What's new

Conley hamstringing again

So apparently Bojan and Royce do a great job on Kawhi and George Paul, so maybe there are some benefits to not starting Mike (I did not say the benefits outweigh detriments).

All things considered, I think it makes a ton of sense to have Conley strictly spell Mitchell whenever they decide they want to test Mike on the floor.

I don’t have much hope that Conley will be able to last through the playoffs without getting sat (if we’re relying on him heavily as a rule). I’d much rather find a middle-road that keeps Mike healthy.
I'm down with bringing Conley off the bench for a few games when he returns in this series, just to let the Gobert/Conley lineups cook while also keeping his minutes low.

I have decided that I'm ok with Conley sitting out this series. We don't need him that badly in this series. We will need him vs. CP3 and Kyrie though. Let him focus on resting for the next round and the other guys can carry his load for this one.

That's just not how they do it. Not sure why it's so ingrained, but it is.
He's a Starter and Starters have to, you know, start. Regardless of minutes restrictions, team chemistry, matchups, maximizing talent, or any other so-called "valid" reason. Starters gotta start.

I still think last year we would have been better had Conley been coming off the bench. Ingles was stellar in his starts and we were winning. That game when they said Conley would come off the bench then someone over-rode that decision at the last second really threw us off our mojo at that time. But there was no going back.

So it ain't happening now.

He's a Starter and Starters have to, you know, start. Regardless of minutes restrictions, team chemistry, matchups, maximizing talent, or any other so-called "valid" reason. Starters gotta start.

I still think last year we would have been better had Conley been coming off the bench. Ingles was stellar in his starts and we were winning. That game when they said Conley would come off the bench then someone over-rode that decision at the last second really threw us off our mojo at that time. But there was no going back.

So it ain't happening now.
The way I take it reading Mike's attitude is he believes he can play.
Too bad we don't put him on the roster and let him be available even tonight if we need him for a few minutes in a tight spot.

Must win.

The way I take it reading Mike's attitude is he believes he can play.
Too bad we don't put him on the roster and let him be available even tonight if we need him for a few minutes in a tight spot.

Must win.
Honestly I don't see why they list people as out anyway. The injured reserve list is gone now. That's why we carry basically, what, 14 players now? Just have him dress and don't play him. But the option is there in dire dire straits.

Since the Jazz won Game 1, I feel a lot better about sitting him out tonight.

If (hopefully not ever) the Jazz are down 3-2 in the series or something like that is if I wonder he'll come back.

Since the Jazz won Game 1, I feel a lot better about sitting him out tonight.

If (hopefully not ever) the Jazz are down 3-2 in the series or something like that is if I wonder he'll come back.
I bet he would be playing tonight had the Jazz lost Game 1.

I think they'll sit him until the Jazz fall behind in the series, if they do.

Anyone know our defensive numbers with Mike out and joe in? The flip side of this is maybe we are a little bit defensively with him out. But it’s still concerning because if Donovan doesn’t play well we lose.

if Donovan plays decent with Conley in the game we can still win.

Anyone know our defensive numbers with Mike out and joe in? The flip side of this is maybe we are a little bit defensively with him out. But it’s still concerning because if Donovan doesn’t play well we lose.

if Donovan plays decent with Conley in the game we can still win.
It isn't difficult to look up stats:

Slightly better with Joe in for playoffs, but Mike has much better net numbers due to his offensive efficiencies. Opposite for regular season:

Against the Clippers, I think the Jazz match up better better having Joe, Royce/Bojan on the floor at much as possible when Kawai and PG are on the court as they match up better. Keeping those two contained will be the key to our success in this series.

That said, having Mike on the floor when Donovan is off at all times would be a much better option. I just worry based on past Conley injuries that he'll be out the entire series no matter what. That was my concern with him all along. People complained about Ded Exum 's injuries (and rightly so), but Conley's injury history isn't much better.

He better be ready for the suns if we play them then they are balling. I’m not sure we beat them without Conley. Also if he is out for the rest of the playoffs should we re-sign him? I vote no...he’s a great player but if you can’t play when we need you what’s the point?

He better be ready for the suns if we play them then they are balling. I’m not sure we beat them without Conley. Also if he is out for the rest of the playoffs should we re-sign him? I vote no...he’s a great player but if you can’t play when we need you what’s the point?

I vote yes, but at a very discounted rate and with him coming off the bench to prolong his productivity and avoid injury.

Honestly I don't see why they list people as out anyway. The injured reserve list is gone now. That's why we carry basically, what, 14 players now? Just have him dress and don't play him. But the option is there in dire dire straits.

Because gambling is a thing and lack of transparency with injury information is the one of the fastest ways to start getting your employees in trouble with it.

So what’s the downside in having him dress (but maybe not playing him)?

I’m down to throw every curveball at the Clippers and having every option at our disposal. Still strongly feel like the way to test this is him playing strictly as Donovan’s backup for at least a game. Not sure why the idea of him coming back later and playing heavier minutes would be smarter.