What's new

Coronavirus

Grabbed a drink at Holiday and of 10 customers in the store, five were maskless.

Mandates are useless if not enforced and I’m sure these same individuals are the ones who will complain about everything being closed.

That's one of the main reasons why I’m eager for a shut down. Time to hit the reset button. Maybe next time Utahns will act in a responsible and civic minded manner. So much community spread going around and citizens STILL aren’t acting responsible.

Trump wore a mask today in front of cameras.
That's new.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

“This was the week airborne transmission became a big deal in the public discussion about covid-19. Over 200 scientists from around the world cosigned a letter to the World Health Organization urging it to take seriously the growing evidence that the coronavirus can be transmitted through the air. WHO stopped short of redefining SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes covid-19) as airborne but did acknowledge that more research is “urgently needed to investigate such instances and assess their significance for transmission of COVID-19.”

“I honestly don’t know what people are waiting for,” says microbiologist Chad Roy of Tulane University in the US. “It doesn’t take WHO coming out to make a proclamation that it’s airborne for us to appreciate this is an airborne disease. I don’t know how much clearer it needs to be in terms of scientific evidence.”

Congratulations, Utah!
We have less population than Missouri, Oklahoma, Kentucky or Oregon, but more Covid-19 cases than each of them!
So much winning!

Congratulations, Utah!
We have less population than Missouri, Oklahoma, Kentucky or Oregon, but more Covid-19 cases than each of them!
So much winning!
And yet the deaths:

Missouri - 1,117
Oklahoma - 422
Kentucky - 625
Oregon - 234
Utah - 215

Further, let’s break this down by deaths per 1M population:

Missouri - 182
Oklahoma - 107
Kentucky - 140
Oregon - 55.4
Utah - 68.1

things are getting grim at work, staff are getting sick. I got tested again today. We've gone back into lockdown, morale is non-existent.

And yet the deaths:

Missouri - 1,117
Oklahoma - 422
Kentucky - 625
Oregon - 234
Utah - 215

Further, let’s break this down by deaths per 1M population:

Missouri - 182
Oklahoma - 107
Kentucky - 140
Oregon - 55.4
Utah - 68.1
That's definitely good news.
We have had a spike of cases as of recently, and we all know that deaths are a trailing indicator. I wonder how much deaths will catch up.
If they don't catch up - awesome! Something to be said for a lot of the population not smoking as much, etc.

That's definitely good news.
We have had a spike of cases as of recently, and we all know that deaths are a trailing indicator. I wonder how much deaths will catch up.
If they don't catch up - awesome! Something to be said for a lot of the population not smoking as much, etc.
Deaths are a trailing indicator... but if people haven’t been paying attention, the deaths continued to drop despite stable levels of new cases for 2.5 months nationally. Utah’s deaths have slightly trended up. But, as of like 4 days ago, there were only 6 countries in the world who had performed more COVID tests than we had just in July alone. The bottom line on this is that when you’re comparing cases versus deaths, the deaths are going to approximate the reality of what’s happening much more so than cases because there’s much more potential noise in measuring cases than deaths.

Below is the Utah death curve. Orange line is the moving 7 day average.

4B291FA6-F201-41BA-BE12-F5604797A1E9.jpeg

From previous comment.

A few days old so this list would now have Germany bumped off, and soon the U.K. and India as we are testing about a million people per day.

So if we pretended that the only tests the US ran were the ones from July, and every other country counted all tests they’ve ran, only Russia and *China would have tested more. I’m not here to say that this fact negates anything, but it’s very important context, because it’s always important to understand that if someone drops 30, that putting up 40 shots to do it is just as relevant (if not more so) than the fact that they dropped 30.

Just want to reiterate that too me, deaths aren't the only thing that matters.

We’re talking about reliability of measurement and not so much that non-deaths are insignificant. Also, while it’s a good approach to take, you have to also understand the ways in which we’re getting information about non-death outcomes. For instance, you’re not going to hear about anyone getting Guillan-barré syndrome from influenza, or a cold, or a vaccine, but they happen. And they’re devastating when you see them. But your likelihood of hearing about it with COVID is going to be very high. And with nearly 3.5M known cases, there won’t be shortages of anecdotes to publish. That’s not to say it’s insignificant, but you have to understand how the information gets brought to our attention and how it compares to any kind of control.

