What's new

Conley wants to resign. “Utah’s got me.”

Mike has already made about 200 mil
How much does one still need to be set for life
He would have to take much less than any where else to stay here
Maybe he would?
That would make sense if he wasn't taking money from a billionaire. It's really hard to justify playing for less than your worth when a multi billionaire is cutting the checks and making a fortune off the team in the long run

Morgan and Brantley just won't figure into any real future the Jazz have. The best case is something like Niang, and we already have a Niang. Our hope lies with Oni, Doke, and Hughes.

I think Morgan is going to stick around - they can get him on a super cheap team option deal and he's insurance in case Niang gets a UFA offer too good to pass up.

I think Morgan is going to stick around - they can get him on a super cheap team option deal and he's insurance in case Niang gets a UFA offer too good to pass up.
Niang getting the bag would probably mean a championship for us, or close to it. We could replace him with a ring chaser at that point.

They don’t always include an amnesty in the new cba.

Also there are lots of ways to replace Favs. He’s valuable for sure but a stretch five could open up some things offensively... same thing with a passing big... Boucher in Toronto blocks shots and hits threes and he signed for slightly less than Favs. I love Favs he’s great... of our top 8 guys he might be the easiest to replace.

Investing in a center to replace your backup center in 3 years is some of the dumbest asset planning I can think of. Unless you have an injury he has no way to get on the floor. Even a guy like Tillman might have had a chance to play some along those guys. The Dok pick was dumb... he could be the next coming of Clint Capela we may not find out until year 4.
Centers take a while to develop. Hell, there were like 3 of us that believed in Gobert after his entire rookie season. 75% of the board would have traded him for a late first. If the Jazz want the ideal backup for Rudy, especially when we have to reduce Rudy's minutes we will need to develop him. Nobody else uses the position like we do.

I'm past looking at all the salary cap business. I don't know what the circumstances are, but I think Mike is staying at this point. You just don't get fits like he is in any business and you figure it out.

I think so much depends on playoff performance. First or second round disappointment and I think pieces will fall off the roster. Decent WCF showing and I think there will be a priority list and some sacrifices will have to be made. Finals, and really a finals win, I think they open the pocket book and try to make another run next year.

Yes can only go up or down 8% of the previous years value. So could do 20M, 18.4M, 16.9M... not that big of a benefit.

Could do like 3/45 and have the final year only like 3M guaranteed. Spreads the cap hit a bit and gives him extra money if he’s cooked by then.
But that's within the same contract. When he expires, they could (in theory) sign him to veteran's minimum, right?

I’m so used to players NOT wanting to be in Utah, that I initially thought Conley wanted to quit. Phew glad I read it wrong
Well, you read it "right" but, eh, whatever, you know.

Centers take a while to develop. Hell, there were like 3 of us that believed in Gobert after his entire rookie season. 75% of the board would have traded him for a late first. If the Jazz want the ideal backup for Rudy, especially when we have to reduce Rudy's minutes we will need to develop him. Nobody else uses the position like we do.
No lie I was a devout Rudy believer before he even played an NBA game.
I went to the free summer scrimmage the jazz held right after Rudy was drafted and couldn't stop gushing about him. I wish I could find my posts about that scrimmage.

I remember Rudy was everywhere. There was no where on the court that anyone could hide. His energy, tenacity, and motor were off the charts.

I mean it was a scrimmage among teammates and he was a rookie who should be just trying to fit in and be friendly and figure out his place. Nope. He played way too hard and angry and I could tell that people were annoyed by his play. Then the whistle would blow and the game would end and he would flip a switch and be all nice.

It was pretty awesome to watch. And I had no idea who he was when we drafted him.

Hell, I was begging for him to get more minutes from day one. And he should have been starting at least a half season sooner than he did without a doubt.

I'm so happy that people outside Utah are really starting to see Rudy's value.

Funny thing is as much as I love Rudy I thought he was overpaid. I get why he is underappreciated but when you watch the jazz enough you see how Rudy is everything to the jazz. His story and rise to nba all star is quite remarkable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I went to the free summer scrimmage the jazz held right after Rudy was drafted and couldn't stop gushing about him. I wish I could find my posts about that scrimmage.

I remember Rudy was everywhere. There was no where on the court that anyone could hide. His energy, tenacity, and motor were off the charts.

I mean it was a scrimmage among teammates and he was a rookie who should be just trying to fit in and be friendly and figure out his place. Nope. He played way too hard and angry and I could tell that people were annoyed by his play. Then the whistle would blow and the game would end and he would flip a switch and be all nice.

It was pretty awesome to watch. And I had no idea who he was when we drafted him.

Hell, I was begging for him to get more minutes from day one. And he should have been starting at least a half season sooner than he did without a doubt.

Funny thing is as much as I love Rudy I thought he was overpaid. I get why he is underappreciated but when you watch the jazz enough you see how Rudy is everything to the jazz. His story and rise to nba all star is quite remarkable.

I was elated the Jazz miraculously got him where and how they did. I remember he was mocked at #10 to Portland on DX for some time and could not believe how he wound up here.

Also, Gobert may have been Sloan’s last gift to the franchise. IIRC, he attended the draft combine with the Jazz crew and made only a few comments, one of them being that Gobert played hard, which is about as high of praise as you can get from Sloan.

I'm pretty sure I remember you posting around that time saying pretty what you are saying here. Especially about Rudy being "everywhere". I feel like I distinctly remember that.

I'm pretty sure I remember you posting around that time saying pretty what you are saying here. Especially about Rudy being "everywhere". I feel like I distinctly remember that.
It was the 2014 scrimmage he was posting about. He liked Hood and Gobert. It is etched into my brain like the words to Hammer Time.

It was the 2014 scrimmage he was posting about. He liked Hood and Gobert. It is etched into my brain like the words to Hammer Time.
The thing about hood was the form on his shot. I hated the hood pick. I didn't like what I saw from him in college. But his shot was beautiful. I hated that whole draft. Didn't like the Exum pick (though I understood it) and didn't like the hood pick.

Hood eventually won me over a bit.

The core 4 years broke my heart so many times.
Rudy was the transition from core 4 to the current Jazz. Give the man a statue.

This is mostly nonsense... sorry man. I was big on Rudy early. Told my dad after his rookie year Kanter should call some movers.

Where does all this centers take a long time to develop ******** come from? There have been a ton of rookie centers that are capable of solid backup minutes.

No other teams drop the big and force midrange shots? We weren’t even the first to do it.

A four year deal with partial guarantees for the last year is the way to go, IMO. If you start him at $12 million on an ascending contract, you can guarantee 6 out of 15 million for year for to give him $45 million guaranteed. That would leave just over 9 million unguarnteed for the last season of his deal. There are quite a few players who really are done in this league who are making good money due to the face that they are on the types of deals. Teams have needed to guaranteed their contracts to use them as trade chips. If we keep Conley on a deal like this and remain competitive over the next few years, a $15 million trade chip could turn out useful in retooling the team.

Edit: We could also add bonuses for example for making the WCF, the finals and/or the ASG. Which one we should offer would depend on how this season plays out as the bonuses should be deemed not likely to not count against the cap while still giving Conley some financial upside if we really make it big.