What's new

DM on AD

Didnt read all the pages.

I laugh at the players who can't figure out why fans boo players that leave and I laugh at them for not understanding that having 30 energized and competing fan bases and front offices is better for all the players. They take for granted the fans will keep coming back. The NBAPU was even so foolish to think fewer NBA teams would be better. Lebron thinks that is. Imo the trouble with the NBA starts and ends with the agents/players who control the NBAPU who are only looking out for the top 5% of players.
At what point do 25 fan bases have no reason to engage with the NBA? It’s hard to be invested in a player/league that’s not invested in you as a customer and fan.

It doesn’t matter if I’m one of the 10 best people. The NBA and team owners are the employer. My employer sets my rules, I don’t set there’s.

I have trouble with any position that treats the owners as the authority figure. The players make the NBA. If the owner all switched franchises, very few fans would notice or care.

The NBA has a player's agreement because the players have power, as well as the owners.

Now that i read a few posts...

I can see a scenario where 6-10 teams leave the NBA or Lebron Chris Paul and .Rich Paul start their own super league for the best players. Shorter schedule, more pay per view games, take on a global tour. All star or Olympic like exhibition.

But nba won't stop existing . just pushed down to second level like the European leagues are now. It wont hurt my jazz fandhood one bit.

He willingly signed the contract to play for the Pelicans for a given amount of time and PUBLICLY demanded a trade to a given destination long before that contract was set to expire. It’s bad business in my opinion. Again my original message to start this was more in regards to DM comparing it to a normal job, it simply is not and it’s a ****** comparison.

The team can trade the contract they agreed to pay him. He can request to be traded. What are you on about with your lopsided support for management?

Um, you’re the one who continues to say you didn’t say things you did. You did in fact say that all 30 teams are on equal footing. That’s exactly what you said.
1/30 vote. Understand context.

Anyone who thinks the Jazz won’t be part of the NBA in 10 years is fear mongering and not worth engaging in conversation.

We could have gotten a first and a prospect if we took back horrendous salary. Remember, Haywood's only really good year was his last year with us. The previous year he was 19.7, 5, and 3.7 shooting 45%,/36%/82%. There are other places you can get that production without giving a first and a good prospect.

Dumb post.

He willingly signed the contract to play for the Pelicans for a given amount of time and PUBLICLY demanded a trade to a given destination long before that contract was set to expire. It’s bad business in my opinion.

Did the Pelicans live up to the assurances they made when they signed the contract with Davis, or did they fall short? If you don't know, then for all you know Davis was completely justified in his demand.

Did the Pelicans live up to the assurances they made when they signed the contract with Davis, or did they fall short? If you don't know, then for all you know Davis was completely justified in his demand.
What were the assurances?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The team can trade the contract they agreed to pay him. He can request to be traded. What are you on about with your lopsided support for management?
Actually he can’t publicly request a trade which is why he was fined, and yes when you CHOOSE to sign your contract that trade part is in there and oh agree to it by CHOOSING to sign the contract.

Were those assurances in the form of a signed contract? What’s in writing and has a signed name to it is what is relevant or matters.

Now that i read a few posts...

I can see a scenario where 6-10 teams leave the NBA or Lebron Chris Paul and .Rich Paul start their own super league for the best players. Shorter schedule, more pay per view games, take on a global tour. All star or Olympic like exhibition.

But nba won't stop existing . just pushed down to second level like the European leagues are now. It wont hurt my jazz fandhood one bit.
This could happen. If you don’t like what the NBA brings to the table, or the contract requirements they have, start your own league/business, but the NBA is the NBA and it isn’t owned by the players, they are employees of the league.

Nba players want guaranteed contracts... when they get hurt they still get paid. If you sign a deal you should play it out. If you come to a crossroads both team and player should work it out.

Rich Paul worked with the Lakers yo attempt to strong arm a franchise into making a deal that may or may not be in their best interest. AD went along... it wasn’t right but it’s not deplorable.

I kinda laugh when people talk and compare it to real life workers... there’s contracts involved and a bujillion dollars... so it’s different.

