What's new

DL out… kinda?

Sounds like Battier is the front runner to get hired over someone like Ainge according to Windhorst.

Like, how many years did Utah waste with Favors at the 4 instead of trying to aggressively move on? That's probably the most damning thing about DL's tenure. Everything else is kind of just a mistake that makes sense. Sometimes you evaluate prospects wrong. No one is perfect and he nailed a ton of them. But to stick with two center lineups for so long is another thing.
I wouldn't even say one specific move is his "black mark". I would say its being a year or two behind the trends and not making changes quickly enough. Too much letting it bake. Favs at the 4 is a grand example.

It's hilarious to me that Exum is brought up the most as DL's black mark when it's not even close. It's Kanter/Burks/Burke/The dedication to Favors.

Not sure Exum is even in the top 10 of his bad moves. It was the most logical decision at teh time and one most GM's would have made. He salvaged it as well as any GM could.
It was KOC who drafted Kanter and Burks, not DL.

DL definitely expected more Favors/Gobert lineups. When Favors was signed they said he was going to be playing 20-24 minutes.
Gotta say Quin’s right about this one. We've seen clear evidence from Favs game that his body is no longer suited for more than 20min of actions and will need a rest once every 4 or 5 days or so.

Like I bet a part of DL really wanted more Favors/Gobert lineups this year and Quin refused.
It's the only way that contract makes sense- unless DL is doing charity contracts for an old chum which could be a valid argument too. Either way it is ****** management.

I wouldn't even say one specific move is his "black mark". I would say its being a year or two behind the trends and not making changes quickly enough. Too much letting it bake. Favs at the 4 is a grand example.
And taking the team from being one that was getting down toward the dregs of the league to the best regular-season record is his positive legacy. It's fine to point toward shortcomings as long as we remember this.

And taking the team from being one that was getting down toward the dregs of the league to the best regular-season record is his positive legacy. It's fine to point toward shortcomings as long as we remember this.
I agree. I think he’s an infrastructure guy. Built out the program and did so well. Kinda like the coach who is great with young players and development... but struggle when they get to the highest levels or to manage superstar personalities. Just like coaches are good at certain roles I think GMs might be the same. His finish work was sloppy imo.