What's new

Coronavirus

The woman I know who lost her husband to COVID, before a vaccine was available, also had COVID at that time. She has MS, so you might have worried more about her than her husband (I was since she's the person I've known since I was 2) but she did alright. She got the vaccine and then some time later got COVID, just a few weeks ago. She had a mild case for a second time.

The vaccine is the best possible option. No foam in mouth.
You know what could’ve helped you not foam from the mouth? A rabies vaccine. Vaccines are really cool things that have arguably been the most significant development for humanity over the last 100 years. Cmon dude, stop foaming at the mouth and get vaccinated!

The woman I know who lost her husband to COVID, before a vaccine was available, also had COVID at that time. She has MS, so you might have worried more about her than her husband (I was since she's the person I've known since I was 2) but she did alright. She got the vaccine and then some time later got COVID, just a few weeks ago. She had a mild case for a second time.

The vaccine is the best possible option. No foam in mouth.

I’m real glad your friend pulled through and very sort to hear about her husband. Vaccination was totally the right decision for her

so .. please explain to me what figures you are using to suggest that you have reduced your risk of reinfection by half ??? In the plainest simple numbers you can.
I had seen it on the CDC website earlier that day, but can't find the page now.

for example if you have a disease you have a 2 in 1000 chance of contracting and you take a medication that may in a sample see a 1 in 1000 chance of contraction .. i'm guessing you see that as a doubling / halving of the odds yes ?? Do you really think that a 0.001 % chance in statistically significant to a 0.002 % chance ??
1 in 1000 is a 0.1% chance.

What are the numbers?

Through February 13, 2022, there have been 194,350 cases of reinfection, which represents about 4.0% of all COVID infections reported to date in the State.

163,811 of these reinfections have occurred since the week of Dec 13, 2021, the week that variants sequenced in New York State increased to 20% Omicron. This corresponds to 84.3% of reinfections reported in the State to date.
While I don't know how this translates to a wider region, that's ust over 4% of people who got infected getting reinfected, and omicron is making those numbers go up.

A reduction from 4% to even 3% seems worthwhile.

I also think you're now being a bit loose with the term "immunized" given the success rate of such vaccine. It really is more like a therapeutic agent at this stage.
We've been using the same term for the flu vaccine for years.

What makes the difference between a therapeutic and a vaccine? It's my understanding that while the vaccines were less effective against omicron infection, they were still pretty good at preventing infection. Above 50 percent effective:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 9.16.58 AM.png
And still far better than any therapeutic/alt treatment against hospitalization:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 9.12.41 AM.png

So at what rate does the vaccine become a therapeutic rather than an immunization? Once it drops below 50 percent effectiveness at preventing an infection? Or does it depend on how ineffective the alt therapeutic treatments are?

What makes the difference between a therapeutic and a vaccine?
One is given before an infection and the other is given after an infection. A therapeutic is something you give someone to help them recover from an infection after they've become infected while a vaccine is preventative and given before an infection. It has nothing to do with effectiveness rates.

I had seen it on the CDC website earlier that day, but can't find the page now.

1 in 1000 is a 0.1% chance.

While I don't know how this translates to a wider region, that's ust over 4% of people who got infected getting reinfected, and omicron is making those numbers go up.

A reduction from 4% to even 3% seems worthwhile.

We've been using the same term for the flu vaccine for years.

and what percentage of that difference between 3 and 4 % were in which age groups, vulnerability category, in the presence of how many comorbidities etc etc ? You're reaching in a ridiculous way in terms of expecting that to be the "proper" thing to expect everyone to have a booster post infection. Again if you're over around 40 but more specifically diabetic, overweight, old and frail ya for sure get another jab. Young and healthy ?? Pretty pointless other than increasing your risk of an adverse reaction.

I worded that wrong meant to say they said they don’t help, but then said they do help.
Moved to a more on-topic thread.

The CDC has been pretty consistent about masks helping to varying degrees since April/May 2020. As new evidence has come in and supply chains have adjusted, they have upgraded or downgraded the desirability of certain types of masks. That's what they should be doing.

and what percentage of that difference between 3 and 4 % were in which age groups, vulnerability category, in the presence of how many comorbidities etc etc ?
I certainly don't have an answer to those questions. Do you?

You know who has a keen interest in these questions about the dangers of reinfection when applied to professional athletes, and in forming a reasonable policy based on the best medical and PR decisions? Sports leagues. So far, you've given very general objections in a numbers-light commentary, and I've responded with very general notions in a numbers-light commentary. However, if you really expect me to research the specifics of this, why don't you start?

Young and healthy ?? Pretty pointless other than increasing your risk of an adverse reaction.
What are the numbers supporting this claim? What's their source? In particular, show that the risk from an adverse reaction is greater than the risk from re-infection.

@Ron Mexico yikes. Stay safe

It's definitely picking up here now. The numbers are still fairly low, a jump like that looks big on a graph but we're still talking about cities like Shanghai having 500 a day in a city of 24 million. It will probably pick up though. I'm much more worried about the strict lock downs city's are starting.

The reality is China should let this variant sweep through. Most of the country is vaccinated and this is a fairly tame version of it. This is the time for it to happen. I'm glad they've at least greatly lowered the standards for quarantine. If you get sick or in close contact. You can be released with no symptoms and two negative tests 24 hours apart.

