What's new

Dante Exum to the Rockets

It's going to be weird seeing Harden and Durant together again. And I was surprised to see that the team has some depth - more than I expected a team with three all-stars would have. If they're smart they'll leave a roster spot or two open so they can pick up some waivers near the deadline.

I would too. As our window is now, and the difference in our future assets going from "kinda really bad" to "really bad" isn't really that much different, I'd say you're getting a lot more return for the cost. If you can get someone like Nance, it affords you being a legitimate contender and at least having a defensive option on guys that will stand in your way.
I like Nance but I'm not sure of what deal gets you there. Ideally it'd be Favors plus a pick. They probably want Royce and a pick (if they are willing to talk at all... I think they think they are good enough to go to the playoffs). If you told me Bojan's shot definitely comes around then it makes it all easier.

IDK... can't they just give him to us for free? I think he's a great fit but to maximize him I'd want him as the PF with the starters and a center with the second unit.

It's going to be weird seeing Harden and Durant together again. And I was surprised to see that the team has some depth - more than I expected a team with three all-stars would have. If they're smart they'll leave a roster spot or two open so they can pick up some waivers near the deadline.
The thing about Harden is he does show up and ball... he's had some playoff failures but they can run through KD in the big moments. Kyrie is the one I worry about. If he gets testy or decides he's quitting basketball then what.

With Nance I think they keep him... I think the future and current lineup of Sexland in the backcourt and a frountcourt of Okoro, Nance, Allen is a solid enough foundation. Still need to add some talent obvi. I think the trade makes Drummond and Love more available but I ain't interested in those guys.

The thing about Harden is he does show up and ball... he's had some playoff failures but they can run through KD in the big moments. Kyrie is the one I worry about. If he gets testy or decides he's quitting basketball then what.
I think they will be a better team if Kyrie were to walk. If Harden is the worst defender on the court in the 4th quarter, but you have both KD and Harden to guard on the other end, that's really tough to match up with.

Harden
Luwawu-Cabarrot/Dinwiddie
Harris
KD
Jordan

If you have Kyrie and Jordan on the court, I think Brooklyn gets exposed defensively. And how do they share the ball?

I think they will be a better team if Kyrie were to walk. If Harden is the worst defender on the court in the 4th quarter, but you have both KD and Harden to guard on the other end, that's really tough to match up with.
Really? You are on one today... they will be better without an all-star guard who was ripping it up this season prior to needing a break? Wouldn't be like they could all of a sudden use his cap space to improve. They got rid of some depth and need bodies but they'd be better without a top-30 guy?

Harden
Luwawu-Cabarrot/Dinwiddie
Harris
KD
Jordan

If you have Kyrie and Jordan on the court, I think Brooklyn gets exposed defensively. And how do they share the ball?
You know Dinwiddie is done for the year right?

Remember Nets assistant Mike D'Antoni wanted nothing to do with Harden and told the GM and Nash. He knows the baggage the Beard brings.

I like Nance but I'm not sure of what deal gets you there. Ideally it'd be Favors plus a pick. They probably want Royce and a pick (if they are willing to talk at all... I think they think they are good enough to go to the playoffs). If you told me Bojan's shot definitely comes around then it makes it all easier.

IDK... can't they just give him to us for free? I think he's a great fit but to maximize him I'd want him as the PF with the starters and a center with the second unit.
I’d send Royce. He can get all of Royce’s 32 minutes. That would also force our hand in playing a different perimeter defender.

Really? You are on one today... they will be better without an all-star guard who was ripping it up this season prior to needing a break? Wouldn't be like they could all of a sudden use his cap space to improve. They got rid of some depth and need bodies but they'd be better without a top-30 guy?
I think that Kyrie will help get that team a better regular season record and spot in the playoffs. However, I think he hurts a playoff team.

Just look at Boston. Without him, that team competed to the end in the Eastern Conference Finals. The next year, fully healthy if I remember correctly, Boston underachieved massively. He hurt them.

I think Kyrie would get in the way of Harden and KD. I really do.

Top 30 player. Top 3 head case.

No way this works long term.

The only question is you move Kyrie sooner for 50 cents on the dollar or do you wait for him to flake out, which he will, and then trade him with your hands tied for .20 on the dollar.

My read is The Nets will do everything they can to make it work this year - but I'll be quite shocked if Kyrie's still on the team by next season's trade deadline.

And if they don't win a title this year? Ayeeee dios mio.....

Also, as another byproduct to this deal, get ready for the mother of all lock-outs when the current CBA expires. The optics where EVERY year at least one superstar player decides he just doesn't feel like living up to the contract he willfully signed for hundreds of millions of dollars is beyond awful.

Not a sustainable model for a serious sports league.

I think that Kyrie will help get that team a better regular season record and spot in the playoffs. However, I think he hurts a playoff team.

Just look at Boston. Without him, that team competed to the end in the Eastern Conference Finals. The next year, fully healthy if I remember correctly, Boston underachieved massively. He hurt them.

I think Kyrie would get in the way of Harden and KD. I really do.
All three dudes can shoot so they all have offball value and if you commit your best perimeter defender to Harden then Kyrie can eat... the opposite is true. Kyrie did a fine job guarding Steph in the finals... he's a capable defender.

They are better with Kyrie than they are with TLC. I get there is some diminishing returns but Kyrie has had more playoff success than failure. Harden has had a history of not showing up in the playoffs.

Top 30 player. Top 3 head case.

No way this works long term.

The only question is you move Kyrie sooner for 50 cents on the dollar or do you wait for him to flake out, which he will, and then trade him with your hands tied for .20 on the dollar.

My read is The Nets will do everything they can to make it work this year - but I'll be quite shocked if Kyrie's still on the team by next season's trade deadline.

And if they don't win a title this year? Ayeeee mios dios.....

Also, as another byproduct to this deal, get ready for the mother of all lock-outs when the current CBA expires. The optics where EVERY year at least one superstar player decides he just doesn't feel like living up to the contract he willfully signed for hundreds of millions of dollars is beyond awful.

Not a sustainable model for a serious sports league.
I agree he is a headcase. The argument is whether they'd be better if he just walked away... they would not. If they traded him for .50 on the dollar for better fitting role players then they might be better off... but if its Kyrie walks for nothing... they'd be ****ed.

All three dudes can shoot so they all have offball value and if you commit your best perimeter defender to Harden then Kyrie can eat... the opposite is true. Kyrie did a fine job guarding Steph in the finals... he's a capable defender.

They are better with Kyrie than they are with TLC. I get there is some diminishing returns but Kyrie has had more playoff success than failure. Harden has had a history of not showing up in the playoffs.
They are better with Kyrie than without. However, I don't think it's by much. I think Kyrie, more importantly his contract, is more negative than positive.

Your shooting point isn't valid though. Harden and Kyrie are not off ball shooters. They succeed with the ball in their hands. I don't think they would be fine just sitting there Klay Thompson style waiting for the ball to get to them to shoot. I don't think Harden or Kyrie will be excited about spotting up and making the occasional back door cut. It's just not in their DNA.

Steph, Draymond and Klay were all willing passers which made life easy for KD. I just don't think this will work.

There's reports Harden clashed with teammates in Houston and we know Kyrie had some issues getting along with teammates as well. I think Durant is a wimp and the clashes he's had with teammates were mostly with a-holes like Perkins, Draymond and Westbrook. I think Durant can get along with Harden just fine and I agree with you - the test will be Kyrie and Harden and how they get along.

If I had to watch an EC team it would be the Nets - Harris, Green and TLC have a chance to pop wide open threes on this team.