What's new

Conley Officially a Jazzman

Is that correct? The salary cap just says this: "BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception." http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

which implies that as long as they use the BAE first, before the Room exception, they would be OK.

I just listened to an interview with Tony (which I'm pretty sure happened after this article) where he says we have the 3.6 and 4.7 million exceptions. Dude needs to get his **** straight on this cap stuff

Hmm, they can get the BAE if they spend up to the salary cap I thought.

Yeah, I also think Tony Jones might be wrong on that.

Also feel like the Jazz could really maneuver well and make a trade before FA to get us over the salary cap to get the full MLE. If we are sitting right below the salary cap to make the trade go through we could make one more trade using the 125% trade rule to push us over the cap. Hence letting us get the full MLE.

Nope, but it seems you already figured that out as per your post in the other thread.

Gallo for Favors and Exum.

They need a C badly and this gives them that and a young piece.

This gives us a stretch 4 and frees up about 5M.

Who says no? I think the Clips def say no.

Reactions: MVP
Gallo for Favors and Exum.

They need a C badly and this gives them that and a young piece.

This gives us a stretch 4 and frees up about 5M.

Who says no? I think the Clips def say no.

Favors for Gallo straight up would work, the Jazz wouldn't give them dedex as well

Exum and Favors for love works.

So does Exum and Favors for Porter. This really interests me. Maybe the Bulls would do it since Porter is expiring. Let’s see who they draft I guess.

Is that correct? The salary cap just says this: "BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used its Taxpayer Mid-Level or Room Mid-Level exception." http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

which implies that as long as they use the BAE first, before the Room exception, they would be OK.
One paragraph up from the quoted:
ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only to teams that drop far enough below the cap to use cap room, and therefore lose their Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and Taxpayer Mid-Level exceptions (see question number 26). This exception cannot be used if the team already has used the Bi-Annual, Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. This exception becomes available once the team salary drops far enough that the team loses its other exceptions, and expires following the last day of the regular season. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following:
If you use cap space--as the Jazz are to acquire Conley--you lose the full MLE and BAE.

We can waive him and if he clears the waiver wire I believe we could sign him to a new contract then. But we would not have money to re-sign him for much since we would not have bird rights. We are better off keeping him and using our MLE and TPE and keeping Favors. It actually gives us more money to sign players and more flexibility in the future for trades and moves.
Why do the Jazz need to waive him? They can just decline his option--in which case, he doesn't have to clear waivers. What am I missing?

Why do the Jazz need to waive him? They can just decline his option--in which case, he doesn't have to clear waivers. What am I missing?

That is not the way his contract works. Its not an option. It becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by July 5th.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/utah-jazz/derrick-favors-6884/

I wish it was a team option, then we could decline and try to re-sign him for less. He could clear the waivers though. But if we are going that route I would just look at other players.

My understanding is that Memphis declined the trade at the deadline, not Utah.
If the package was the same, fair enough. What additional piece from the Jazz would have made the trade worthwhile at the deadline--in order for the Jazz to keep the full MLE? A collection of 2nds, and Bradley/Neto? That stuff probably doesn't move the needle for Memphis.

Similar topic: This trade is agreed to in principle. If the Jazz and Grizzlies can find a third team interested in a Rubio S&T, with Memphis acquiring an additional asset, perhaps the Jazz can retain the full MLE.

Andy Larsen says the same as Tony in his article, assuming Favors is on the team.

The structure of the trade also limits the Jazz’s free agency cap room. Come July, the Jazz will have only the small mid-level exception, a total of $4.7 million per season, to spend on free agents.

That is not the way his contract works. Its not an option. It becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by July 5th.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/utah-jazz/derrick-favors-6884/

I wish it was a team option, then we could decline and try to re-sign him for less. He could clear the waivers though. But if we are going that route I would just look at other players.
What teams have the space, and would be interested in claiming Favs?

I think the best bet is to hold onto Favors and Exum to see how stuff shakes out. Exum isn't going to lose value and can only gain value if he shows he can play. I would like to see if we could get the lakers a little more cap room with our 4 million trade exception by absorbing one of their deep bench players and a signed and traded Caruso. We get the players, they erase capholds with no returning salary.