What's new

Coronavirus

Markets are fueled by speculation and easily scared by it
The markets are scared by the government reaction to the virus, not the virus itself. The virus doesn't order governments to lock their people down or halt trade. Governments do that on their own and use the virus to explain it. As for the markets being spooked at governments completely overreacting to this new variant, why wouldn't they? They see the news just like we all do. They know about enacted travel bans and closed borders due to this new variant that has yet to kill a single person.

You need just to show your QR code on the phone. No papers needed.
You gotta love all of this Holocaust comparison to simple and rational protective measures.

The other night to watch a musical I had to show my vaccine card or a picture of it from my phone. It took like 5 seconds and made perfect sense in order to watch a musical with hundreds of people. I'm sure there are probably apps we could've used too.

The way the right has weaponized these logical measures and making it sound like this is 1930s Germany is just astounding to me.

Republicans: Private companies and da gubbamint want to see your papers or you'll be treated like a Jew in Nazi Germany. This is the Holocaust! Dr Fauci is Mengele! No more Fauci ouchie or masks for me!

Also Republicans: Biden isn't doing enough to end this pandemic. This pandemic should've ended a long time ago.

On that question, I can give you the exact date as for when you could no longer trust the CDC on the strength of their word alone: February 3, 2021.

That was the day CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky gave an official press briefing from the CDC in front of a background that said CDC all over it and said "Vaccinations of teachers is not a prerequisite for safely reopening schools". A few hours later not-a-doctor Jen Psaki said Dr. Rochelle Walensky was speaking in her personal capacity and not on behalf of the CDC. The administration made CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky immediately do another press conference to disavow her earlier statements to make the opposite the official CDC line. On February 3, 2021 it was clearly shown that politics and the interests of political donors outweighed scientists and data in forming CDC policy.

On that subject, there was an interesting exchange with an African reporter and Dr. Anthony Fauci. The reporter asked why Dr. Fauci had personally authorized a travel ban against Mozambique due to Omicron when there wasn't a single known case of Omicron anywhere in Mozambique. Dr. Fauci said that was a very good question and then he went on to the next question without even attempting any sort of justification.

Last night on the evening news it was the lead story on every station with at least 15 minutes devoted to it.
Thats on you for watching the news. I said IM not seeing the hysteria. Im not into news much though and NEVER watch it on the TV and rarely ever click on any new related things online. So like I said, Im not seeing the hysteria. Also it sounds like there was 15 minutes devoted to to something. I saw 15 minutes of coverage for college football recently. Not sure that makes it hysteria or not though. Could simply be coverage of a topic that people want more info about. IDK.

I'm honestly not too worried about this new variant simply because I don't know anything about it. We don't know for sure that it's more contagious, more deadly or any of those things. Early indications are that it isn't but as data matures, we'll know more.

Markets are fueled by speculation and easily scared by it - see the huge peaks and valleys from the Dow and other global markets lately. A good time to buy low IMO.

What's been hilarious to me is the notion that D's are behind the new variant because some people apparently think not solving Covid is somehow a winning strategy to future elections when common sense tells you that if we're talking about Covid in mid-terms and 2024, D's are going to get sliced up.
Well you see the dems created the covid hoax to hurt trumps re election chances and once the election was over it was just going to magically disappear. Now they are creating this new variant and more covid HYSTERIA to help biden and the democrats win elections apparently. Its like, super convenient.

Thats on you for watching the news. I said IM not seeing the hysteria. Im not into news much though and NEVER watch it on the TV and rarely ever click on any new related things online. So like I said, Im not seeing the hysteria. Also it sounds like there was 15 minutes devoted to to something. I saw 15 minutes of coverage for college football recently. Not sure that makes it hysteria or not though. Could simply be coverage of a topic that people want more info about. IDK.
I misread your post. I thought you were saying that you weren't aware of any hysteria regarding what is being reported.

