What's new

Coronavirus

Okay. So? It is in 24 countries now. It has been around since November 9th and do you know how many people total in the world have died from an Omicron infection?

Zero. There have been no deaths reported anywhere in the world that were linked to the omicron variant.
What's your point?

hot tip This variant is the beginning of the end of the pandemic. A lot of data so far suggests a big step into being less virulent
So does that mean this version might be more contagious but less severe? I’m guessing that would be ideal. That way you get immunity without overwhelming hospitals or dying. Even mild cases can suck. I for one am still recovering from Covid and it’s been one year. My taste and smell still aren’t the same. And certain foods/drinks still taste disgusting. Coke and sprite taste like metal to me. A few months ago I left a burner on because I couldn’t smell the gas. It sucks. So if this turns into a super contagious cold or flu, then whatever, that’s fine with me.

What's your point?
The point is that it doesn't matter if it is in the US or not because either way the same number of Americans are dying from it. Even in 23% vaxxed South Africa no one is dying from it. Omicron is a media manufactured hysteria.

The point is that it doesn't matter if it is in the US or not because either way the same number of Americans are dying from it. Even in 23% vaxxed South Africa no one is dying from it. Omicron is a media manufactured hysteria.
Uh, ok. You have a real axe to grind here. I was just pointing out the first case of omicron in the US is in California. You tilt at that windmill bro.

The media likes bad news cuz it sells. It’s why they’re dwelling on milk and gas being a few quarters more than last year. Never mind that no one we traveling and the economy wasn’t growing last year. It’s not rocket science to know that profits drive corporate media. Corporations like Fox News knows this, that’s why they’re always selling hate and fear.

The main issue is that doctors are concerned that this variant has mutations that might make it harder for current vaccines to hit.

Uh, ok. You have a real axe to grind here. I was just pointing out the first case of omicron in the US is in California. You tilt at that windmill bro.
In a world where we've had our lives significantly altered for about two solid years now because of a virus, a new variant has been identified and... wait for it... the news has reported about it.

The same news sources have also ran stories about it being exceptionally mild. Not in the same articles. They have their shock and horror stories and they have their more in depth stories. Same as it ever was.

Funny to me that for a minute I thought AI-O-Meter was interested in discussing things. How clearly he has shown his true colors in the last several weeks. I'm done responding to him directly as he has dodged any of my harder rebuttals and posts more and more dog ****. Now I use the thumbs down as my "eye roll indicator." If his post elicits an eye roll I give it the old thumbs down.

In a world where we've had our lives significantly altered for about two solid years now because of a virus, a new variant has been identified and... wait for it... the news has reported about it.

The same news sources have also ran stories about it being exceptionally mild. Not in the same articles. They have their shock and horror stories and they have their more in depth stories. Same as it ever was.

Funny to me that for a minute I thought AI-O-Meter was interested in discussing things. How clearly he has shown his true colors in the last several weeks. I'm done responding to him directly as he has dodged any of my harder rebuttals and posts more and more dog ****. Now I use the thumbs down as my "eye roll indicator." If his post elicits an eye roll I give it the old thumbs down.
Europe and countries in Asia are already in full hysteria mode. An Estonian politician stated that is much more probable to get COVID in Africa, than in Estonia. Which i find funny - for example in Kenya, South Africa or Tanzania you can spend most of your days to enjoy great and healthy outdoor climate while in Estonia the climate is as it is.

Last year everybody in our government stated that "stay home, do not celebrate christmas or new year eve" while at the same time stated "virus mostly infects people at home" :). I and my wife with couple of friends obviously celebrated christmas, new year eve and Independence day (together with the Red Army day :) - Red Army day is 23.02 and our independence day is 24.02 and my friend was forced to serve 2 years in Soviet Union army).

The only major thing i missed now for two years is air travel due to the same hysteria phenomen (you never know whether due some kneejerk reaction a flight will operate or not and whether you are welcome or not on that country). 2020 we were only in Estonia, but already this year we had one road trip in summer to Croatia and in late october a road trip to Poland. Wearing mask indoors is a big deal and at the same time not a big deal :). I have not seen any movies at theatres, because, well most of the time they show only cheap CGI, Disney or Marvel crap (i guess i am getting old).

"Thanks to COVID" i have discovered backpacking and sleeping outside in tent not matter what is the weather. Without COVID i would probably had spent that amount of money (good tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag etc) to plane tickets.

And as i have stated before - currently the only winners are China, Russia, Belarus, Turkey and other similar countries. Because all the leaders in those countries can laugh, point fingers and state "all the other western governments can and are behaving like us, when it suits them".
If we lose our humanity i.e by stating "no vaccine - well you suck even if you have perfect health according to your age", then we are already lost :-(. IMHO the reason to have a police is to prevent crime but not check whether somebody is vaccinated or not or wears a mask or not.
I find it kind of amusing and sad, that at ski resorts currently for police the missing mask is more dangerous, than if some off-piste fan does not have a proper avalanche protection (RECCO beacon, shovel, search rods etc) or does that skier at all has skills to properly enjoy off-piste areas.

The media likes bad news cuz it sells. It’s why they’re dwelling on milk and gas being a few quarters more than last year. Never mind that no one we traveling and the economy wasn’t growing last year. It’s not rocket science to know that profits drive corporate media. Corporations like Fox News knows this, that’s why they’re always selling hate and fear.

The main issue is that doctors are concerned that this variant has mutations that might make it harder for current vaccines to hit.
You had it right with the first take: Profits drive corporate media. Your second statement is BS. The only mutations that "might" make it harder for the current vaccines to hit is that it isn't as scary so fewer people could feel compelled to take the vaccine. It is technically true that we don't know how well this vaccine stops the virus but only because you can't divide by zero.

