What's new

Coronavirus

That is tough though when kids don't really die from Covid and some places are making it mandatory. I would not be putting my kids at the front of the line with this type of logic. California is going to make me choose now between homeschool which will stunt my kids social and educational growth and giving my kids a shot that "we don't know all the effects of". We vaccinate our kids for other stuff obvi but this one is new and less proven. My whole family got Covid a year ago... none of the kids had symptoms much more severe than a light cold and a headache.

I'm cool doing it in a year or so... but giving this the thumbs up with amazing votes of confidence listed above doesn't get me excited to have my kids be the guinea pigs.
Kids spread covid19, occasionally to adults.

The guinea pigs were the kids in the clinical trials. We can't say we know with certainty all the side of effects of aspirin, that's not how science works. That doesn't make the aspirin unsafe, nor are these shots unsafe for kids.

I can appreciate your admitting to not being enough of a citizen/patriot to vaccinate your kids. Most people try to hide their selfishness; not you. Bravo.

My 9-year-old son has Covid. Poor kid.

I'm pretty sure I had it 2 weeks ago. I legit had a migraine on the left side for 4 days straight. It made my sinus cavities ache and even my teeth.

I felt super lethargic and slept maybe 4 hours in so many days.

It took a minute to schedule a test at my local Walgreens. When I tested, it was kinda weird, I had to do it myself in my truck in the pharmacy line. It took forever to get to the window cause I imagine others were doing the same thing.

I was feeling pretty damn good for the first time in 4 or 5 days when I tested. My results came back negative but I'm convinced I had it. I've never felt like that before.

My dad got it and he said his biggest symptom was a headache. My kid has a constant headache too - poor guy.

I'm vaccinated and support being vaccinated and, well, shockingly enough people's rights if they choose not to. Covid killed my mom too. ‍♂️

The guinea pigs were the kids in the clinical trials. We can't say we know with certainty all the side of effects of aspirin, that's not how science works. That doesn't make the aspirin unsafe, nor are these shots unsafe for kids.

I can appreciate your admitting to not being enough of a citizen/patriot to vaccinate your kids. Most people try to hide their selfishness; not you. Bravo.
Yes and if those adults are vaccinated they don't die... according to the stats right?

The first small set of guinea pigs were the kids in the trials... there will be a whole lot more as it moves to the next phase. I am not unwilling to get the vaccine for my kids... I would like some time (6 months) for a bigger sample size. But yeah lets compare a new tech, new vax, to something that has been around forever.

Let's talk about citizenship too... what have those in the most at risk demographics done for kids? I live in a city with a dominant sun city community... those old assholes have delayed multiple school bonds from passing for 10+ years because they don't feel they should have to pay anything for those community improvements. But yeah I should rush my kids to the front of the line with a potential health risk (it might be miniscule... just want to see a bigger sample... that okay or nah?).

My 9-year-old son has Covid. Poor kid.

I'm pretty sure I had it 2 weeks ago. I legit had a migraine on the left side for 4 days straight. It made my sinus cavities ache and even my teeth.

I felt super lethargic and slept maybe 4 hours in so many days.

It took a minute to schedule a test at my local Walgreens. When I tested, it was kinda weird, I had to do it myself in my truck in the pharmacy line. It took forever to get to the window cause I imagine others were doing the same thing.

I was feeling pretty damn good for the first time in 4 or 5 days when I tested. My results came back negative but I'm convinced I had it. I've never felt like that before.

My dad got it and he said his biggest symptom was a headache. My kid has a constant headache too - poor guy.

I'm vaccinated and support being vaccinated and, well, shockingly enough people's rights if they choose not to. Covid killed my mom too. ‍♂️
The headache was the consistent symptom in our house. Luckily for us it actually went away with Ibuprofen (not being sarcastic... I've had migraines that Ibuprofen doesn't seem to work on). I am sure you had it. The loss of taste and smell didn't come for a while.

I also got vaccinated. I am just a little worried about how my kids bodies will react. Its a reasonable fear. If the sample was 100k kids I'd feel pretty solid. I'm even fine with a mandate after a significant sample.

Sorry about your mom... really sucks.

I feel this is uncalled for and an unnecessary low blow.

As for my daughter and the vaccine, I told my wife she can decide. I fine with my daughter getting vaccinated and also fine if she doesn't get vaccinated.

It is interesting the way you phrased that. When someone is doing something selfish, they are acting in their own best interest, and in this case the best interest of a child. The way you put that suggests you understand completely, and are condemning an act that puts the welfare of a child first.

Back in the Iran-Iraq war, the Iranians used to make regimens of young boys. These 12-year-olds wouldn't be of much help fighting against adult soldiers but running them through minefields to get blown up was an effective way to save Iranian tanks. I imagine the Iranian military leaders made an argument almost identical to the one you just made.

