again

It’s now or never for Conley. If he doesn’t play then his off-season can begin in a week. If he does play and reinjures it, then his off-season will begin in a week. If he plays and doesn’t reinjure it, then he has a chance at a ring.

And for the life of me I don’t understand why we didn’t work to shore up our PG situation this past summer? How much was Curry signed for? Why didn’t we pick up Rivers? Seems to me like either would’ve been 100x better than Thomas, played PG, and come at a low(er) cost. Right?

I think it's pretty clear the Clippers have caught on. It's been the same game all four: the day before, Conley is listed as questionable. The day of, he's listed as OUT.

They'd be stupid to keep falling for it. Yeah, it's a great 'oh ****' move if they do it again for game five and then, bam, he's ready to play but let's be honest: that's not likely to happen. So, any edge we may have gotten from it originally is played out and now it's just creating way more questions than answers. At the end of the day, in terms of injury lexicon (and not just the word), questionable means there's question whether he'll play or not. I think we're beyond that point. End the charade and list him as doubtful. If, by some miracle, he's able to play, then beautiful!
two weeks has been the protocol before... it will be two weeks on Wednesday. If he doesn't play then I think its pretty safe to assume he's done for the series (and season). Tomorrow is a must win game (for reals). Tomorrow is the full on panic day for me if he can't play. Up until now it would be breaking their normal protocol to have him back.

It’s now or never for Conley. If he doesn’t play then his off-season can begin in a week. If he does play and reinjures it, then his off-season will begin in a week. If he plays and doesn’t reinjure it, then he has a chance at a ring.

And for the life of me I don’t understand why we didn’t work to shore up our PG situation this past summer? How much was Curry signed for? Why didn’t we pick up Rivers? Seems to me like either would’ve been 100x better than Thomas, played PG, and come at a low(er) cost. Right?
Curry was under contract and traded. You can go ahead and bury that one... we had no shot... were there other options... yup!

I do, his private trainer does not have any business on our bench during games. Outside of that, it’s fine that he has personal trainers. But they should not be involved during a game. Imagine if all 14 guys had their own personal staff on our bench during every playoff game and everyone had to consult on spur of the moment things. No. Dude thinks hes more special than the 14 other guys on the roster when he says he’s so “humble”.
How does a personal staff member have anything to do with being humble? It's not like they are over there waving palm leaves when he sits on the bench.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I have been of the opinion/uniformed guess that Conley has felt like he could play, and it's load management/coachdecision to try to let it heal if we can "afford to".

reputation means a lot in most "games" or enterprises/political causes/corporations/governments. It's always gonna a public relations problem/guessing game to a large extent. But reasonablyh talented and intelligent players will look at policies like this and estimate their relative chances with different management characteristics.

Our management will look better than most to the better playersl

This is a long term win for us to be this way..
Yes kind of. I am not saying he should play if he has a really good chance of hurting it immediately. You shouldn't be reckless. I think we are regarded as a high class organization but that doesn't get us a ton... folks still mock Utah and the Jazz (which is fine). Winning a title is the single biggest thing we could do to gain notoriety and get a big win long term.

Example... Quin always keeps it classy with the refs... yet we still get screwed. Doc, CP, and many others get dirty and sully their names... they also get more calls due to their behavior.

How does a personal staff member have anything to do with being humble? It's not like they are over there waving palm leaves when he sits on the bench.

Because he’s the only one who feels entitled enough out of the 15 guys to have his personal trainer on our bench during a game. It’s absolutely a “I’m too good for the same staff the rest of you all have” type of mentality. Having his own staff with their own opinions is fine. But they are not part of the organization or group that’s in a playoff series and they have no business on the bench during a game. That doesn’t build cohesion or lighten tension, that makes it worse and builds divide.