One thing that has always made me laugh: The people who use terms like "sheeple", "Fake news", and "mainstream media" are the ones who consume more news media than anyone else by far. If im ever in a discussion on facebook with someone and they bring up one of those terms its a guarantee that if I go to their own facebook page it will be full of political agenda leaning news topics. Tons of anti biden, left, democrat propaganda. Lots of tucker carlson. Lots of pro trump, anti mask stuff. Its a guarantee.

I misread your post. I thought you were saying that you weren't aware of any hysteria regarding what is being reported.
This is correct. Cant be aware of it without watching or reading about it. Its nice. Everyone should try it. I highly recommend reading and watching less news media. Also, as I stated, I dont necessarily correlate 15 minutes of coverage of a topic to equal hysteria.

VaIK5a1.jpg

The antivaxxer movement has been using this rhetoric for decades.
Right. But only 1 of our 2 political parties has opened the doors to these nutjobs. Now it’s part of their identity; 1. Must believe trump won in 2020 2. Must doubt vaccine science. We’ve now seen 2 years of Covid disinformation and anti vax rhetoric nonsense by right wing media outlets and politicians.

Right. But only 1 of our 2 political parties has opened the doors to these nutjobs. Now it’s part of their identity
I know you want to believe that as it is the narrative and most anti-vax people getting media time are in the pro-Trump crowd, but before COVID hit in my part of the country, anti-vax was more of a left-leaning sentiment. The most anti-vax areas of California were deep blue granola eating areas. The most prominent face for the anti-vax movement was Jenny McCarthy who is very much not a Republican. She even quit the View when they asked her to pretend to be a Republican for ratings. Neither side of the political divide is free from nutjobs, and neither side should be characterized by their most extreme supporters.

Interesting perspective regarding the hysteria about the new variant (omicron) that the media is creating. I have spoken with 3 people this week (my wife and 2 co workers including one when I got to work today) about the new variant. I mostly just listened and didn't talk much as I usually do regarding something that could be seen as political or triggering to people. All 3 seemed to think that this new variant is not a big deal and 2 of them even thought that the new variant might be a good thing in the long run. (I think Al o meter said something similar). None of them were scared or worried. Maybe they just arent watching the right news sources or something but it doesn't seem like there is any hysteria or even mild fear going on in my interactions with people about the new variant. Since the media is only trying to scare everyone and create hysteria I wonder where they are getting their info to make them so unafraid.

I know you want to believe that as it is the narrative and most anti-vax people getting media time are in the pro-Trump crowd, but before COVID hit in my part of the country, anti-vax was more of a left-leaning sentiment. The most anti-vax areas of California were deep blue granola eating areas. The most prominent face for the anti-vax movement was Jenny McCarthy who is very much not a Republican. She even quit the View when they asked her to pretend to be a Republican for ratings. Neither side of the political divide is free from nutjobs, and neither side should be characterized by their most extreme supporters.
Yeah, the anti-vax movement used to be based on fear from middle-class, mostly liberal, suburban parents of children with autism, who swore there was nothing wrong with their genes and so it had to be because of something else, and they latched onto Wakefield's "study" to keep the myth of their superior breeding alive.

The difference is, of course, that the D's never tried to make those fears into policy. The R's have completely invited those folks in and embraced them, and so we have things like governors banning even private businesses from requiring masks.

This is correct. Cant be aware of it without watching or reading about it. Its nice. Everyone should try it. I highly recommend reading and watching less news media. Also, as I stated, I dont necessarily correlate 15 minutes of coverage of a topic to equal hysteria.
When it is a 30 minute TV broadcast 15 minutes on one subject is a ton of time but you wouldn't know that. You don't watch the evening news. ;)

You gotta love all of this Holocaust comparison to simple and rational protective measures.

The other night to watch a musical I had to show my vaccine card or a picture of it from my phone. It took like 5 seconds and made perfect sense in order to watch a musical with hundreds of people. I'm sure there are probably apps we could've used too.

The way the right has weaponized these logical measures and making it sound like this is 1930s Germany is just astounding to me.
Some of idiots here compared it to Soviet genocide in Ukraine during Holodomor. These ****ers have it way too good and are spoiled brats to even mention current health measures and Holocaust or Soviet atrocities in one sentence. Privileged dumbasses.