As for my daughter and the vaccine, I told my wife she can decide. I fine with my daughter getting vaccinated and also fine if she doesn't get vaccinated.
My biggest thing is I need to push my wife to do it unless I want my kids out of public/private school. I am going to read all the research I can find to help me feel like I can push carefully but am not a doctor. I have people I can talk with but no one cares about your kids like you do. For me I felt fine about it... for them I will need to do additional work.

Before everyone says we should just trust science... I do... but my wife had a procedure utilizing a "new but safe" approved device/method. It led to months of pain and eventually she had to have surgery. Medical science isn't perfect. I'd like to have a bigger view of the direct risks for my kids here. The risks are likely small but they need to be similar to the risks of actually contracting the virus... because those risks are small and I have seen my kids survive them without any real effect.

I feel this is uncalled for and an unnecessary low blow.
Also, we have some smart people here... I am more hoping for a discussion that can help me feel better about this. But yeah some folks prefer to name call.

California is going to make me choose now between homeschool which will stunt my kids social and educational growth and giving my kids a shot that "we don't know all the effects of".
Unless you live in someplace "served" by LA Unified School District, you should be fine. The state mandate and the mandates in all other Cali districts I know of are only in effect once the vaccine achieves regular authorization for that age. Emergency Use Authorization doesn't count. Unless your kid is 16 or older, it'll be a year at least.

Unless you live in someplace "served" by LA Unified School District, you should be fine. The state mandate and the mandates in all other Cali districts I know of are only in effect once the vaccine achieves regular authorization for that age. Emergency Use Authorization doesn't count. Unless your kid is 16 or older, it'll be a year at least.
Thank you for some useful information. I am in NorCal. That is a more reasonable timeframe imo.

Yes and if those adults are vaccinated they don't die... according to the stats right?
Very rarely. I suppose the somewhat less rare hospital visit doesn't matter at all to you.

The first small set of guinea pigs were the kids in the trials... there will be a whole lot more as it moves to the next phase. I am not unwilling to get the vaccine for my kids... I would like some time (6 months) for a bigger sample size. But yeah lets compare a new tech, new vax, to something that has been around forever.
There were over 2,200 kids who received the vaccine in the clinical trials.

It's not a new technology, and vaccination generally has been around longer than either of us have been alive.

Let's talk about citizenship too... what have those in the most at risk demographics done for kids? I live in a city with a dominant sun city community... those old assholes have delayed multiple school bonds from passing for 10+ years because they don't feel they should have to pay anything for those community improvements. But yeah I should rush my kids to the front of the line with a potential health risk (it might be miniscule... just want to see a bigger sample... that okay or nah?).
I'll be the first to acknowledge my post was deliberately inflammatory, so I'm sure after you've calmed down a bit, you'll see how silly it is to ask what senior citizens did for this country (since for the most part, they set it up for you to live in).

It is interesting the way you phrased that. When someone is doing something selfish, they are acting in their own best interest, and in this case the best interest of a child. The way you put that suggests you understand completely, and are condemning an act that puts the welfare of a child first.
Except, it's not putting the welfare of the child first, it's putting the fears of the parent for the child first. Children are better off getting vaccinated than getting covid19.

Very rarely. I suppose the somewhat less rare hospital visit doesn't matter at all to you.

There were over 2,200 kids who received the vaccine in the clinical trials.

It's not a new technology, and vaccination generally has been around longer than either of us have been alive.

I'll be the first to acknowledge my post was deliberately inflammatory, so I'm sure after you've calmed down a bit, you'll see how silly it is to ask what senior citizens did for this country (since for the most part, they set it up for you to live in).
I just want time and more proven use of THIS PARTICULAR VACCINE before giving it to my kids. I apologize if my asymptomatic kid gives someone covid and may have a small chance of forcing them to make a hospital visit.

If this vaccine has been around for 35+ years then why is it only emergency use currently. Why even test it.

I understand senior citizens have contributed and given us this country but there are plenty of Donald's in that group too who are completely selfish. The seniors in our community may be outliers but they legit prevented schools from being built and delayed projects because they would not directly benefit from them. They preferred to save some money on taxes. It likely is silly for me to ask that... but given my current experience the seniors in the community don't care all that much about the youth in the community.

I'm gathering info... will make the best decision for the kids and the community. Not "doing my own research" but will talk with doctors and others I know personally.

The best person to have this discussion with is your pediatrician, or your local public health official. No one on this forum comes close.
There are some doctors and others on this board that have good info... there are also trolls. I will talk with people that are experts that I know and trust.

That's true of pretty much any medical procedure. No matter how many trials you do, you can't know all the effects until it starts being performed more broadly.

Feel free to talk stupid lol.

Nah you've just done it for me thnx. If you really think this is the same as "any medical procedure" that has much broader criteria and numbers and timeframe to study any long term effects then yeah you really are even more stupid that how smug you are. And for a disease that barely causes healthy 5-11 year olds symptoms more than a cold the ethical questions in dispersing such a treatment given the benefit is worth more than a sneering smart arse comment.

You're quite the condescending smug ****.