I think they’re also a little afraid of listing him as active because it looks like they’re factoring non-health issues into the decision.

two weeks has been the protocol before... it will be two weeks on Wednesday. If he doesn't play then I think its pretty safe to assume he's done for the series (and season). Tomorrow is a must win game (for reals). Tomorrow is the full on panic day for me if he can't play. Up until now it would be breaking their normal protocol to have him back.
Agreed. I'm just not confident he will. :/

Players risk playing when they are hurt
Durant played hurt for Warriors
K Malone played hurt for Lakers
Even Rudy played hurt couple years ago
Conley should make the final decision whether to play or not
Conley is a warrior and most likely would risk playing

I think they’re also a little afraid of listing him as active because it looks like they’re factoring non-health issues into the decision.
It looks like they are licking their finger and placing it in the wind to me.

Sounds like Harden is deciding he gets to play tonight... it could be incredibly short sighted but these guys know their bodies... just depends on if they are honest with themselves.

Is Conley a warrior though?

Because he’s the only one who feels entitled enough out of the 15 guys to have his personal trainer on our bench during a game. It’s absolutely a “I’m too good for the same staff the rest of you all have” type of mentality. Having his own staff with their own opinions is fine. But they are not part of the organization or group that’s in a playoff series and they have no business on the bench during a game. That doesn’t build cohesion or lighten tension, that makes it worse and builds divide.
Are you really knowledgeable enough about the team dynamic and his staff to really speak on this or are you just speculating that it's a selfish thing because you don't like him?

Because LeBron James has had his own medical staff for years and he's doing things at his age and years played that nobody thought possible. Seems like Don is doing the same thing.

I have always been given advice that I should consult with two doctors before making an important medical decision. Considering these guys make 100s of millions with the hope of making 100s of millions more, do you blame them for paying for another opinion? Wouldn't you? Would you 100% just trust your work's doctor if they gave you workers comp medical attention that you questioned?

Idk what’s going on tbh. Maybe it’s worse than we think. They actually cleared Mike for the last 2 weeks of the season, and wouldn’t clear Donovan. He’s questionable for tomorrow, which is no surprise, but it feels like we’re headed towards out.

Sounds like Harden is deciding he gets to play tonight... it could be incredibly short sighted but these guys know their bodies... just depends on if they are honest with themselves.
Let’s see how this goes tonight. KD thought he knew his body too, and snapped his achillies a few plays later.

Are you really knowledgeable enough about the team dynamic and his staff to really speak on this or are you just speculating that it's a selfish thing because you don't like him?

Because LeBron James has had his own medical staff for years and he's doing things at his age and years played that nobody thought possible. Seems like Don is doing the same thing.

I have always been given advice that I should consult with two doctors before making an important medical decision. Considering these guys make 100s of millions with the hope of making 100s of millions more, do you blame them for paying for another opinion? Wouldn't you? Would you 100% just trust your work's doctor if they gave you workers comp medical attention that you questioned?

You can consult two doctors. You don’t go pick up the doctor giving you a second opinion and take them over to your other doctor for them to tell them they’re wrong. As I’ve stated multiple times. I don’t have an issue with him having his own people. I have a problem when he’s mixing them into our games/bench. This isn’t hard to get through your head or understand. His personal trainers have no place on our bench during games or we may as well just start only hiring the people he hand chooses.

Between McMahon and Locke I have no confidence Mike plays tomorrow... Locke seemed pretty doubtful. I think he might truly be done.

DM needs to go for 50 tomorrow... Clips gonna have to miss a few of their open threes.

This. Sucks.

Between McMahon and Locke I have no confidence Mike plays tomorrow... Locke seemed pretty doubtful. I think he might truly be done.

DM needs to go for 50 tomorrow... Clips gonna have to miss a few of their open threes.

This. Sucks.
It's very discouraging. The most promising Jazz season since 1998 is about to end well short of what any of us had hoped. I worry we're bungling Mitchell's peak years and he's going to get fed-up with losing in the semifinals every year and bolt.

And I can't say I don't blame him. I've thrown around this stat a lot over the last few years but it rings true currently: if Utah doesn't advance against the Clippers, they will have the third longest WCF drought behind Minnesota and Sacramento - not surprisingly, the two worst-run franchises in the NBA currently. That says a lot.

I don't trust the Jazz FO. If they had kept Donovan out, the Jazz may have lost to the Grizzlies. Mike himself said before the start of the Clippers series that this is the playoffs and he was ready to play. That was a week ago.