What's new

Dame Time

I love Dame, I would have loved it if he got out when he did that interview several years ago when he said he would only play for LA or Utah if Portland didn't want him but..... he's just too old for where we are at. Once again, Love Dame

Well for one, sign a good free agent or two.

Parlay JC, KO, and/or THT (depending on how things play out this off-season). Rent cap space if they can’t turn all of it into legit pieces. The Jazz are still waaay short on 2nds and they can get those through these avenues. They’re really good for lubing deals.

I think next year is the last train out of town for picking up assets while still building in earnest.

I’m not touching the 1sts to rent a player in their mid-30’s. I’m just not.
I thought you meant premium assets. But yeah as others pointed out DA doesnt seem to care much about 2nds.

I dont think they have set the goal for next year, but if they had their choice they would use the cap space to build up. But only if they like what they see.

DA will be opportunistic as he always proclaims and has shown to be.. but my guess is they are fine sticking with player development one more year.

Likely still gonna make they playoffs though.

With cap space I dont think they take anything bad beyond 2024, since they probably gotta get a long term deal done with Lauri in the summer of 2024 and I would want to use that space to build before that deal is no longer on discount.

I wish Dame all the best, whether he stays and gets help by trading the 3rd pick or simply gets traded. Dude has been the most loyal. Respect!

I love Dame, I would have loved it if he got out when he did that interview several years ago when he said he would only play for LA or Utah if Portland didn't want him but..... he's just too old for where we are at. Once again, Love Dame
That's pretty much where I'm at, but I would be doing my best to drink the kool aid if the Jazz did get him. He's one of my favorite non-Jazz players ever.

Him and Lauri are coming off career years. Dame isnt too old. Dame + Lauri is an amazing team and you can stay under the cap because of Lauri's contract. You add in Walker Kessler and you got a really good threesome.

IDK what it would take to get Dame, but of course it would take this year's 9th overall pick and probably a lot of our other high value picks, but if you can keep it too mostly the further out picks, you can build a super strong team around those 3 while still retaining some of the talent on the roster that helped us be a decent team last year. Then use the two latter picks this year with smart drafting to get young high upside talent.

The West is not that strong this year and I dont see it gaining a ton of strength next year. Victor ****ing Wembenamya just went to one of the smarter organizations in the NBA. The time to strike might be now unless you want to peak the team around the time Victor is dominating the NBA.

Listening to Locke he brought up a point that Dame's salary is so large it might be hard to trade just from a logistics standpoint and Utah has an advantage there. I wonder if you could get Dame for fairly cheap (9th pick this year, Wolves 2025 pick, Cavs 2025 pick) and whatever is necessary for salary filler (Locke said something like it might be possible to send partial salary to the Blazers and use the rest of the cap-room, but he wasnt sure if that worked per CBA) but if it did work, I would give them Sexton (sorry just not going to be super useful to have Sexton when you got Dame playing at least 30 MPG). So that's 3 premium draft picks and 1 good young player on a fair contract. Per recent trades that's an underpay for Dame, but it's good value if they cant anything anywhere else.

You would still have the picks after 2025 to retool after the Dame era and create a new version of the team around Lauri.

Draft Gregory Jackson Jr at 16 and be happy.

And isnt Cooper Flag the 2025 draft? That's a super high stakes draft if he is. That would be my selling point to the Blazers.

Portland has some fascinating what if pivot opportunities. I think if I was them I may just draft Scoot then retain Grant and pivot mid season… not sure how great an asset Grant is but if you trade Dame he surely walks for nothing.

I cooked up a half baked idea last night when I was bored where they do a three team deal (maybe ends up 4) where Ayton ends up in Portland, Nurkic in Phoenix we add some picks and take some money to smooth things out on all sides and Phoenix uses the picks to round out the roster… Portland gets some picks and we get 3rd pick… maybe it’s like 25% baked but I could see Portland talking themselves into Ayton as a big they have been missing.

I have some other scenarios I’m cooking up too but it’s hard to find a home for Nurkic.

