What's new

Did we dodge some bullets?

Like others have said it's just SL, but I watched the first 10 minutes of the game and his shooting did look horrid. Bricked about a 8' to the left and hard off the glass, shot an air ball from three point range, and missed a free throw off the glass and to the left. Although he didn't shoot the ball well and turned the ball over too much, he played some awesome defense. Orlando better hope he improves his outside shot or they basically got an undersized power forward. Just the first game of summer league and he has plenty of time to work on that shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What was wrong with Olynyk's rookie year? Yeah, he didn't translate exactly from his higher level play in summer league, but if your impression from the summer league was that he is going to play a lot of years in the NBA, and that Boston made a good pick, that's still true today. He played really well in the last month of the year when they started giving him consistent minutes.

Kelly Olynyk played exactly how a lottery pick his age shoulda played for a big man. No better , no worse. There were people that thought he was the best steal in the entire draft after that amazing summer league performance he had (including 27.6% of GM's).

Think about the anxiety these young guns are dealing with. First times stepping on the floor. A dream come true.

I'm sure once they clear their heads they will be able to show their abilities at a much higher level.

Kelly Olynyk played exactly how a lottery pick his age shoulda played for a big man. No better , no worse. There were people that thought he was the best steal in the entire draft after that amazing summer league performance he had (including 27.6% of GM's).

Fair enough. BTW, I think there is a ton of correlation to playing well in the summer league and it being an indicator of whether you can play in the NBA or not. If you look up the stats of summer leagues from past years, most of the guys that are still in the NBA were in the upper percentiles. In a lot of categories. There are only a few players that squeaked in outside of those groupings and they are...role players. The only thing you can't really do is say...this guy averaged 20....so he's going to score 20 in the NBA. But if you look at all the guys that score under 10 or so....there are like 3 guys per year(out of 200 + that don't score 10 pts/g) that still make it and they are Deandre Jordon, Lous Amundson, or Josh McRoberts types.....players that rebound, block shots, and hustle.

We have officially reached the point in the thread where new posters don't bother to read any of the other posts and just spew their own non-new crap.

"Why doesn't anyone consider this is just summer league, jeez after 3 pages which I didn't bother to read I have no idea why no one said that it is just summer league. Idiots."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZVhONMMFtY&sns=em

Try again.

The shot was cringe worthy, the block is gasp worthy.

In truth it wasn't a block, he jumps up and catches the ball. I'd be lying if I said I was glad Orlando took him.

Dodge Bullets? Yes, I believe Gordon could dodge bullets...Like Neo on the Matrix.

im so glad we arent playing in that crappy orlando league this year

Fair enough. BTW, I think there is a ton of correlation to playing well in the summer league and it being an indicator of whether you can play in the NBA or not. If you look up the stats of summer leagues from past years, most of the guys that are still in the NBA were in the upper percentiles. In a lot of categories. There are only a few players that squeaked in outside of those groupings and they are...role players. The only thing you can't really do is say...this guy averaged 20....so he's going to score 20 in the NBA. But if you look at all the guys that score under 10 or so....there are like 3 guys per year(out of 200 + that don't score 10 pts/g) that still make it and they are Deandre Jordon, Lous Amundson, or Josh McRoberts types.....players that rebound, block shots, and hustle.

I would agree with this. It seems guys rarely suck in summer league and then go on to play well that very next season in the NBA. I think more often, you'll see guys play well in SL and then not turn into good NBA players (sometimes due to lack of opportunity), but it's much more rare to see a guy just suck balls in SL then play well in the season directly following. For one thing, it just doesn't make much sense that a guy would suck against lesser players and then be good against better players in the space of just a few months.

Obviously, SL isn't completely meaningless or teams wouldn't take the time and money to play in them.

Breaking News: After a poor showing during his first summer league game, Aaron Gordon has been cut by the Orlando Magic. In a statement the Orlando Magic said: "It was clear after one summer league game that Gordon was never going to be good, ever ever. He's an official bust. We should have picked Exum."

Aaron Gordon said in an interview, "They should have picked Exum."

Breaking News: After a poor showing during his first summer league game, Aaron Gordon has been cut by the Orlando Magic. In a statement the Orlando Magic said: "It was clear after one summer league game that Gordon was never going to be good, ever ever. He's an official bust. We should have picked Exum."

Aaron Gordon said in an interview, "They should have picked Exum."
Love it

*sigh* here it goes again, just like last year.

Same as it ever was.

This electronic post has been constructed, arranged and transmitted via an Apple branded communication device using the Tapatalk application.

I would agree with this. It seems guys rarely suck in summer league and then go on to play well that very next season in the NBA. I think more often, you'll see guys play well in SL and then not turn into good NBA players (sometimes due to lack of opportunity), but it's much more rare to see a guy just suck balls in SL then play well in the season directly following. For one thing, it just doesn't make much sense that a guy would suck against lesser players and then be good against better players in the space of just a few months.

Obviously, SL isn't completely meaningless or teams wouldn't take the time and money to play in them.

Tim Duncan, Deron Williams, MCW all sucked in summer league just off the top of my head. Burke was much better in the NBA than summer league. I think it is possible to do poorly in summer league and better in the NBA because summer league only loosely resembles actual basketball. But it is what we got, and I'm watching.

Tim Duncan, Deron Williams, MCW all sucked in summer league just off the top of my head. Burke was much better in the NBA than summer league. I think it is possible to do poorly in summer league and better in the NBA because summer league only loosely resembles actual basketball. But it is what we got, and I'm watching.

MCW went 13.6/4.2 reb/6.8 asists/2 steal. Shot horribly though - 27%. But still, that's good production.

And google says Duncan went 14/9 or something on 55% FG, with one game that I couldn't find info for. His summer league seems to be mislabled as being a complete disaster because he had problems with Ostertag and that's funny to think about about 17 years later because of how their careers went. But Ostertag was coming off of what would turn out to be his best season in the NBA, blocking a couple shots a game already in 20 mins, and was a massive human being that Duncan probably didn't see much of in college.

Why are there threads like this? They played 1 game in SL Exum hasn't even played. Don't get me wrong i'm extremely happy we got Exum but it's a little early saying we dodged a bullet when we don't exactly know what we have yet

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Some things translate to summer league for rookies, like if they can play ballhawk defense, hold their position in the post, block shots, hit open shots, etc. It's hard for PGs trying to run new plays with no-name players and adjust to the speed of the game. Aaron Gordon can't shoot right now, even when he's open, but he plays solid defense on the ball and help defense. He also passes well out of the post. That's about all I could take away. Marcus Smart can disrupt plays with his defense, but he hasn't figured out how he's going to score yet. Yada yada.