What's new

Culture of winning or tank?

Win or tank?

• Total voters
So anyone who doesn't think we got worse compared to last year..... You definitely put a bunch of money on the jazz making the playoffs this year right?

Winning a good number of games VS winning a championship are 2 different things. (We were #1 in the League and we saw what happened to that team).

Then I think we need to ask ourselves "Do we need a Top 10 talent on the team to win an NBA Championship?"

With the exception of the 2004 Pistons I think the answer to that is "Yes". (Even Toronto needed Kawhi)

Then the next question is "How would the Jazz go and grab a Top 10 talent?"

We ain't gonna get it through FA I don't think.. Trading would be extremely difficult (look at what TWolves gave up for Gobert.. Cavs for Donovan and they're not even top 10 players)

That's why people say we need to build through the draft. (and being really bad for a few seasons intentionally)
Surprised nobody has answered this.

To those that don't like the tank - "Do we need a Top 10 Talent on the team to win an NBA Championship?"

And if the answer is "Yes" - then the follow up question "How do we get him?"

Surprised nobody has answered this.

To those that don't like the tank - "Do we need a Top 10 Talent on the team to win an NBA Championship?"

And if the answer is "Yes" - then the follow up question "How do we get him?"
Ainge got a top 10 player on the Celtics twice without having to tank or rely on free agency. The Bucks and Raptors both recently won championships with a top 10 player without having to tank or rely on free agency.

We can draft him with one of the many picks we have from other teams. We can offer a competitive package for a disgruntled top 10 player.

Both are probably more likely outcomes than getting a top 10 player with our 2023 pick, if we're being completely honest.

Ainge got a top 10 player on the Celtics twice without having to tank or rely on free agency. The Bucks and Raptors both recently won championships with a top 10 player without having to tank or rely on free agency.

We can draft him with one of the many picks we have from other teams. We can offer a competitive package for a disgruntled top 10 player.

Both are probably more likely outcomes than getting a top 10 player with our 2023 pick, if we're being completely honest.
I’m completely fine going that route, but this is a perfect year to trade away veteran players that aren’t likely in the new timeline and focus on adding young talent and draft assets.

If the Lakers came to me tomorrow with a decent asset to take Westbrook off their hands, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Conley, Clarkson, Beasley, Gay and Olynyk should all still be on the trade block.

I also would’ve taken on pretty much any garbage contract for additional unprotected picks this year. Duncan Robinson would look pretty good in yellow if the Jazz also had the Heat’s 23’ first round pick too.

Ok let's go through them 1 by 1 then.

Celetics - yes they got Tatum with the Nets pick right? But again that's relying on another team to suck. Are the T'Wolves or the Nets gonna suck anytime soon? How long do we have to wait?

Bucks - they obviously lucked out choosing Giannis with the 15th pick, but really when you're picking beyond 10th pick it's pretty rare to get a top 10 pick.

Toronto - yes they got Kawhi on a rental, but is that a long term solution? They're having to go back and rebuild again now.

Disgruntled top 10 player that would come and stay in Utah long term? - Who? Durant? Kyrie? LOL ..

Again - we can still do all those things you mentioned - but we can also be bad this year and get a really good pick. Those 2 things aren't mutually exclusive of each other.

Last edited:
I’m completely fine going that route, but this is a perfect year to trade away veteran players that aren’t likely in the new timeline and focus on adding young talent and draft assets.

If the Lakers came to me tomorrow with a decent asset to take Westbrook off their hands, I’d do it in a heartbeat. Conley, Clarkson, Beasley, Gay and Olynyk should all still be on the trade block.

I also would’ve taken on pretty much any garbage contract for additional unprotected picks this year. Duncan Robinson would look pretty good in yellow if the Jazz also had the Heat’s 23’ first round pick too.
Exactly. This year is the perfect year for it.

So anyone who doesn't think we got worse compared to last year..... You definitely put a bunch of money on the jazz making the playoffs this year right?
No, because I assume we'll make more trades to get worse. Plus betting on your own team is probably the dumbest bet you can make.

Gobert does make it easier to win a lot of regular season games as well I guess.

Ok let's go through them 1 by 1 then.

Celetics - yes they got Tatum with the Nets pick right? But again that's relying on another team to suck. Are the T'Wolves or the Nets gonna suck anytime soon? How long do we have to wait?

Bucks - they obviously lucked out choosing Giannis with the 15th pick, but really when you're picking beyond 10th pick it's pretty rare to get a top 10 pick.

Toronto - yes they got Kawhi on a rental, but is that a long term solution? They're having to go back and rebuild again now.

Disgruntled top 10 player that would come and stay in Utah long term? - Who? Durant? Kyrie? LOL ..
I like how you argue that each of these have a low probability when the odds of us getting a superstar with our own 2023 pick are also very low probability.

It's all a matter of getting good luck at some point. You asked how else we could get a top 10 player, and I answered.

No, because I assume we'll make more trades to get worse. Plus betting on your own team is probably the dumbest bet you can make.

Gobert does make it easier to win a lot of regular season games as well I guess.

Would making more trades to get worse mean we were tanking?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Tonight is the PERFECT example of what's happening this year.

- Conley being 'rested' (FO blatantly handicapping the Jazz, some call it "development", some call it "tank", whatever you call it the Jazz has less chance to win as a result of the decision)

- Sexton starting, learning to play the PG with passing, increasing his trade value (19 points, 4 ASSSITS!!!)

- Lauri getting heavy minutes and leading the team (23 points, 9 rebs, 5 assists)

- Agbagi, NAW, Horton Tucker, getting minutes and developing and figuring things out on the fly

- BUT THE TEAM PLAYS ITS HEART OUT AND WE WIN ANYWAY!! LOL !!

LOL .. this will be what's happening all year IMO. The FO 'resting' vets intermittently BUT the team continues to improve and play better as a team.

Let's see if the FO trade any of Conley, Clarkson, Beaseley by the trade deadline and take the "tank" to the next level.

Naw, it just means that three guys are legitimately sick and Hardy realized that Conley on back-to-backs isn't the wisest long-term move.
I can understand the sickness. But Conley? How many times did we rest him last year?

If the FO is all about winning EVERY SINGLE GAME this year, surely he's not resting.

I want a championship as much as the next guy, but enjoying watching the Jazz goes a long ways too.

Problem with tearing it down to get the #1 pick is you need to then build up around that person if you get the pick right.

Lauri potentially being an all star caliber player is huge... I’m selling timeshares on Lauri island at this point. I still have hope for Sexton and Kessler getting to that level as well.