Listening to Locke he brought up a point that Dame's salary is so large it might be hard to trade just from a logistics standpoint and Utah has an advantage there. I wonder if you could get Dame for fairly cheap (9th pick this year, Wolves 2025 pick, Cavs 2025 pick) and whatever is necessary for salary filler (Locke said something like it might be possible to send partial salary to the Blazers and use the rest of the cap-room, but he wasnt sure if that worked per CBA) but if it did work, I would give them Sexton (sorry just not going to be super useful to have Sexton when you got Dame playing at least 30 MPG). So that's 3 premium draft picks and 1 good young player on a fair contract. Per recent trades that's an underpay for Dame, but it's good value if they cant anything anywhere else.

You would still have the picks after 2025 to retool after the Dame era and create a new version of the team around Lauri.

And isnt Cooper Flag the 2025 draft? That's a super high stakes draft if he is. That would be my selling point to the Blazers.
no, he's 2026 assuming they still aren't allowing HS kids to go straight to the league - or has it already been decided that they can? either way, he was a sophomore this past season so he's HS class of 2025.

So the issue is that is how Dames contract should be viewed… but what ends up happening is teams get blinded by “it’s DAME LILLARD!!!”. Like last year… Rudy’s contract should have been a bigger drag on his trade value but we still got a premium price.

Now with the new CBA it will basically be so restrictive to be a team like the Warriors or Clippers so teams may pause a bit if the Dame deal projects to throw them over the second apron.

It sounds like Dame ain’t getting out unless he pushes for it so I doubt we get a discount.

no, he's 2026 assuming they still aren't allowing HS kids to go straight to the league - or has it already been decided that they can? either way, he was a sophomore this past season so he's HS class of 2025.
No chance he can reclassify? Dude looks like he could play in the NBA now. Going to be a freak

So the issue is that is how Dames contract should be viewed… but what ends up happening is teams get blinded by “it’s DAME LILLARD!!!”. Like last year… Rudy’s contract should have been a bigger drag on his trade value but we still got a premium price.

Now with the new CBA it will basically be so restrictive to be a team like the Warriors or Clippers so teams may pause a bit if the Dame deal projects to throw them over the second apron.

It sounds like Dame ain’t getting out unless he pushes for it so I doubt we get a discount.
Danny can get him to push it?

I actually like this a lot. If Portland has Simons, Sharpe and presumably Scoot I’m not sure they would want Sexton. If Scoot goes 2nd I could see them wanting Sexton. They might want Ochai instead if they drafted Scoot.

I actually like this a lot. If Portland has Simons, Sharpe and presumably Scoot I’m not sure they would want Sexton. If Scoot goes 2nd I could see them wanting Sexton. They might want Ochai instead if they drafted Scoot.
Sexton is just an asset. If they really wanted the deal done, the prize is the picks, so not sure Sexton vs Ochai is enough for them to haggle.

As per the CBA, Jazz would either have to match Dame's salary (the traded players salaries 125% would have to be equal or more than Dam's salary) if they go over the tax-payer limit, or trade enough players to not go over the salary cap. Jazz can stay below the tax (absorbong Dames salary so that they can still sign the players they draft this year) if they trade Rudy Gay, plus either Sexton or Markkanen, plus either Olynyk or THT, plus either Agbaji or Fontecchio.

As per the CBA, Jazz would either have to match Dame's salary (the traded players salaries 125% would have to be equal or more than Dam's salary) if they go over the tax-payer limit, or trade enough players to not go over the salary cap. Jazz can stay below the tax (absorbong Dames salary so that they can still sign the players they draft this year) if they trade Rudy Gay, plus either Sexton or Markkanen, plus either Olynyk or THT, plus either Agbaji or Fontecchio.

I have no idea what you’re talking about but I do know we could take Dame’s salary on by just trading Sexton. That includes everyone opting into their player options and picking up KO’s option.

If we wanted to re-sign Clarkson we would have to trade whatever salary he signs for.

The less players that opt in the more room we could have as well. We could straight up take Dame without sending anything back if both Clarkson and THT opted out.