We’re talking about reliability of measurement and not so much that non-deaths are insignificant. Also, while it’s a good approach to take, you have to also understand the ways in which we’re getting information about non-death outcomes. For instance, you’re not going to hear about anyone getting Guillan-barré syndrome from influenza, or a cold, or a vaccine, but they happen. And they’re devastating when you see them. But your likelihood of hearing about it with COVID is going to be very high. And with nearly 3.5M known cases, there won’t be shortages of anecdotes to publish. That’s not to say it’s insignificant, but you have to understand how the information gets brought to our attention and how it compares to any kind of control.
Seems that many more effects from covid last longer than flu effects and flu sickness seems to be relatively short while covid seems to be a minimum of like 14 days

Anywho, what I'm mostly getting at is that I don't want to get covid even if I live.
The general sentiment that I get is that covid only sucks if you die. I am just expressing that I have a different take.

Seems that many more effects from covid last longer than flu effects and flu sickness seems to be relatively short while covid seems to be a minimum of like 14 days

Anywho, what I'm mostly getting at is that I don't want to get covid even if I live.
The general sentiment that I get is that covid only sucks if you die. I am just expressing that I have a different take.

Sure. And I'd qualify that my comments are mostly within the context of 'what would we uproot society for?'

Sure. And I'd qualify that my comments are mostly within the context of 'what would we uproot society for?'
That's fair.
Fwiw I have always been more on the open things up spectrum than the shut things down spectrum

That's fair.
Fwiw I have always been more on the open things up spectrum than the shut things down spectrum

Yeah, I just think we're not really anchored as a society, or even within ourselves, as to what we're wanting and what goalposts for improvement are. I'd say that this is a bait and switch, but that would imply that this is more sinister than it really is, but I do think it conveys the point, at least superficially. The reasons we responded the way we did are very, very different than the reasons we're now giving for staying the way we are. We got into this for "15 days to flatten the curve" because we didn't want the excess deaths of overwhelming the healthcare system. When the deaths starting taking a huge dive, we pivoted to "OMG look at this guy who was hospitalized for a long time" or "OMG this guy still can't smell." I've made the analogy to the Conley trade previously. We had certain expectations of Conley that clearly haven't played out at all. But we rationalize "hey, look, he's averaging 16 ppg over ____," when in reality, had we been told at this time last year that we'd be sitting there celebrating him scoring "16 ppg over the last ____," everyone would have said hell no to the trade. But when we're facing the reality of us having traded for him, we're trying to save face by rationalizing his play. But that doesn't mean that Conley sucks, that he's worthless, or that there can't be good, just as COVID isn't a hoax, has killed many people, and is not something we should take callously.

I don't want to be in an automobile accident, either. And simply looking at 40k automobile fatalities each year doesn't tell the whole story, because 4.4 million people per year are involved in a motor vehicle accident that requires medical attention. But, you know, we drive.

Yeah, I just think we're not really anchored as a society, or even within ourselves, as to what we're wanting and what goalposts for improvement are. I'd say that this is a bait and switch, but that would imply that this is more sinister than it really is, but I do think it conveys the point, at least superficially. The reasons we responded the way we did are very, very different than the reasons we're now giving for staying the way we are. We got into this for "15 days to flatten the curve" because we didn't want the excess deaths of overwhelming the healthcare system. When the deaths starting taking a huge dive, we pivoted to "OMG look at this guy who was hospitalized for a long time" or "OMG this guy still can't smell." I've made the analogy to the Conley trade previously. We had certain expectations of Conley that clearly haven't played out at all. But we rationalize "hey, look, he's averaging 16 ppg over ____," when in reality, had we been told at this time last year that we'd be sitting there celebrating him scoring "16 ppg over the last ____," everyone would have said hell no to the trade. But when we're facing the reality of us having traded for him, we're trying to save face by rationalizing his play. But that doesn't mean that Conley sucks, that he's worthless, or that there can't be good, just as COVID isn't a hoax, has killed many people, and is not something we should take callously.

I don't want to be in an automobile accident, either. And simply looking at 40k automobile fatalities each year doesn't tell the whole story, because 4.4 million people per year are involved in a motor vehicle accident that requires medical attention. But, you know, we drive.

****ing Newsome is shutting us CA down again until there is a vaccine or acceptable treatments/therapies. So CA is shutting down the roads... no one can die that way... we will all be broke and destitute but hell we will be breathing.

This was the same ******* that said we'd have 25M cases in CA. We are basically like 1% of that so isn't that a victory? Talk about moving the ****ing goal posts.