What's new

Coronavirus

from the guardian:

According to Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, COVID-19's mortality rate is probably about 1%, which is still about 10 times the flu's.
Thanks for sharing facts.

Ground truth, not alternative spin about what we want it to be, is essential to taking appropriate action.

Looks like your arguing a point no one is making. I haven't seen any claims we are going to be dead in a week or that we won't get a vaccine eventually. If that's the bar you think the discourse is at then sure that's an overreaction. Hasn't been what I've seen though.

He is overreacting by making up stories about people overreacting. Ironic, no?

It’s honestly as if some people have tuned out the experts and can’t analyze basic math.

One finding of the 911 Report was that it was basically a failure of imagination. Everything that happened was, in hindsight, pretty easy to see as a possibility and could have been mitigated.

The COVID 10 naysayers and minimizers also suffer a failure of imagination. They see what is happening in the world and say "it's not so bad, in Wuhon only X deaths, not bad compared to the flu" Their imagination fails to see what would have happened if the Chinese did not lockdown the region and the deaths that would have occurred, which of course would have dwarfed any influenza numbers.

Then they say that locking down the economy is stupid because such few people died.

Circularly illogical.

The flu is endemic. I don't think the seasonal flu overwhelms the ability of our hospitals to respond to it. Pandemics can overwhelm. Shortage of protective measures for our health care workers, and shortages of ventilators and beds for the seriously ill, are a recipe for a disastrous event, regardless of which bug would actually kill more, if both bugs were endemic. I imagine waves for both, but for a pandemic like Covid-19, the wave can be closer to tsunami-level, I imagine.

Shut up with your facts and logic. :- )

Reactions: Red
More on the shortage of ventilators...there is a longer version of this 5 minute video if you wonder what she is talking about at the end. (Google Emily Porter whiteboard)
I realize this is an opinion piece, but it's an informed opinion.

Reactions: Red
PBS and NPR are not a waste.
This is debatable but that said, does funding for PBS and NPR belong in bill that is meant to save the economy from a pandemic? They do this because if they ever sent a spending bill to congress for nothing other than funding PBS and NPR it would never get through. They have to piggy back (hide) it in a bill that the American people deem important.

This is debatable but that said, does funding for PBS and NPR belong in bill that is meant to save the economy from a pandemic? They do this because if they ever sent a spending bill to congress for nothing other than funding PBS and NPR it would never get through. They have to piggy back (hide) it in a bill that the American people deem important.
They are a source for news and educational programming that is not tied to advertisers or other financing that could influence their coverage.

So yeah, as the nation enters shelter-in-place orders, we need public media. The outlets that put entertainment and profitability BEHIND information and education.

I love how you guys defend and even celebrate the waste.

How many ventilators could $500 billion purchased being reserved for corporate bailouts? This game could be played all day.

It's not an issue with money for ventilators, never has been. It's always been about supply and the push to manufacture them.

Also, still awaiting an answer to the question I posed on Page 70:

Your message - "It looks like Trump's doing pretty well. Especially for how unprecedented this pandemic is. I have no doubt that Biden or Sanders would have been a complete disaster during this crisis."

My reply - "How would they have been a disaster? Expand on this thought a bit please."

How many ventilators could $500 billion purchased being reserved for corporate bailouts? This game could be played all day.

It's not an issue with money for ventilators, never has been. It's always been about supply and the push to manufacture them.

Also, still awaiting an answer to the question I posed on Page 70:

Your message - "It looks like Trump's doing pretty well. Especially for how unprecedented this pandemic is. I have no doubt that Biden or Sanders would have been a complete disaster during this crisis."

My reply - "How would they have been a disaster? Expand on this thought a bit please."

Go easy on him. He can't articulate his own thoughts. Right now he is like:

giphy.gif

Spain now is new hot area:( most death's and most new cases yesterday. Hope our spanish friends are staying safe?