What's new

Does Lauri Get Traded?

Does Lauri Get Dealt Before The Season Starts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Golden State’s potential offer of 25/27/29/31 firsts plus two or three swaps beats New York’s package for Bridges without even getting to any additional players.
That's something I've been trying to drive at, I think it behooves the interest of all parties to sneak value out of this because if it's a headline grabber GSW is straight up going to be less likely to do it, so do the thing that is as good or better but not a headline grabber.

Also, Golden State can’t even trade their 2025 first unprotected can they? They traded 2024 already.

Couple this with my post above and the package including 26/28/30 firsts and swaps in 25/27/29/31 makes a lot more sense for us.

Great discussion here.

You know what, @Handlogten's Heros and @NUMBERICA you have a point and I was probably being too tunneled. I think the part I was overlooking is that you're losing UTA 30 or 31 in either scenario. I think you could argue that it's actually better to have the swap 31 because in theory the Jazz would be on the upswing, so while you are losing UTA 31 by not playing ball with WAS you are gaining UTA 30 at the risk of losing 21-30.

No WAS:

Lose - Worst of 29, UTA 31, 21-30 GSW 30

With WAS

Lose - Worst of 25 (bc sweetener to WAS), UTA 30

But GSW gets to retain some value in the different scenarios soo....yeah. I get what you're saying. Max pick value probably includes WAS (it's about the same), but If it costs us Podz/Moody...leave the WAS part out. The upside is the same in both scenarios.
1720568401191.png

Also, Golden State can’t even trade their 2025 first unprotected can they? They traded 2024 already.

Couple this with my post above and the package including 26/28/30 firsts and swaps in 25/27/29/31 makes a lot more sense for us.

Great discussion here.
They can. Stepien rule only looks forward not backward.

"All the picks" from GSW (No WAS) would be:

25 - super swapped with CLE+MIN
26 - unprotected
27 - super swapped with CLE + MIN + LAL
28 - Unprotected
29 - super swapped with CLE + MIN
30 - Reverse Protected 1-20 (extinguish obligation or convey 31 second)
31 - swap

"All the picks" from GSW (with WAS) would be:

26 - unprotected
28 - Unprotected
30 - Swap
31 - Unprotected

*WAS is owed something better than GSW 30 top 20 protected.

"All the picks" from GSW (with WAS) would be:

26 - unprotected
28 - Unprotected
30 - Swap
31 - Unprotected
Nice work. I hadn't worked through this aspect yet.

The big counter in the picks vs (super) swaps debate is that picks are liquid capital on the trade market and swaps are prohibitively difficult (if not functionally impossible) to trade.

In either scenario, the Jazz get three picks because I don't think GSW is doing four unprotected picks (unless it's Lauri already R&E-ed at the trade deadline, but only if GSW is good and Lauri is good and healthy).
It is 4 picks because we are taking Wiggins and using assets to give them their 2030 pick back.

It is 4 picks because we are taking Wiggins and using assets to give them their 2030 pick back.
Not sure what assets we’d have to give up, but I’d be content to take the protection 1-20 and then turn it into multiple seconds of it doesn’t convey. If it’s one of our underperforming young players to get it done, that would be okay. . . but don’t give up real assets for fake ones. At that point, Jazz wouldn’t need another late 1st round pick - just let Washington have it.

Back