What's new

Dante Exum coming back this week

I am more concerned about it hurting us that excited to get him back. I can imagine that he is trying to get back so he is in play as a free agent. Wouldn't bother me if the sat out the whole year.
I'm more concerned about Alec getting those minutes personally.

highly unlikely mate, i reckon even if he's playing well he's not going to get enough time to really be eye popping for other teams. I think it's most likely he has some nice moments mixed with looking pretty rusty.

I agree it's unlikely he goes off, but it wouldn't shock me if he has a big game or two; especially if we make it to round two(or three) in the playoffs. Probably wouldn't push the needle much but you never know. Would love to keep him around at a great deal so we can bring in a big name FA.

Dante could come back, average 15ppg, take the Jazz to an even higher level, and be a catalyst for a deep playoff run and it still wouldn’t do a ton to impact his free agency.

Yeah, you might have 1 or 2 kooky teams with cap room that are looking to make a splash, but the book on Dante has already been written: A promising young combo guard prospect that already has missed 1 season to an ACL and basically missed another season due to a torn shoulder. Even if he goes off similar to the example I provided above, what team can take the chance of breaking the bank on Dante based on a 14 game sample size while at the same time basically ignoring the injury history? It’s simply not gonna happen. Dante will re-up with the Jazz under terms that we all see as agreeable.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Dante fan. I think the potential he showed this summer of being an extremely dynamic backcourt running mate with Mitchell is pretty much wet-dream worthy. I think highly enough of Dante, that should he be able to finally stay injury free, he’s going to be a big piece of this team moving forward. There’s just not a team from the outside looking in that can justify a Dante Exum bidding war at this point.

Dante could come back, average 15ppg, take the Jazz to an even higher level, and be a catalyst for a deep playoff run and it still wouldn’t do a ton to impact his free agency.

Yeah, you might have 1 or 2 kooky teams with cap room that are looking to make a splash, but the book on Dante has already been written: A promising young combo guard prospect that already has missed 1 season to an ACL and basically missed another season due to a torn shoulder. Even if he goes off similar to the example I provided above, what team can take the chance of breaking the bank on Dante based on a 14 game sample size while at the same time basically ignoring the injury history? It’s simply not gonna happen. Dante will re-up with the Jazz under terms that we all see as agreeable.

You might be right on the 14 regular season games BUT if he's doing it primetime in the playoffs I think their will be more than a couple kooky teams willing to go after a 22 yr old Exum to play for their team

It only takes 1 offer, so 1 or 2 kooky teams can jack his price up. It's going to be interesting for sure, but jazz will and should match just about anything

Sent from my SM-J727T using JazzFanz mobile app

Paying good players what they deserve. The horror.

Right we are worried a young guy we have put a bunch of time and effort is going to kill it (which would help us win games) because we will have to pay him more.

Kinda dumb no?

A worse scenario is he struggles to find a rythymn and the jazz determine they’ve lost hope and let him walk. Then he blows up on his new team.

It’s like when we were so worried we couldn’t pay all of our talented guys.

Right we are worried a young guy we have put a bunch of time and effort is going to kill it (which would help us win games) because we will have to pay him more.

Kinda dumb no?

A worse scenario is he struggles to find a rythymn and the jazz determine they’ve lost hope and let him walk. Then he blows up on his new team.

Not kinda dumb when we over-pay him to match and that keeps us from getting our third star. I don't see what's controversial about hoping he doesn't show too much.

He's made $16 million over the last four years, or approximately $100,000 per game played. At 20 min/game.
Andrew Wiggins is going to get 150 million for bludging his way thru the next 5 years. Tristan Thompson is collecting another 50 mil

Kinda dumb no?

Another bad scenario is that he plays really really well in a few games and shows just enough flashes/glimpses of greatness that one team gives him a huge offer based on his young age and potential, we match, and then he continues to only show flashes/glimpses of greatness but never really gets there consistently and we have to overpay him by a bunch for a number of years.
Kinda like Wiggins/tristan Thompson etc.

Another bad scenario is that he plays really really well in a few games and shows just enough flashes/glimpses of greatness that one team gives him a huge offer based on his young age and potential, we match, and then he continues to only show flashes/glimpses of greatness but never really gets there consistently and we have to overpay him by a bunch for a number of years.

Yeah that’d be bad mkay .. unlikely tho

The knock on Wiggins is that he doesn't put forth effort, especially on defense. I have never heard nor seen this from Exum. If he stays relatively healthy, he will earn his money on that side of the ball, regardless of his offense.

Turn in your fan card and follow another team.

Good point. Being concerned that giving someone minutes who has not been playing while we have been playing our best ball of the year is a bad thing. Very insightful.

Some people have an agenda, some want what is best for the Jazz.
What's best for the Jazz in the short term or long term? To me this season and any playoff run is a secondary issue. We aren't truly contenders and obviously need to add pieces to be truly competitive. It is much more valuable to get a better handle on Exum before having to sign him to a long term deal. Worrying about his fit, when we don't even have a backup PG and Donovan isn't really suited to play there seems kind of short-sighted.

The thing is, nobody has cap space. The most he'd get is the MLE and we'd obviously match that.
Simply not true. A lot of teams will have cap space or can open enough up by renouncing some of their own FA's or cap holds. The real question is how many of those need a PG or combo guard. Last years draft flooded the NBA with PG's, which helps because this summer will be the year of the bigs. Still, I think the floor for Exum is the MLE.

Also, its risky but guys like Exum coming off an injury or Hood, who has had a disappointing season for a number of reasons might be better off signing a 1 yr deal and re-entering the market in 2019.

What's best for the Jazz in the short term or long term? To me this season and any playoff run is a secondary issue. We aren't truly contenders and obviously need to add pieces to be truly competitive. It is much more valuable to get a better handle on Exum before having to sign him to a long term deal. Worrying about his fit, when we don't even have a backup PG and Donovan isn't really suited to play there seems kind of short-sighted.
I see this season and the playoff run as the primary issue. They are truly contenders, and amazingly they are in a financial position to upgrade next year. It blows my mind that they are even in a position to upgrade the backup point guard spot tonight. I wish I could be there to cheer.