What's new

Coronavirus

He doesn't want the country to sink into a depression with 30% unemployment next quarter. That would devastate millions of lives as much or more than the virus.

The problem is nearly all countries in Europe end up in some form of a lockdown. Even Great Britian has started to change its approach after initially trying to go without stopping the economy. It seems like country after country begin with some mild restrictions but as the time passes they see that the virus spreads so easily that they can't keep it under control without imposing strict rules. So the logic would dictate to take on it drastically from the beginning as eventually you end up with a form of a lockdown which needs than longer time to give effects because you treated it too lightly in the beginning.
Unless the US has already knowledge about some promising treatment which with combination of the coming of the warmer weather may stop that thing.

Last edited:
Remember @Zombie Alan taught us a few months ago that the potus can do whatever he wants. Any unethical or illegal action is justified because he’s potus. Even if the primary motive is selfish, it can also be considered “good for the country” because he’s potus.

Reactions: Red
If we lose hundreds of thousands or god forbid millions of lives to the virus we'll sink into a depression anyway.

dead or dying people doing make good workers or consumers? Who would’ve thought?

A recession is guaranteed imo. Every American could go to work for the next month and have complete immunity from this virus and I don’t see our economy picking up much. The rest of the world is shut down. We can make stuff but who’s gonna buy it with the world dying of this virus?

The problem is nearly all countries in Europe end up in some form of a lockdown. Even Great Britian has started to change its approach after initially trying to go without stopping the economy. It seems like country after country begin with some mild restrictions but as the time passes they see that the virus spreads so easily that they can't keep it under control without imposing strict rules. So the logic would dictate to take on it drastically from the beginning as eventually you end up with a form of a lockdown which needs than longer time to give effects because you treated it too lightly in the beginning.
Unless the US has already knowledge about some promising treatment which with combination of the coming of the warmer weather may stop that thing.

The country that has avoided economic disruption the best is South Korea. They were prepared to test literally everyone right away, get a clear view of who was infected, isolate those cases immediately, and keep the rest of the people working as per usual. As for the U.S., the question becomes how long the country as a whole can remain shut down. Hotspots like New York, Seattle and parts of California may need to remain locked down as much or more than they already are. However, a number of states where the infection rate is very low may not be able to justify staying shut down more than another week or two.

In Utah, for example, we have 257 positive diagnoses from a base of 5,000 tests administered. There's been one fatality so far in Davis County. If these numbers stay relatively low over the next week or two, will the economy start up again with some basic measures for social distancing? Shutting down the economy is meant to be a temporary measure to dramatically slow the spread of the virus.

See -- https://covidtracking.com/data/#states-nav

unless all you care about is desperately trying to prop up your stock market numbers to win re-election.

If only we had evidence of trump acting unethically and desperately to win an election...

I can already see Trump twetting in a few days:

"You will see, it's a beautiful lockdown, a perfect lockdown. Such a beautiful thing. Nothing wrong with it. I knew it from the beginning, it was the most perfect, incredible solution ever. The do-nothing Democrats tried to stop it. But it was beautiful, perfect, like my phone call..."

The country that has avoided economic disruption the best is South Korea. They were prepared to test literally everyone right away, get a clear view of who was infected, isolate those cases immediately, and keep the rest of the people working as per usual. As for the U.S., the question becomes how long the country as a whole can remain shut down. Hotspots like New York, Seattle and parts of California may need to remain locked down as much or more than they already are. However, a number of states where the infection rate is very low may not be able to justify staying shut down more than another week or two.

In Utah, for example, we have 257 positive diagnoses from a base of 5,000 tests administered. There's been one fatality so far in Davis County. If these numbers stay relatively low over the next week or two, will the economy start up again with some basic measures for social distancing? Shutting down the economy is meant to be a temporary measure to dramatically slow the spread of the virus.

See -- https://covidtracking.com/data/#states-nav

So why didn't we act like South Korea? We had our first cases on the first day. How did their leader act vs Donald?

If we lose hundreds of thousands or god forbid millions of lives to the virus we'll sink into a depression anyway.

The Covid-19 virus is already out there. Eventually, most people will get exposed to it. The government is merely trying to prevent a scenario where everyone is getting exposed all at once. When they speak of flattening the curve, all they're trying to do is delay a majority of the population from getting infected, so that existing medical facilities and staff aren't hit with a sudden wave that overwhelms them. They're trying to prevent a scenario where a hospital only has one respirator available for 4 or 5 critical patients who need it. As it stands now, only a few areas of the country are at risk of reaching that dreaded scenario.