Not only does Omicron not seem to be the monster the news media is making it out to be but there is a possibility that it may be nature's vaccine. If an unvaccinated person gets Omicron, and nothing happens to them, it is entirely possible the antibodies from that infection will protect against the nastier variants like Delta. That would give an entirely new meaning to "Nature is undefeated" if you believe this virus leaked from a lab and a natural variant snuffs it out.

Here’s the key question, is this variant immune to proven Covid treatments such as hydroxy, horse dewormer, and flashlights up my ***? Cuz if not, then I won’t be worried.

This article examines three theories of the origin of Omicron, settling on incubation in an immunocompromised individual as the most likely origin:

So the mutation derived from one single (most likely) unvaccinated person who had a specific set of pre existing conditions?

Good lord that's an unsettling thought.

Im not seeing the hysteria.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

This article examines three theories of the origin of Omicron, settling on incubation in an immunocompromised individual as the most likely origin:

And maybe this is “media generated hysteria”? Dunno…

Well a lot of this appears to be CDC created hysteria. I mean since when can we trust anything put out by the CDC? Freakin' commies!

Anyway, here is the updated variant page from the CDC with info on Omicron.

• On November 30, 2021, the U.S. government SARS-CoV-2 Interagency Group (SIG) classified Omicron as a Variant of Concern (VOC). This classification was based on the following:
    • Detection of cases attributed to Omicron in multiple countries, including among those without travel history.
    • Transmission and replacement of the Delta variant in South Africa.
    • The number and locations of substitutions in the spike protein.
    • Available data for other variants with fewer substitutions in the spike protein that indicate a reduction in neutralization by sera from vaccinated or convalescent individuals.
    • Available data for other variants with fewer substitutions in the spike protein that indicate reduced susceptibility to certain monoclonal antibody treatments.

So Omicron is a VOC (Variant of Concern), among a dozen or so variants being monitored, all but 2 of which (Delta and Omicron) are VBM (Variant Being Monitored), while Delta and Omicron are VOCs.

Reactions: Red
Well a lot of this appears to be CDC created hysteria. I mean since when can we trust anything put out by the CDC? Freakin' commies!
On that question, I can give you the exact date as for when you could no longer trust the CDC on the strength of their word alone: February 3, 2021.

That was the day CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky gave an official press briefing from the CDC in front of a background that said CDC all over it and said "Vaccinations of teachers is not a prerequisite for safely reopening schools". A few hours later not-a-doctor Jen Psaki said Dr. Rochelle Walensky was speaking in her personal capacity and not on behalf of the CDC. The administration made CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky immediately do another press conference to disavow her earlier statements to make the opposite the official CDC line. On February 3, 2021 it was clearly shown that politics and the interests of political donors outweighed scientists and data in forming CDC policy.

On that subject, there was an interesting exchange with an African reporter and Dr. Anthony Fauci. The reporter asked why Dr. Fauci had personally authorized a travel ban against Mozambique due to Omicron when there wasn't a single known case of Omicron anywhere in Mozambique. Dr. Fauci said that was a very good question and then he went on to the next question without even attempting any sort of justification.

Last edited:
Last night on the evening news it was the lead story on every station with at least 15 minutes devoted to it.
There is also a state-wide manhunt for some individuals who escaped from a quarantine camp in Australia. None of them ever tested positive for COVID but their escaping the prison camp was caused a reaction in Australian law enforcement that looked straight out of a movie.

Just this morning Germany has announced that all of its citizens are under house arrest until they can prove vaccination status.

In Canada you now need government papers to cross state lines and to board any airplane or train.

The pandemic is clearly winding down. We have good vaccines. We have good medical treatments such as Regeneron. The "new" variant seems to be tame compared to what we just faced, and yet governments around the world are getting more stringent in their restrictions.

Im not seeing the hysteria.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
No Fish, it's hysteria. Stop being a sheeple. Everyone is afraid of some covid flu thingie. It's just the flu. People have been panicking about this crap for 2 years now. Most of the people who died were just fat and old. Stop being a sheeple. Stick a flashlight up your ***. Don't let it dominate you.

Last edited:
On February 3, 2021 it was clearly shown that politics and the interests of political donors outweighed scientists and data in forming CDC policy.
I interpret those events in just the opposite fashion; the science being put foremost instead of the politically expedient.

On that subject, there was an interesting exchange with an African reporter and Dr. Anthony Fauci. The reporter asked why Dr. Fauci had personally authorized a travel ban against Mozambique due to Omicron when there wasn't a single known case of Omicron anywhere in Mozambique. Dr. Fauci said that was a very good question and then he went on to the next question without even attempting any sort of justification.
Your source has lied to you again.

“You know that’s a very good question and important question, and we did struggle with that,” Fauci answered. “But we wanted to see if we could buy time temporarily, so I do hope that this gets sorted out and lifted before it has any significant impact on your country.”

You might consider such justification inadequate, but it is clearly there.

I'm honestly not too worried about this new variant simply because I don't know anything about it. We don't know for sure that it's more contagious, more deadly or any of those things. Early indications are that it isn't but as data matures, we'll know more.

Markets are fueled by speculation and easily scared by it - see the huge peaks and valleys from the Dow and other global markets lately. A good time to buy low IMO.

What's been hilarious to me is the notion that D's are behind the new variant because some people apparently think not solving Covid is somehow a winning strategy to future elections when common sense tells you that if we're talking about Covid in mid-terms and 2024, D's are going to get sliced up.