The nba does need to protect smaller markets a bit. In a salary cap sport you can’t have the 3-4 markets drain the talent from the other franchise feeder systems.

I’m not sure what you do. If they removed Max salaries it might help but would turn into stars making even more and middling players less.

Some sort of franchise tag system that requires teams to get draft comp if you sign their guys would be good... restricted FA kinda already works that way.

There are problems on the horizon. Sports, as a whole, are going to shrink in importance as the United States becomes less culturally unified. There will be a point where a large section of people would prefer to watch people play Fortnite than watch a basketball game. I think we have reached the absolute high point on what these television contracts are going to pay, especially if the focus and talent gravitates to three or four teams. The NBA and NFL are likely in a bubble.

You see articles where people think that revenue growth will continue on a exponential curve. It will not. It can not. I think that the NBA figures that making the league about personalities rather than teams will help forestall that inevitability. That there will always be a Michael Jordan who will transcend basketball. They will even change or overlook the rules to make sure that happens (James Harden. . .cough, cough. . .) or do things like put Klay in over Gobert into the all-star game. Ultimately what you start to do is alienate the people that live and breathe basketball chasing new, less-informed bandwagon fans. You are assuming that the true fan base will always be OK with that, you will be wrong. Orlando basketball fans, who were always pretty good, will stop coming and stop bringing their kids, and you will only get a full arena when Lebron James plays. Nobody is going to pay to televise those games either. That is what happens when you have one Harlem Globetrotters and 29 Washington Generals.

The biggest canary in the coal mine here is the public becoming resistant to building new stadium for these teams. If I owned a professional team and wasn't really, really invested in that team, I'd sell right now at what could very well be peak valuation. It looks like plenty of owners are doing that.

This could happen. If you don’t like what the NBA brings to the table, or the contract requirements they have, start your own league/business, but the NBA is the NBA and it isn’t owned by the players, they are employees of the league.

The barriers to entry would be enormous. Nba teams would still have the arena and tv deals and other infrastructure that make it work. Someone would have to invest a **** ton of money and then convince enough dudes that walking away from their guaranteed contracts and millions is worth it to “take control”. You can take control but you may end up with 100% of nothing.

People come to see the players for sure... but the nba infrastructure and capital and everything they’ve built allows that transaction to be really profitable.

There are problems on the horizon. Sports, as a whole, are going to shrink in importance as the United States becomes less culturally unified. There will be a point where a large section of people would prefer to watch people play Fortnite than watch a basketball game. I think we have reached the absolute high point on what these television contracts are going to pay, especially if the focus and talent gravitates to three or four teams. The NBA and NFL are likely in a bubble.

You see articles where people think that revenue growth will continue on a exponential curve. It will not. It can not. I think that the NBA figures that making the league about personalities rather than teams will help forestall that inevitability. That there will always be a Michael Jordan who will transcend basketball. They will even change or overlook the rules to make sure that happens (James Harden. . .cough, cough. . .) or do things like put Klay in over Gobert into the all-star game. Ultimately what you start to do is alienate the people that live and breathe basketball chasing new, less-informed bandwagon fans. You are assuming that the true fan base will always be OK with that, you will be wrong. Orlando basketball fans, who were always pretty good, will stop coming and stop bringing their kids, and you will only get a full arena when Lebron James plays. Nobody is going to pay to televise those games either. That is what happens when you have one Harlem Globetrotters and 29 Washington Generals.

The biggest canary in the coal mine here is the public becoming resistant to building new stadium for these teams. If I owned a professional team and wasn't really, really invested in that team, I'd sell right now at what could very well be peak valuation. It looks like plenty of owners are doing that.

There is some truth here... I think the ad and tv dollars shrink unless the gambling and fantasy side grows... which it could. I think it will dip potentially but be more of a flat line than a bubble bursting.

Dumb post.

Except, that is exactly the way it played out. I don't think people were knocking us over with offers for Haywood. They figured they would get him in free agency or get someone else. It wasn't worth losing assets over for that extra year.

Exactly how we felt about Niko, I assume.