What's new

Culture of winning or tank?

Win or tank?

• Total voters

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Our guys looked good. Just one game but you can't deny what we saw. Has anyone changed their mind about tanking for Victor?

Both. Get the players that force a tank because they just are not good enough, but teach them to play hard and build a strong culture. But getting good players that play hard and want to win, but do have the talent to get very far, is the perfect recipe for fringe playoff and ****** picks for a half a decade. No thanks. They need to go all-in on the tank and immediately move Conley, Gay, and Clarkson for picks and bring up hungry g-leaguers to replace them. Then play hard, lose, auto-tank, Wemby.

It's a long season. I loved the hustle last night and lack of stat-chasing while realize that:

- We're not going to shoot 50% every game
- We are definitely not going to shoot 42% from three every game
- We're not going to win most games with nearly 20 turnovers
- Injuries are inevitable and will hit some of our contributors

We are going to win some games we shouldn't and lose a lot that we should. I don't think we'll be the worst team in the league; even though the roster is a bit haphazard without true stars, it's not without talent. It's the kind of team that likely won't be good enough to make the playoffs, but might not bad enough to net a top five pick.

Based on what we saw last night I don't think we have much of a choice.

That was likely an aberrational performance and we won't be a "good" team this year, but I do not think we will be horrid, either. Sufficiently talented, extremely scrappy, and the group seems to have the right unselfish vibes. We'll stumble into 30-35 wins.

I can’t get over how Bogey went to Detroit (?) and the Lakers just stared at the freight train that is Russell Westbrook barreling down the track and have done nothing.

I don’t know who gets more blame, but it is an absolute absurdity nothing got done there.

That’s a long way of saying the roster is way too good to organically lose 50 games. But nothing is more important than getting a true blue-chipper.

One game means nothing but the notion of tanking has never fit with a few of our good additions like Markkanen and keeping guys like Conley and JC. Unless we do some serious player moves this team is not in tank mode, we are just a lot worse than last year. The good news is that watching Vanderbilt last night was very enjoyable. Create a good culture and hope the picks can help with some decent trades.

One game means nothing but the notion of tanking has never fit with a few of our good additions like Markkanen and keeping guys like Conley and JC. Unless we do some serious player moves this team is not in tank mode, we are just a lot worse than last year. The good news is that watching Vanderbilt last night was very enjoyable. Create a good culture and hope the picks can help with some decent trades.
No asset that the Jazz have is more valuable than their own pick this year. To just continue toiling in mediocrity forever is foolish and that’s where this is headed.

And a bunch of picks in the 20’s for the next five years isn’t going to deliver us either. I guess maybe some of those picks might be worth something in 2027 and beyond, but the treadmill will be in full effect until then if we’re gonna be cowards about the most painful and important part of a rebuild. Five years is an eternity in this league.

No asset that the Jazz have is more valuable than their own pick this year. To just continue toiling in mediocrity forever is foolish and that’s where this is headed.

And a bunch of picks in the 20’s for the next five years isn’t going to deliver us either. I guess maybe some of those picks might be worth something in FIVE years but the treadmill will be in full effect until then if we’re gonna be cowards about the most painful and important part of a rebuild. Five years is an eternity in this league.
In game I will not root for loses... just like coaches and players don't tank... they play to win.

But it is in our best interest to win 10 or so games less than we should. Culture be damned if that's what it costs.

My only issue is I think Mike is great for Collin. Locke talked to Sexton's dad and he was VERY complimentary of Mike and said it is huge for Collin. I might keep him around if we can manage his minutes... but make no mistake about it... if he costs us a shot at Wemby, Scoot, Amen... then all that mentoring wasn't worth it. And we absolutely lose the game last night without Mike's steady hand.

And a bunch of picks in the 20’s for the next five years isn’t going to deliver us either. I guess maybe some of those picks might be worth something in 2027 and beyond, but the treadmill will be in full effect until then if we’re gonna be cowards about the most painful and important part of a rebuild. Five years is an eternity in this league.
I think we agree that where we are doesnt make a lot of sense. We didnt build around Rudy which made a ton of sense and was easy to do and we didnt get crappy enough in the off season to be in the running for a top pick. My sense for months has been that there is no plan other than being opportunistic. Hope it works.

We agree that where we are doesnt make a lot of sense. We didnt build around Rudy which made a ton of sense and was easy to do and we didnt get crappy enough in the off season to be in the running for a top pick. My sense for months has been that there is no plan other than being opportunistic. Hope it works.
Pretty fair. People think Ainge this master planner and knows how the game will play out... but that's not really how it played out in Boston. I think you can be opportunistic still... but we also need to cash in some current production for future assets to hopefully get lucky on a blue chip prospect.