What's new

Dear Fat People

There is pretty conclusive evidence that beer was made millennia before bread.

So imagine this:

You're a nomadic human in a band of a dozen or two other people. You roam around killing the occasional animal, collecting the occasional fruit or vegetable. Things aren't bad, per se, your group has its **** together, knows where to be at what time of year, has a few spots prepped for next season, all that super advanced stuff. You guys are doing it right.

Then, one year, you collect some grain from your normal spot. You put it in some of the fanciest pots your tribe has. You hit your local cave and set up camp. Clouds collect and you all figure it's gonna rain. You put the pots put to collect some water and to soften your grain. Before the weather breaks another band comes along and pushes you out of one of your favorite caves. You move on. Before the end of the warm season you come back. You know where you stashed the grain and you come looking for it. There it is, only it tastes a bit off. You're all pretty damn hungry so you put it in a pot and boil it for a second. As the hot porridge goes around it's pretty clear the mood is lightening. Laughter, happiness, connection. As you all gorge yourselves on the porridge you start feeling a bit different.

Next year you set the pots of grain out on purpose and leave them for the summer. In the fall you return for the porridge party.

Next year you do it again, it's starting to get to be a thing.

Fast forward 100 years. There have been a few who have devoted themselves to making this special porridge. They can make it as long as they have grain and a fire.

Fast forward a couple more years, everyone decides they want special porridge all year long. They establish a permanent settlement and start growing grain.

Fast forward...modern civilization.

That definitely happened somewhere along the way. Thinking on the fly, my main thought is why were these nomads eating inedible grains in the first place? Did some cave lady declare her human right to be an animal and happen upon some hybrid weed that somehow contained enough nutrients to sustain her?

At some point they figured out how to breed crops for yield. I could see a drunk cave dude putting his best interest at heart to keep the buzz going.

https://www.montignac.com/en/the-history-of-man-s-eating-habits/

I was getting at some of the advances in modern farming and processing that brought processed foods very cheaply to the masses and reduced our general variety. White flour is now the staples, whereas whole grains were the staple just 150 years ago. Also processed sugar. Meats have actually been a decreasing part of our diets. Cheap white flour and cheap sugar drastically raised the percentage of said in our diet, thereby reducing drastically the variety that was inherent at other times in the past. The above is a pretty good summary of the progression of our diet, I thought. Worth a quick read.

The second phenomenon is the invention of the cylinder mill in 1870 which makes white flour available to one and all at reasonable prices. Since the time of the Egyptians, man has not ceased to seek the means to refine (sift) wheat varieties in order to produce white flour. At the time, wheat was coarsely sifted, the milling was simply passed through a strainer. This basically served to remove part of the bran which covered the wheat grains. Our ancestors’ whole bread was then no other than what is known today as hovis brown bread, in other words, semi-whole grain bread.
This sifting operation was long and costly, (done manually) making this bread a luxury available only to the privileged few who could afford it.

The invention of the cylinder mill at the end of the 19th century and its widespread use at the beginning of the 20th century radically changed the nature of flour. Its nutritional content was dramatically reduced to the point of becoming nothing more than starch. Precious proteins, fibers, essential fatty acids and other vitamin Bs were almost totally eliminated in the process.

The fact that flour suddenly began to be disregarded at a nutritional level, did not really constitute a mayor health problem for the richer sectors since they could compensate with an otherwise varied and balanced diet. For the underprivileged classes, however, for whom flour remained the basis of their diet, eating flour which had suddenly been deprived of all nutritional value could only tend to aggravate a diet which was already sorely lacking and unbalanced.

(and yeah it is skewed to favor their program, but mostly it is still a valid summary of the progression of processed foods)

Great read, Viny, up to and after this part:

"Your body knows how to do this all on its own just like it knows how to make your heart beat like it's supposed to -- you just have to quit sabotaging the metabolic mechanisms that have been with man for a couple hundred thousand years (and which we've only been trashing for the last 50 or so.)"

Which is nothing short of utter nonsense. Hunter-gatherers showed that the human body can exist healthily on a wide range of diets, some very extreme. Humanity has been subsisting largely on grains for the last 12,000 or so years. Most mid-evil diets were highly grain-based.

Franky, isn't comparing the foods during the times of the H-G'ers to today's food kind of like comparing apples to tire irons. I think if we took some of our food via a time machine back to those days one could argue that our sustenance would be wholly anachronistic...no? I'm have the understanding that most if not all the corn grown in the midwest is unedible off the stalk and that it needs to be "processed" in order to be eaten. Lady Moe, you know anything about this corn situation?

I think this guy is onto something.

Great post, Log. I think the important things are not only that your diet is balanced but that satiation is achieved and that an insulin reaction is avoided. In respect to losing and maintaining weight, diet is 80% of the battle.

i dont care what fat people do but i have to pay via helalthcare for their lil fatmobile.

do i make them pay for my dream of saving up for a batmobile no. yet my premium goes up every year cus more fat people need a fatmobile

so get the fat people and their fatmobile out of my face.

facebook_-2146256845wm.jpg

Batman-Tumbler-Golf-Cart-image-1.jpg

depends
if the fat person was born with a skinny person soul he is transweight person . and then you should respect the weight he identifies with and leave it at that or you are just an obesophobe

Now THAT was pretty good.

247601_o.gif

Fat-shaming irks me. And I say this as a complete lank of a human being (6'4", 165).

so you are a skinny person who identifies with being fat?
i can respect that!!!!!!!!!!!
everyone has the right to identify with anything

Look at me I am short chinese jewish black navajo woman!!

https://www.people.com/article/rachel-taylor-old-navy-tank-top-facebook-post

This article showed up on my FB feed.

Now to me, I find this ridiculous. This teenage girl and her mom joke about a huge shirt that this lady isn't even looking at, and she starts crying and calls it fat shaming? They weren't even talking about her! People are just too damn sensitive.

I mean, I understand that for some people it's genetics, and they are trying. But it seems like most fat people don't want to change. I don't get it.

And no, she shouldn't be mocked, but she shouldn't be proud of her body either.

https://www.people.com/article/rachel-taylor-old-navy-tank-top-facebook-post

This article showed up on my FB feed.

Now to me, I find this ridiculous. This teenage girl and her mom joke about a huge shirt that this lady isn't even looking at, and she starts crying and calls it fat shaming? They weren't even talking about her! People are just too damn sensitive.

I mean, I understand that for some people it's genetics, and they are trying. But it seems like most fat people don't want to change. I don't get it.

And no, she shouldn't be mocked, but she shouldn't be proud of her body either.

I am proud of my body. Do you have any idea the dollar value of the Chili Cheese Fritos and Coca-cola I have invested in this thing? I could have powered a small country for a year. BOOO YA!!

Last edited:
I am proud of my body. Do you have any idea the dollar value of the Chili Cheese Fritos and Coka-cola I have invested in this thing? I could have powered a small country for a year. BOOO YA!!

As long as you're huggable, bro, that's all that matters.