What's new

Could we win the championship this year?

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
If we were to somehow miraculously get 100% healthy by all-star break could we beat the Warriors/Spurs/Clips/Cavaliers in a series?

No. This season is about going thru the motions, not actually competing.

Even in the unlikely event they get thru the west they aren't stopping the Cavs in the finals.

About... 4% chance according to fivethirtyeight.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

4% LOL.

If you believe that I have a bridge in brooklyn I can sell you for just 50 grand cash. You can set up tolls and make your money back in no time.

Yes, we could. But don't conflate that with we're going to win the championship.

If the Warriors get hurt and we miraculously get everybody back, sure.

But it'd take one hell of a playoff run to get past GSW (even if injured), San Antonio, Clippers, and Houston, and then beating LeBron in the Finals.

I'm gonna say no. But I think we get put on that radar next season if we can retain everybody.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lol on one side of the extreme end, I see a thread arguing to get rid of Exum, our only shot at even having a chance at a championship run. And that's if he pans out which is now very unlikely given how many minutes he plays under Snyder.

And now on the other side of the extreme, I see this thread lol. We probably won't even be able to retain Hayward, let alone be a championship contender. But yeah, I guess it's better to dream about this to rationalize wasting time watching so many Jazz games.

Lol on one side of the extreme end, I see a thread arguing to get rid of Exum, our only shot at even having a chance at a championship run. And that's if he pans out which is now very unlikely given how many minutes he plays under Snyder.

And now on the other side of the extreme, I see this thread lol. We probably won't even be able to retain Hayward, let alone be a championship contender. But yeah, I guess it's better to dream about this to rationalize wasting time watching so many Jazz games.

sea-lamprey-facts.jpg

Any team could, but it would take some serious luck. In all reality we would need to have someone else beat the warriors and then matchup with the spurs/clippers in the WCF, and even GETTING to WCF is going to be tough.

For the Jazz to have a legit shot it would take the following
1 - Fully healthy team, as mentioned by the OP
2 - Warriors losing in the second round.
3 - Getting lucky with an injury or two on the opposing teams in the second round and WCF
4 - Cavs either get upset or seriously banged up in their playoff run, highly unlikely.

I would love to see it but I doubt it will happen. Fun to think about though

Short answer, Yes. Long answer, nope.

Any team could, but it would take some serious luck. In all reality we would need to have someone else beat the warriors and then matchup with the spurs/clippers in the WCF, and even GETTING to WCF is going to be tough.

For the Jazz to have a legit shot it would take the following
1 - Fully healthy team, as mentioned by the OP
2 - Warriors losing in the second round.
3 - Getting lucky with an injury or two on the opposing teams in the second round and WCF
4 - Cavs either get upset or seriously banged up in their playoff run, highly unlikely.

I would love to see it but I doubt it will happen. Fun to think about though

This is the real answer. If the jazz got 100% healthy and stayed 100% healthy all year and curry, durant, and lebron got injured then i think we would have a decent shot.

if goldenstate and the warrior both lose 90% of their team due to injuries then yes. I'd say...there's a chance...

if goldenstate and the warrior both lose 90% of their team due to injuries then yes. I'd say...there's a chance...

Cleveland and teh cavalier too

You do realize "fan" is part of fanatic. If you are a fan you have to believe you have a shot. If not then why even care?

A few story lines

Exum - realizes his potential, starts knocking down outside shots and becomes lick down defender. This would drive Curry crazy

Favors - developed a goto low post game and becomes unstoppable. Only the clips have a low post team capable of competing with the jazz.

Rudy - goes all world and no one can score with in 5' of the basket allowing the jazz to become more aggressive on the perimeter. Disrupting passing and shooting

Hayward - his scoring is Jordanesqe. Put the ball in his hands and he will find a way to score

Hood - goes off from outside and is listed among the great 3 point shooters.

Johnson - finds the fountain of youth and comes off the bench scoring like he use to.

Lyles - gets it. Both offense and defense and no one can stop him. He is a mismatch no mayer where he is.

Hill - quietly becomes the second greatest point guard ever to Don a jazz jersey.

Sent from my SM-N910V using JazzFanz mobile app

No. This season is about going thru the motions, not actually competing.

Even in the unlikely event they get thru the west they aren't stopping the Cavs in the finals.

I agree and I don't. This year is about competing with the best. Pushing and fighting and getting as far as you can. It is absolutely about competing.

Having said that no this year is not a championship year. It is about competing as hard as you can, evaluating the team during the offseason and tweaking the weak parts out for better parts and pushing for the chip next year. Forge this team by fire.

You do realize "fan" is part of fanatic. If you are a fan you have to believe you have a shot. If not then why even care?

A few story lines

Exum - realizes his potential, starts knocking down outside shots and becomes lick down defender. This would drive Curry crazy

Favors - developed a goto low post game and becomes unstoppable. Only the clips have a low post team capable of competing with the jazz.

Rudy - goes all world and no one can score with in 5' of the basket allowing the jazz to become more aggressive on the perimeter. Disrupting passing and shooting

Hayward - his scoring is Jordanesqe. Put the ball in his hands and he will find a way to score

Hood - goes off from outside and is listed among the great 3 point shooters.

Johnson - finds the fountain of youth and comes off the bench scoring like he use to.

Lyles - gets it. Both offense and defense and no one can stop him. He is a mismatch no mayer where he is.

Hill - quietly becomes the second greatest point guard ever to Don a jazz jersey.

Sent from my SM-N910V using JazzFanz mobile app

Then a special session is convened and they are all elected to the Hall of Fame, right? LOL

Well, all the predictions say no. But I learned this year that predictions are all wrong since Trump got elected.

The Jazz will win the championship this year. And if they don't I'm moving to Canada (I also learned this year that threatening to move to Canada is the thing to do if things don't go the way you want them to).

I think there's a shot, and it hinges on a few things

- We need to get healthy, and we need to get healthy quickly. One of the things that will help is that if our squad galvanizes and gets healthy, maybe we'll be able to identify minute roster-holes that can be addressed via trade. That's why it's important to get healthy before the trade deadline in February.
- I'm truly not fearful of any Western Conference opponent except for the Warriors. I think that match-up might come down to our bench vs. theirs, and how much grief Favors can cause Durant (as I'm thinking that'll be the body we throw on him, not sure how much Hayward has ever bothered him historically speaking). Their bench should have zero business keeping up with ours though, and we just have so many tools to throw at them if something isn't working out. Get Diaw on the floor to guard Draymond if we need offence. Get JJ on the floor to exploit isos if they're switching everything. Etc. etc.

This is kinda our year, guys. I'm not sure how much of this core will be retained in the years to come. Quin currently has this team operating as a top 10 offence and top 10 defence (only the Clips and the Dubs join us in this regard), and we have really good team morale. Good vets, good contracts, and the west is kinda wide-open after the first 3 seeds. We should be able to secure homecourt if we can simply get our health together.

And honestly even if we were to make the Finals and lose, that would still be a tremendous accomplishment for this team and the organization.

I'm fiercely expecting a 2nd round appearance in the playoffs from our team, and I think it's reasonable to hope for a conference finals berth. Winning the west seems impossible until you realize we're firmly in the playoff race even after constantly missing time from 2-3 starters on our team.