All the government can do with this social-distancing strategy is buy some time to produce more hospital beds, produce more respirators, and make progress towards a vaccine, so that the most serious cases can get the treatment they need.

South Korea is 38,623 square miles.
We are 3,531,905 square miles.

That difference in sheer size, population, levels and complexity of government, resources available, and culture all make our situation far different than South Korea’s. There’s no doubt Trump should have handled this better. He ****ed it up. But us to SK is apples to oranges.

As it stands now, only a few areas of the country are at risk of reaching that dreaded scenario.
This isn't quite right, as it stands now only a few areas of the country are on the precipice of that scenario. If we try to go back to business as usual in places where it doesn't look that bad yet, we're just speeding them along to that same precipice.

The best path forward, both economically and from public health perspective is to continue social distancing until we have the testing and contact tracing ability of S Korea.

Otherwise I think we'll see outbreaks spike, which will cause us to take even more drastic measures to get it back under control.

South Korea is 38,623 square miles.
We are 3,531,905 square miles.

That difference in sheer size, population, levels and complexity of government, resources available, and culture all make our situation far different than South Korea’s. There’s no doubt Trump should have handled this better. He ****ed it up. But us to SK is apples to oranges.

It's unlikely the U.S. would be able to emulate SK. I agree. The mistake the U.S. made was allowing people from China to travel into the U.S. in January, when the virus was already spreading there. They should have put in place a hard travel ban from China and/or a hard quarantine as early as possible. They waited too long.

Nearly 10,000 people flew into San Francisco Intnl. airport from China during and after the Lunar New Year celebration, before Trump put a travel restriction in place. Those passengers were told to self isolate at home for 14 days, but it's unlikely that many of them did. More were coming through Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, etc. etc. And since other countries in Europe didn't ban travel to and from China either, the virus then traveled to the U.S. from Europe.

All the travel bans were too little, too late. So at that point, testing people for the virus can't stop the spread, it just documents a portion of the spread.

I just look at it like its your issue to keep yourself safe. Not my issue to keep you safe. If you are one of the unlucky that are prone to have issues with this then its up to you to isolate, wash your hands non stop, wear face masks etc ..... I don't want you to get sick, but I want you to make sure you don't get sick.

I'm not going to see my parents because they are 60, I'm not seeing our neighbors because they have immune disorder issues, but the it should be squarely on their shoulders to keep themselves safe. I'll do my part but shutting everyone else down so some don't get put at risk seems crazy.

I know thats over simplifying things but I've got a lot of spare time to waste on pointless arguments right now.

I'm doing what I can. I fully understand that my health is primarily my responsibility. The point is, everyone should be trying to keep themselves safe. No one knows who it will attack and where. And that's the situation we are in.

Damn... pro lifers sure have a weird way of showing it.

one thing this shows is that we’re never going to address climate change in any meaningful way. Republicans are just too radical and selfish. From selling stocks while downplaying the virus threat to Rand Paul working out and potentially infecting others. Just too selfish. From CNN:
Paul's office announced on Sunday that he tested positive for the virus and that he was "feeling fine," but some senators and aides are angry at him for not doing more to self-quarantine earlier and for potentially exposing senators to the coronavirus. In the wake of Paul's diagnosis, Sens. Mitt Romney and Mike Lee of Utah self-quarantined on Sunday.

I just came back to Shanghai last week and everything is almost normal. Offices, subway, bus, restaurants even traffic. School haven't started yet tho and compounds are requiring strict quarantine for those coming from hard hit countries. There was a French family who came back a few days ago and the locals asked them to leave or stay in a facility before going back. The issue now is foreign cov.

I'm doing what I can. I fully understand that my health is primarily my responsibility. The point is, everyone should be trying to keep themselves safe. No one knows who it will attack and where. And that's the situation we are in.

Completely agree. I understand me and my families risk is much much lower than somes and I should be able to take the precautions necessary for me and my family. Others should do the same. I am pretty much 100% quarantined right now despite this virus likely having very little if any impact on my family even if we got it.

It sucks but shutting the entire country so the people that are likely not healthy to begin with don't get it seems a bit overkill. Good luck, and I hope you don't get it, but this has to end sometime soon or the damage will be far worse than a ton of old and sick people dying. No offense.