What's new

Coronavirus

So I've been maintaining a spreadsheet with both our national and Utah numbers. Here are a few snapshots...

October
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.24.03 AM.png

November
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.23.34 AM.png

Monthly so far
Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.28.00 AM.png

One thing I found interesting about yesterday's 11/4 numbers in Utah was that the "rest of the state" new case count exceeded the new case count from SL county. I don't think that's ever happened before. I reflect back on all those morons in St. George and other rural areas resisting mask mandates with claims that, "This virus isn't here!" Cool. But it will be. Wear the mask to prevent its transmission. Clearly, that didn't happen and all those packed rodeos, football stadiums, parties, restaurants, church meetings, etc are having a toll. I really don't understand why gyms are still open, indoor dining is still a thing, high school football is still going on with spectators, and why the LDS church hasn't acted more proactively (like they did in the spring) to help stop this thing from spreading... But whatever, I'm just a science believing lib in a sea of red stupidity (herd mentality) in Utah.

Data:

Last edited:
The gym is emptier today than I have ever seen.

Literally myself and 2 other people. IMG_20201105_104817.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

2,807 cases today. Just when you think there's a ceiling, we blow through it.

Taking my daughter to get tested this afternoon. If she's positive, will assume I have it as well I guess.

Don't be surprised if the governor throws a curveball and decides to close all Utah schools for two weeks for distant education.

In watching this, none of this is going to matter. Most counties have a mask mandate and they will delay school sports, but not football games. Social gatherings will be ignored.

Don’t expect any of this to move the needle. We will just continue to beat ourselves up.

This certainly sounds encouraging....

Much better than the efficacy rates they were talking about of maybe 60% - 70%. We'll get more people to take the vaccine if we can prove the higher rates.

This is a comment on KSL for the story about this vaccine... Some people and math.

ShaveTheChildren · 7 hours ago
90% effective sounds really promising.But consider this. In nearly a year, only 4% of the population has tested positive. Many of those were asymptomatic, so even fewer actually got sick.That means social distancing and masking up is 96% effective

Much better than the efficacy rates they were talking about of maybe 60% - 70%. We'll get more people to take the vaccine if we can prove the higher rates.

I’ll be down, but we’ll have to deal with this, from out of the conspiratorial stew...

Claire Wardle, co-founder of the disinfo-busting nonprofit First Draft, said vaccine opposition has bled over into other conspiratorial movements during the COVID-19 pandemic. In a forthcoming report on the state of the anti-vaccination movement, she and other researchers found anti-lockdown Facebook pages to be a hotbed for vaccine resistance.

“It’s the same arguments being used about masks, it’s the same arguments being used about excessive quarantine that fits into that broader movement,” Wardle told The Daily Beast.

She noted that, in the past, anti-vaxxers tended to focus on debunked claims that vaccines cause autism. “This time last year, if you and I were having this conversation, there wouldn’t be such a natural home for these narratives to live,” Wardle said.

Now, she explained, anti-vaxxers are talking less about science and more about their “freedom” to refuse immunization. Blame a year full of lockdown opponents who claimed coronavirus protections, like masks and social distancing, were the pinnacle of government tyranny.

Wardle pointed to a convergence of conspiratorial tendencies around anti-lockdown Facebook pages, where members can now find anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, QAnoners, and anti-government militia members in one easy location. “The excessive quarantine Facebook groups have really become this umbrella space,” she said. (Facebook did not immediately return a request for comment.)