What's new

Dante Exum Averages .2 Steals Per Game

Dante will have made nearly $50M by the end of his extension. I'm curious to know who the highest paid NBA "bust" is, and how close is Exum to approaching that? It may end up to be the biggest accomplishment of his career.

Reactions: MVP
I think his best case is Tony Allen. He has to find his dog and just commit to defense 100% while working on his shot. Stop trying to be a PG.

Wow, you really have high hopes for him. T. Allen was one of the best perimeter defenders, a true pest so annoying that nobody wanted to play vs him. I have not seen anything in Exum showing he can embrace that role and be like T.Allen.

Dante will have made nearly $50M by the end of his extension. I'm curious to know who the highest paid NBA "bust" is, and how close is Exum to approaching that? It may end up to be the biggest accomplishment of his career.

Judging by the earnings of the most obvious busts, Dante is up there on the pedestal guys...
Kwame Brown - $64M
Darko Milicic - $52M
Greg Oden - $24M
Adam Morrison - $17M
Hasheem Thabeet - $17M
Jimmer Fredette - $9M

Chandler Parsons - $94 million. On one contract.
I said busts... he was picked 38th... and He averaged 15/5/3 over a four season span on good shooting....

Exum was picked 5th and has never ever even come close to parsons.

Last edited:
I said busts... he was picked 38th... and He averaged 15/5/3 over a four season span on good shooting....

Exum was picked 5th and has never ever even come close to parsons.

Parson wasn't a bust, but he is one of the worst values of all time.

Exum is like spending $10 on a Big Mac. Parsons is like spending $100 on an Applebee's hamburger. I'll spend $10 on a Big Mac all day long.

Exum is like spending $10 on a Big Mac. Parsons is like spending $100 on an Applebee's hamburger. I'll spend $10 on a Big Mac all day long.

Definitely now. When he signed that deal he was a promising young player with pretty good production. His albatross contract now is a different discussion.

Case is, Exum got his 33M deal while averaging about 6/2/2 on putrid shooting. And has regressed to become even worse so far this season. And he was highly touted, picked with a high lottery pick, and barring a miraculous turn-around, is definitely a bust at this point.

He could make one of the highest salaries ever for a player who has never amounted to anything, ever in his career. Brown/Darko levels of salary cost and disappointment.

But at least you do not get diarrhea from Applebee's burger.... Big mac though is a poison...

Exactly the same type poison some people on here think Exum is.
It kind of is. You paid to receive a meal and yet you stuck with bad feeling in the stomach and it even tasted like ****. Plus it gives you nasty farts next day.

er for a player who has never amounted to anything, ever in his career. Brown/Darko levels of salary cost and disappointment.

Here is how I break it down: When was the money spent? Where else could the money be spent?

For Parsons, his contract has crippled the Grizzlies' ability to build very well around Conley and Gasol.

As for Exum, we spent money on Exum AFTER we signed Favors. We had no cap room after we signed Favors so keeping Exum was almost a no brainer because it was keep Exum or hope to use our mid-level. Since we absolutely suck at getting good free agents to come here, we had to pull the trigger to bring him back. Bringing back Exum, though overpaid and maybe a bust, didn't really impact us financially this season. If you're like me and have close to no faith that our FO can sign a big fish this summer, it's not really going to hurt us next season either.

Exactly the same type poison some people on here think Exum is.

And I mean, if we’re being real and if you do the math, it’s really like if Exum were a $10 Big Mac, Parsons would be a $22 Applebee’s burger. Not as big of a price margin as you infer.

Here is how I break it down: When was the money spent? Where else could the money be spent?

For Parsons, his contract has crippled the Grizzlies' ability to build very well around Conley and Gasol.

As for Exum, we spent money on Exum AFTER we signed Favors. We had no cap room after we signed Favors so keeping Exum was almost a no brainer because it was keep Exum or hope to use our mid-level. Since we absolutely suck at getting good free agents to come here, we had to pull the trigger to bring him back. Bringing back Exum, though overpaid and maybe a bust, didn't really impact us financially this season. If you're like me and have close to no faith that our FO can sign a big fish this summer, it's not really going to hurt us next season either.

There were a few MLE type guys this summer I’d rather us of have tried for than Exum, for sure. Even if we didn’t sign anyone, for flexibility’s sake, I’d rather pay $0 for no production than pay $11M for no production. Even if we can’t sign people we can absorb contracts for assets and the like.

Dante haters? Nah, I don't hate Dante, I like Dante. Its just that I'd like him alot more at say...3.8 million per season.

I wonder if Exum has ever gotten laid. Seems like a virgin. And he’s definitely not a man. Dude is such a pansy.

I guess my point is, if he got laid on the reg, maybe his junk would drop and he’d start playing like a man on a mission rather than a confused little eunuch.

And I mean, if we’re being real and if you do the math, it’s really like if Exum were a $10 Big Mac, Parsons would be a $22 Applebee’s burger. Not as big of a price margin as you infer.

Parsons signed a $94 million deal when the salary cap was in the $85 million range. Exum signed a $30 million deal when the cap was $102. Pretty massive difference.

There were a few MLE type guys this summer I’d rather us of have tried for than Exum, for sure. Even if we didn’t sign anyone, for flexibility’s sake, I’d rather pay $0 for no production than pay $11M for no production. Even if we can’t sign people we can absorb contracts for assets and the like.

And even though we signed Exum, we still could have used the MLE. But, of course, we didn't do jack ****.

I would rather spend $0 than $11 if we are getting nothing, but $11 isn't that crippling compared to $26. And back to my original point, don't spend $11 if you aren't going to play it. And if you want to dump $11, play that $11 in the hopes that somebody wants to buy it. Nobody is going to buy $11 they don't get to see.