What's new

Cousins signing with Warriors

It's not just that...there's no money out there. So you punt this year to become a FA again in 2019. It's a good strategy for players who can't get what they want or even what their normal value should be.

Plus, Cousins needs to show he's 100% healthy. NO probably said no to $30m+. So what is he supposed to do, go play for a loser at the MLE?

Will Warriors win 74?

And there's no pressure for him to perform... or even play, until the playoffs.

People overreacting to this. Based on the history of players with torn Achilles. He's basically the warriors new David west. I'd be surprised if he average more than 15 pt a game after return.

http://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/demarcus_cousins_vs_rudy_gobert.htm

Last two games only. Other than that Cousins and Lopez normally whip Gobert's ***. Rudy is awesome but let's not get carried away, he gets punished by classic bigs.
All I see is ****** effeciency from Cousins. This doesnt even take into account last season. Since Gobert has emerged as a DPOY candiate, Cousins hasnt done **** to him. The refs have let Cousins score some points a few games. Cousins aint doing **** on Rudy.

Drummond kicked Rudy's ***. And Adams kind of did(at times). And Capella. Did anyone else?

We are over thinking the solution.

To me, the current system just needs to keep everything exactly like it is but do away with all exceptions. There is no reason GS should have a $5.3 million exception. But like some said, players will take less to play together regardless of the numbers. If Boogie would take $1.5, then so be it. I would be okay with that. I just can't stomach the BS $5.3 million contract which made it more possible.

Another addition - if a team is over the luxury for 2 years in a row, they don't get a 1st round pick. So keep your team together and keep spending big money, but realize you dont get picks by doing so.

So a luxury team can only add players at one year $1.5 contracts and they lose their 1st rounder if they are in the luxury for two years. So a team like OKC or GS would only get a 1st rounder every other year at the pace they are going.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Gobert just got a free ride to his all-star spot. Ain't nobody going to vote Cousins in there any more. So that is a good thing.

Well this signing is showing that what I predicted is coming true. I think with the money where it is players realize they can get by just fine with the $100 mill they already have, and will be happy to take $5 mill to get the guaranteed ring. Watch the revolving door as first Cousins, then who?, remains to be seen, move into GS to get the ring, then move on to a more lucrative contract so they can retire a "champion" and still get the $100 mill+. This will break the league. Not just Cousins signing here, but what it foreshadows for the next 5-8 years, which is easily the time frame in which GS can stay competitive with players like Cousins rotating in an out of the ring factory.

Wouldn't surprise me to see some of the aging stars who still have impact go to GS for pennies to get the ring. Even more established stars. I could even see a player like say Davis, for example, go there for less than market value, happy with the hundreds of millions he already has, to get the guaranteed ring.

The rise in overall salaries broke any parity the league might have had at one point. Now offering another $5 mill per year, when the player is looking at contracts in excess of $100 mill for 3-5 years, will mean absolutely nothing. No way a team like Utah can dig deep enough to bring the players there. Doesn't look good for the future of the league.

Well this signing is showing that what I predicted is coming true. I think with the money where it is players realize they can get by just fine with the $100 mill they already have, and will be happy to take $5 mill to get the guaranteed ring. Watch the revolving door as first Cousins, then who?, remains to be seen, move into GS to get the ring, then move on to a more lucrative contract so they can retire a "champion" and still get the $100 mill+. This will break the league. Not just Cousins signing here, but what it foreshadows for the next 5-8 years, which is easily the time frame in which GS can stay competitive with players like Cousins rotating in an out of the ring factory.

Wouldn't surprise me to see some of the aging stars who still have impact go to GS for pennies to get the ring. Even more established stars. I could even see a player like say Davis, for example, go there for less than market value, happy with the hundreds of millions he already has, to get the guaranteed ring.

The rise in overall salaries broke any parity the league might have had at one point. Now offering another $5 mill per year, when the player is looking at contracts in excess of $100 mill for 3-5 years, will mean absolutely nothing. No way a team like Utah can dig deep enough to bring the players there. Doesn't look good for the future of the league.

I would agree with what you’re saying but the fact that none of the other 29 teams in the league even offered Cousins a contract. Nobody wanted him, he literally called the Warriors saying he’d take 5.3M for one-year.

I would agree with what you’re saying but the fact that none of the other 29 teams in the league even offered Cousins a contract. Nobody wanted him, he literally called the Warriors saying he’d take 5.3M for one-year.

I don't buy this. I believe that 29 teams wouldn't offer him a max contract, so he freaked out. There were other teams out there that would have given him the midlevel exception. Boston, for starters.