What's new

Coronavirus

And WHO just ended their trial claiming it’s not effective.

Hard to justify if it’s working if everyone is getting different results. No easy answer unfortunately.
I’ll post more on this later, but the bottom line is that every study is asking a different question. In society, we like simple answers, either something is good or bad. But I’ll post more on this later.

I'm tech illiterate too lol. No worries.

I still don't understand if or how herd immunity works. I mean the flu has been around for a long time and I have had it numerous times. I feel I herd immuned the **** out of the flu but alas, I can still get it I reckon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Herd immunity is more of a theoretical concept. Influenza is a bad example because it is different strains every year.

Herd immunity is more of a theoretical concept. Influenza is a bad example because it is different strains every year.
That's true but you still have some level of defense against normal flu strands right? That's why the 1918 flu was so bad because it was a type that most people had not seen except older people. That's why it was one of the few times old people were less effected because their bodies could fight it better.

Long road back for some survivors. I don’t need to weigh mortality rates to convince me social distancing and face masks are the way I will go. Potential outcomes of this sort are plenty reason enough. Glad I’m living in a state where the governor is a highly intelligent woman and the citizens are acting responsibly, for the most part so far. I understand that can change, and our record in nursing homes is abysmal. Still, for time being, one of only two states where case numbers are falling. At the moment....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/06/09/coronavirus-ventilator-rehabilitation/

Last edited:
I don't know that anyone can give a precise number, but it's sure an odd coincidence that Florida is seeing record numbers of pneumonia deaths.

Historical data is here. I used the same ICD10 codes as the link below uses for "pneumonia".

Florida deaths from pneumonia for an entire year (2019 not available at this link).

Florida (12) 2013 2,504
Florida (12) 2014 2,508
Florida (12) 2015 2,543
Florida (12) 2016 2,637
Florida (12) 2017 2,800
Florida (12) 2018 2,623

Current data (five months's worth) is here:

Florida 7,093 (supposedly only 2,969 covid19-related, meaning still 1,501 over a typical year, and in five months)

Georgia's numbers don't seem all that much out-of-line.

So 7,093 pneumonia deaths?

Do you think there will be different strains of this virus as well?

Do you think there will be different strains of this virus as well?

Obviously, @infection is more qualified to address this. If you do a google search for mutations with this virus, there are presently lots of returns that point to a study suggesting that it has mutated into a strain that is 10x more infectious, but not more deadly. To the best of my knowledge, it has not been peer reviewed and probably best to treat the conclusion cautiously....

Yes, deaths where pneumonia was listed as a contributing factor.

There were similar jumps in NY and NJ - although unlike Florida that could be attributed to being hit hard, being hit first and an overwhealmed health care system.

In Florida there has been a conscientious effort to underreport the numbers.

Don't know about you guys, but the last four months have been a weird dream where time doesn't really exist and you can't distinguish one day from the next.

This dream-like state seems like it's going to bleed into 2021.

dude I’m technologically illiterate.

still think herd immunity is going to be the only way this thing drifts away unfortunately. Gonna be a long couple of years
Spain just released a 61,000 patient study that herd immunity just isn't effective.

Sorry bub

Really wouldn't mind a link to that study tho.

Once we have a vacc and vast innoculations, we can start to clear the fog.

Until then, I would expect it will just continue to simmer with some peaks and valleys across states.

The most disturbing thing about the whole show is stupidity in government. Orders given that actually do more harm than good. Perfectly sensible measures totally ignored. And that's not Trump. Trump knows nothing, can be expected to know nothing. He can only rely on "Experts" who have political ties to the old order of governance. Trump doesn't have the political power to just overthrow all that. And if he did, likely he would just do worse, not better.

The most significant things we can do involve HVAC systems. The shields at business counters are pretty good, but without HVAC filtration and uv light disinfection, it's not actually effective. The business counters can be remodeled to install uv disinfection light from above and below, so cards and cash and paperwork gets disinfected on the spot.

Lots of stupid orders closing swimming pools, which with chlorine as normally used, constitutes a disinfection bath, good for everyone.

homes, apartments, businesses, schools, offices, stores..... the works..... all need disinfection/filtration in the HVAC ducts.

Put down as babe's wise saying..... government is incompetent in everything it does. Better to let people do what they know for themselves.

I was under the impression that this was already well known....

Last edited: