What's new

Coronavirus

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I have Covid and the last 4 days have been hell. It's scary not being able to breathe because your throat is so swollen for a few days only to be followed by tightness in your chest and lungs.

This, by far, is the worst I've ever been sick. I would have gone to the ER multiple times the last few days but my new insurance hasn't kicked in. I'd rather chance death than have a huge medical bill.

This sucks.
I'm pulling for you man! I'm between insurance coverage right now too, which is stressful enough without actually getting sick or hurt.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
I have Covid and the last 4 days have been hell. It's scary not being able to breathe because your throat is so swollen for a few days only to be followed by tightness in your chest and lungs.

This, by far, is the worst I've ever been sick. I would have gone to the ER multiple times the last few days but my new insurance hasn't kicked in. I'd rather chance death than have a huge medical bill.

This sucks.
Damn man, I'm so sorry. Take care of yourself.

The Thriller

This sucks.
Our health care delivery system is the worst of all industrialized nations. We have fine doctors and nurses. But the chokehold that the insurance and pharma industries have on people and this country is just disgusting. Hope you get better soon. When I had Covid (pre-vax) downing regular Mucinex (not the D one), nasal spray, and hot showers helped a lot.

The Thriller

I'm pulling for you man! I'm between insurance coverage right now too, which is stressful enough without actually getting sick or hurt.
Ridiculous. Utterly Ridiculous. So between coverages you just hope and pray you don't need health care. Talk about playing Russian Roulette.

Gameface

Stand With Ukraine
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Ridiculous. Utterly Ridiculous. So between coverages you just hope and pray you don't need health care. Talk about playing Russian Roulette.
Yeah, it's a stupid health care/insurance system we have. That people are resistant to moving to a variety of systems that have been proven in industrialized modern countries is absurd.

JazzGal

Contributor

This sucks.
Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Australia is a country of 25 million and had fewer than 300,000 babies in 2020. Victoria, the most locked down province, cratered their fertility rate the hardest, all the way down to 1.43 babies per woman. By contrast, in 2020 Utah had a fertility rate of 1.99 babies per woman. It is a unwell world that elects to sacrifice its young and the generation not yet born.

And there is literally no way to be certain the reason for those fertility rates. Maybe people in austrailaia would have had less kids than people in utah regardless of covid. (Mormons are known for having hella kids btw. Mormons also tend to have a large population in utah)

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

TheGoldStandard

2022 Prediction Contest Winner
And there is literally no way to be certain the reason for those fertility rates. Maybe people in austrailaia would have had less kids than people in utah regardless of covid. (Mormons are known for having hella kids btw. Mormons also tend to have a large population in utah)

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Utah's is also in decline but still higher than most of the USA. 1.9 is still a negative replacement rate. A pandemic in general and the economic instability it creates for many is a natural result.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner

This actually makes me wonder if they are remote enough is it worse to go miles and miles to get a vaccine and expose yourself to the virus in the first place, or stay at home where it is probably unlikely it ever makes its way there? I guess it depends on how much contact the village has with other population centers, but it made me think.

Scat

An interesting article regarding Covid deaths in China.

"...based on excess mortality calculations, The Economist estimates that the true number of Covid deaths in China is not 4,636 – but something like 1.7 million.

That is, China’s cumulative death toll is likely at least double that of the United States."

Red

This actually makes me wonder if they are remote enough is it worse to go miles and miles to get a vaccine and expose yourself to the virus in the first place, or stay at home where it is probably unlikely it ever makes its way there? I guess it depends on how much contact the village has with other population centers, but it made me think.
Most of the tribes in the Brazilian and Peruvian area of Amazonia are described as “uncontacted tribes”. In fact, almost all, if not all, have had contact over the years. Most have accepted metal trade goods. The term “uncontacted” is actually applied to those tribes who have expressly stated that they desire no further contact with the outside world. If one looks at the settlement of the Americas, the “big picture” launched by the voyages of Columbus, one can argue the Indian wars continue in the 21st century, as there have been violent clashes between uncontacted tribes and both miners and ranchers clear cutting forest. From that larger historical perspective, it’s a continuation of that fundamental cultural clash.

Good question. I only know the pandemic has had an effect, but diseases that were endemic to Western peoples also impacted these tribes, just as things like possibly smallpox or the plague wiped out a huge % of New England natives in 1616, several years before the Pilgrims landed. In general, Western disease cleared the way for settlement. Of course in Brazil, their president has no desire to see uncontacted tribes even survive. I do believe he would be fine with clear cutting most of the Brazilian Amazon.