Oddly I do have a friend who probably has it in Shanghai. He's getting tested. If he is positive he'll be the first person I and anyone I know who's had it. Besides one friends parents who were in Wuhan when it broke out.

COVID CASES USA
55,480 MAR 14 2022
37,989 MAR 14 2021

DEATHS
1,399 MAR 14 2022
569 MAR 14 2021

So why are mask mandates now all being removed?

1. Downward trend
2. Politics

I might have that order backwards
Not necessarily. I don’t necessarily agree with this.

1. Downward trend (agree)
2. Last year we were still working to get vaccines out. The need for masking was still great since the majority of the population wasn’t eligible to be vaccinated until April or May.

This year? Those who wanted to get vaccinated would’ve already done so. Those dying today have mostly chosen that fate by refusing to get vaccinated. What more are Democrats, doctors, employers supposed to do? We’ve tried carrots and sticks. Giving out guns and beer while issuing mandates. If by this time you still haven’t gotten vaccinated? You probably never will. So why continue to ask the public (majority vaccinated) to wear masks and sacrifice because Joe Sixpack who watches too much Fox News refuses to get vaccinated? The majority of us who are vaccinated suffer mild effects from omicron for the most part. It’s not just political, it’s also just common sense. You can’t keep requiring the 70+ percent to sacrifice for the jackasses who refuse to do the bare minimum

Not necessarily.

1. Downward trend (agree)
2. Last year we were still working to get vaccines out. The need for masking was still great since the majority of the population wasn’t eligible to be vaccinated until April or May.

This year? Those who wanted to get vaccinated would’ve already done so. Those dying today have mostly chosen that fate by refusing to get vaccinated. What more are Democrats, doctors, employers supposed to do? We’ve tried carrots and sticks. Giving out guns and beer while issuing mandates. If by this time you still haven’t gotten vaccinated? You probably never will. So why continue to ask the public (majority vaccinated) to wear masks and sacrifice because Joe Sixpack who watches too much Fox News refuses to get vaccinated? The majority of us who are vaccinated suffer mild effects from omicron for the most part.
I'm pro vax, but the majority of people with Omicron don't have severe symptoms, vaccinated or not.

And it spreads like wildfire, meaning our most vulnerable population will continue to die from it.

Cases and deaths have been consistently higher in 2022 compared with same date in 2021.

And while John Stockton's Republicans make up the majority of unvaccinated in the U.S., approximately 32% of the unvaccinated group is Democrat.

I will just continue to hope we don't see another deadly variant. I'm happy to get this over, just seems puzzling we are doing it when deaths rates are so high. Have to think there are political motivations behind the decision.

I'm pro vax, but the majority of people with Omicron don't have severe symptoms, vaccinated or not.

And it spreads like wildfire, meaning our most vulnerable population will continue to die from it.

Cases and deaths have been consistently higher in 2022 compared with same date in 2021.

And while John Stockton's Republicans make up the majority of unvaccinated in the U.S., approximately 32% of the unvaccinated group is Democrat.

I will just continue to hope we don't see another deadly variant. I'm happy to get this over, just seems puzzling we are doing it when deaths rates are so high. Have to think there are political motivations behind the decision.
Well there are human factors. We've been dealing with this for two damn years. We have COVID fatigue.

Many of us are just ready to take whatever comes because it feels more or less inevitable.

I'm willing to put on a mask and I'll make my way to the front of the line for a fourth injection if that becomes an option and get my family on the list as soon as possible, drive them to the appointment and make it as easy as possible for them to get it also. I haven't had COVID nor has anyone in my house and I very much want to keep it that way.

But I'm ****ing tired of all this. I'm tired. I want to relax.

One really sad thing happening in China is pets being killed. Most places pets are killed when someone tests positive for covid and they are taken away to hospital/quarantine in China. I worry my friends dogs will be killed soon if he tests positive since he has symptoms and was in close contact with a positive person. He had a home party because he thought it was too unsafe to go out and one guest was positive. My wife suggested he get someone to pick up his dogs. But almost no one would take the risk here(he lives too far from us to help). Even more sad is that often its pretty inhumane. I watched videos of workers in hazmats suits coming into a house with a bat and chasing a poor dog around and beating it repeatedly until it was killed. There is some outrage here over it from some people, but the reality is the majority have been made so afraid of the virus here that they are okay with extreme measures.

Well there are human factors. We've been dealing with this for two damn years. We have COVID fatigue.

Many of us are just ready to take whatever comes because it feels more or less inevitable.

I'm willing to put on a mask and I'll make my way to the front of the line for a fourth injection if that becomes an option and get my family on the list as soon as possible, drive them to the appointment and make it as easy as possible for them to get it also. I haven't had COVID nor has anyone in my house and I very much want to keep it that way.

But I'm ****ing tired of all this. I'm tired. I want to relax.
Yeah, I am tired too. A vaccine expert recently stated current data does not support the need for boosters. The data shows the original shots are enough to prevent serious illness or death. I'm happy to get a booster, but will continue to monitor data.

COVID CASES USA
55,480 MAR 14 2022
37,989 MAR 14 2021

DEATHS
1,399 MAR 14 2022
569 MAR 14 2021

So why are mask mandates now all being removed?

Because people just got sick of masks i think. We as a society are much more afraid and put out by minor inconveniences these days than death.
We are cool with people dying if it means we dont have to be inconvenienced.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app