What's new

Do you still want to see Big Al shipped?

Keep Big Al or not?

• Yes, I would like to retain him, paying him his current salary

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Yes, but for less money

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • Foye is fools gold!

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Wow, I don't know how you could get much more wrong.

Miami was fronting Al all game. What happened in the 4th was we stopped using Hi-Lo to beat it. Why, I don't know, guys probably were just reverting under pressure. But Al was definitely being physical with LBJ, getting plenty of space from the rim for a lob or entry from the top of the key. Saying Al was responsible for not getting the ball due to being passive is beyond ridiculous. Perhaps you should watch it again.

Also, these nominal improvements represent steps toward a much more complete game. We have definitely seen, this year, flashes of very good defensive rotations from Al. It's a big deal to see he can do it, and he will get more and more consistent as he works at it. Same goes with his passing, 2 years ago he didn't see any need to do anything but try to score once the ball was in his hands. Last year he started passing out of doubles and finding open shooters from time to time, this year we are seeing that sweet hook pass into the lane, a lot more interior passing between all the bigs and Al is passing directly out of his shooting motion with accuracy to outside shooters.

It's really odd I feel like the only person who was wowed with Al opening himself up to that high pass against the fronting defender, and shielding the incoming ball. Last year Corbin specifically talked about this and implied Al didn't even get what he was talking about. If Al can do this he can also open himself up rolling to the basket after a screen. These plays result in fouls called a lot more often than his typical shake n bake push shots. Also if he can get this going a lot more of the court will be useful to him. Do you see how this stuff sort of all comes together?

Nerd, you and others do a wonderful job of supporting your statements with statistics and I don't want to discredit that too much, but in a way this stuff is a bit of a smokescreen in that there seems to be an implication that the player is a finished product. Maybe to you he is, or you want him to be since his best attribute alone is not good enough to build a team around. But it isn't so. These additions to his game do matter and do help make the team better, and the things he added in the past continue to improve. Altogether it represents a commitment to hard work that Al gets not only no credit for, but actually is accused of the opposite.

Obviously I don't expect to change anybody's mind around here, so clearly I'm a little crazy to keep chewing on this argument. But I'm excited to see what happens next with him. IMO he is going to be really, really good coming on down the stretch this year, we are going to start seeing strings of games where he is averaging over 3 assists and 5 FTs.

When that happens the FO is going to have to think really hard before committing to moving on without him.

I've come to the conclusion nerd only watches a handful of games and basically tracks the stats. He never has anything to say about the individual games, or plays that stuck out to him, or anything at all remotely related to the execution of team offense or defense. He probably doesn't even have league pass. He's just box score analyzing everything. So I wouldn't put much stock in it.

I don't believe any of that will happen. Al's better, Ty's better, Derrick is way better and Enes is getting good too. The other support players are far superior to Raja, Harris, CJ and Howard. Telling me this team can't perform any better than last year is a tough sell bud.

how do you explains kanter's incredible 8 minutes a vs miami then
kanter could not get off the bench in the 2nd qtr

corbin isnt better!
i bet you my left nut if the playoff started today jeffersuck would get 40 minutes a game(unless all games are 40 point blowouts ofcourse)

I've come to the conclusion nerd only watches a handful of games and basically tracks the stats. He never has anything to say about the individual games, or plays that stuck out to him, or anything at all remotely related to the execution of team offense or defense. He probably doesn't even have league pass. He's just box score analyzing everything. So I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Yes there is a slight chance nerd has a John Hollinger poster on his wall, or a synergy iron-on on his t-shirt, but he makes some solid arguments.

I didn't pay any attention to Al before '10 which happens to be the same year I was able to start watching a lot of Jazz games.

What I posted was what I saw happening. I remember I think Locke or Harp discussing how they didn't know Al could reliably score outside 5 feet early on.
Just wait until the next few road games... you'll be cast into reality again.

Crazy how you fans really believe everything is better, just because we beat Miami. At home.

2010-shows mid range J
2011-learns to share ball
2012-showing ability to play team D, opening up to Hi-Lo entry pass.

Al's improvement is not a myth.

Unfortunately there are two sides to every story

2010: Starts shooting the midrange J too much and gets away from the reason he is in the league
2011: Sharing the ball twice a game is not improvement
2012: From where Jefferson was, anything is an improvement. Similar to his sharing the ball, he shows an improved defensive game a few times a game. He still act like he is gods gift to he Jazz and allows layup after layup instead of fouling people.

Improvements, yes. Total package at 15 million a year? Not even close.

what i found extremely entertaining is big al even allows layup when there is no chance he could get a foul.
since a foul was called on a drive by lebron to the basket.
yet lebron goes for continuation.
and al; just stands there and let lebron get the continuation.

give me kanter anytime of the day

what i found extremely entertaining is big al even allows layup when there is no chance he could get a foul.
since a foul was called on a drive by lebron to the basket.
yet lebron goes for continuation.
and al; just stands there and let lebron get the continuation.

give me kanter anytime of the day

So true. Jefferson might lead the league in giving up and1's.

Totally. Aren't facts just the worst?

Totally. Aren't facts just the worst?

This strikes me as a rather asinine post, Mr. Numberica.

Why do you not acknowledge how BIG Al has been??

Cant wait to see you suck on sour lemons when we make it to the 2nd round on Jefferdad's back-- followed by re-signing him for another 4 years.

-George

This strikes me as a rather asinine post, Mr. Numberica.

Why do you not acknowledge how BIG Al has been??

Cant wait to see you suck on sour lemons when we make it to the 2nd round on Jefferdad's back-- followed by re-signing him for another 4 years.

-George

Ain't happening. We can make the second round if Jeffy is a big contributor, but not if he has to carry the team. Fact is, no single player on this team is capable of carrying us on his back into the second round.