What's new

Dante Exum Over Smart: Massive Failure

Well, this happens league wide in every league. Like I said a gm hates to admit a mistake. This isn’t just a Utah jazz issue. None the less we got one of the best bench scorers in the league for Exum.
Making a mistake is fine. It'd be better if gms recognize and pivot faster. Making a mistake and then letting it affect major parts of your roster construction for multiple years is the issue. Getting stopgaps like Hill and Rubio to make the team competitive but still planning on Exum being good carries a price. A TB level fail in the draft is fine because all we did was use exceptions to fill needs.. not draft picks and cap space.

Exum was a fail... but the biggest fail was all the planning and reinvesting that came with "holding" on to him.

Making a mistake is fine. It'd be better if gms recognize and pivot faster. Making a mistake and then letting it affect major parts of your roster construction for multiple years is the issue. Getting stopgaps like Hill and Rubio to make the team competitive but still planning on Exum being good carries a price. A TB level fail in the draft is fine because all we did was use exceptions to fill needs.. not draft picks and cap space.

Exum was a fail... but the biggest fail was all the planning and reinvesting that came with "holding" on to him.
I think we held on so long because of the injuries coupled with the fact a GM doesn’t want to admit mistakes.

I think we held on so long because of the injuries coupled with the fact a GM doesn’t want to admit mistakes.
Injuries complicate things for sure... GMs not wanting to admit their mistakes is not a valid reason to make additional mistakes. I understand it happens, but thats the equivalent of your kids telling you they did something wrong because everyone was doing it.

Goes back to the age old quote from all of our moms "If every GM jumped off a bridge would you re-sign Exum to an overprice contract?"

I would have tried to move him after you saw how far away he was. We would have gotten more than we got this year had we traded him after his first injury. He wasn’t going to be in the same timeline as Hayward and they kept banking on him being able to play and buying stopgap options with firsts... those costs are baked into keeping him around. We also could have had some cap space had we played hardball or waived his caphold. Failing fast is better than failing slow and reinvesting all along the way.

Also let’s chill out on him getting us JC. His contract matched and was palatable. We also have some second rounders... they would have done it for an expiring as well.

this is a solid pwning

I would have tried to move him after you saw how far away he was. We would have gotten more than we got this year had we traded him after his first injury. He wasn’t going to be in the same timeline as Hayward and they kept banking on him being able to play and buying stopgap options with firsts... those costs are baked into keeping him around. We also could have had some cap space had we played hardball or waived his caphold. Failing fast is better than failing slow and reinvesting all along the way.

Also let’s chill out on him getting us JC. His contract matched and was palatable. We also have some second rounders... they would have done it for an expiring as well.

if you were to look at DL’s track record of managing assets by looking solely at the PG position, you’d be forced to conclude that he’s barely able to string together coherent sentences.

Clarkson was another reason why 14 draft was a total disaster.

we could've just taken Clarkson with our 35th pick but we decided to sell it to Memphis for cash.

FO said at the time that they didn't want too many young projects on this team(speaking from a team in the middle of rebuild and just had a 25win season) but now just look at a fraternity of Niang, Bradley, JWF, Oni, Tucker, NWG, we know how it worked out for us.

Not to mention the players drafted at that range. Clarkson, Joe Harris, Dwight Powell, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Glen Robinson III, and the Joker. it feels like you can just arbitrarily handpick a guy right from the spot you will have close to 50% chance of getting a legit rotation player
It's hard to say you miss a player in second round pick because every team could do that,every year, with different guys who slip through the crack.. they must not have seen Lord Bull scouting reports

It's hard to say you miss a player in second round pick because every team could do that,every year, with different guys who slip through the crack.. they must not have seen Lord Bull scouting reports
Its fair if you decide to sell a pick and punt if there are 7-8 legit nba players selected in the next 15 picks. We aren't talking about one guy. We did it again too... They have a low probability of hitting but if you tout your development team and then sell the chance to feed that development team multiple times... you get to receive some criticism.

We were selling picks for cash considerations while operating at the salary floor.

Its fair if you decide to sell a pick and punt if there are 7-8 legit nba players selected in the next 15 picks. We aren't talking about one guy. We did it again too... They have a low probability of hitting but if you tout your development team and then sell the chance to feed that development team multiple times... you get to receive some criticism.

We were selling picks for cash considerations while operating at the salary floor.
Just like all of those times in my 20s when I was ‘doing totally fine... I just like selling all that plasma’.

Just like all of those times in my 20s when I was ‘doing totally fine... I just like selling all that plasma’.
There just wasn't anything else you could find that you liked.

But we got to reinvest that into the program. And now it can be used as a hedge against COVID. Or something.
Nah it would be... "and those funds were used to pay DM's... so anytime you can get a megastar in the second round that's a good thing"

It doesn't take much of a hindsight to see what a horrendous business it was when DL resign him to a 3 year fully guaranteed contract knowing his history of injury.

Dante came back in that 2017/18 season and played well. It was probably the second round of the playoffs against Houston that clinched the deal for him where he was efficient and played tough defense on Harden. It was the strongest Exum had ever looked and plenty of Jazz fans were feeling at least a little giddiness.

Agreed, but this is American pro sports way of doing things. It happens regularly in every sport. It’s just how business seems to work. If you don’t expect it you are ignorant to the truth.
I bet the Trailblazers wish they would’ve been more patient with Jermaine O’Neal. I think he was in Portland for 4+ years they got rid of him and he took off.

Agreed, but this is American pro sports way of doing things. It happens regularly in every sport. It’s just how business seems to work. If you don’t expect it you are ignorant to the truth.
there are plenty of teams that quickly make decisions on guys.

I bet the Trailblazers wish they would’ve been more patient with Jermaine O’Neal. I think he was in Portland for 4+ years they got rid of him and he took off.
He couldn't get playing time because they were stacked. When he did he was good. Exum got plenty of opportunity and sucked... the injuries were a big issue obvi.