What's new

Doner kebabs in Utah?

As a Turk i prefer Adana kebab or urfa kebab to döner. You can see everywhere döner shops cuz it's cheap and pratique.

As a Turk i prefer Adana kebab or urfa kebab to döner. You can see everywhere döner shops cuz it's cheap and pratique.

Aren't those like turkish meat loaf?

so I'm still trying to figure this out...

Is the Doner Kebab specifically Turkish? Because of the places near us, 2 are Palestinian, 2 are Greek, one is Moroccan and the other is just general Mediterranean.

And is there a specific meat that's used? Lamb is meat I'm most familiar with here, but also steak and chicken. Not pork though. Sometimes the meat is cooked on a spit and sliced, other times it's ground and cooked in links or patties.

Is the Doner Kebab specifically Turkish? Because of the places near us, 2 are Palestinian, 2 are Greek, one is Moroccan and the other is just general Mediterranean.

And is there a specific meat that's used? Lamb is meat I'm most familiar with here, but also steak and chicken. Not pork though. Sometimes the meat is cooked on a spit and sliced, other times it's ground and cooked in links or patties.
It's really not important. Let's talk about chocolate covered strawberries.

It has to be cooked on a spit and sliced off in order for it to be a true doner kebab. I'm not 100% sure about the meat, though... I think it's a mixture of beef and lamb. Something like that.

Lol.. I doubt there is a single other poster that would have read what I said and took it even slightly serious.

Lol.. I doubt there is a single other poster that would have read what I said and took it even slightly serious.

This.

I never take ANYTHING pkm says seriously. ANYTHING.

That said, colton is right. Go get a doner or go home.

It has to be cooked on a spit and sliced off in order for it to be a true doner kebab. I'm not 100% sure about the meat, though... I think it's a mixture of beef and lamb. Something like that.

Thanks Colton, for the explanation. So exactly how is it different from gyros? Typically that meat is cooked on a spit, it's served on a warm pita with onions and tomatoes and a cucumber/yogurt sauce.

From pictures of both, it seems the wrap/bread on the doner kebab can have a bit more variation and they may also have lettuce and some crumbled cheese - - but otherwise they look about the same.

at any rate, we haven't had gyros in a long time, and there's a great place near us, totally run by Greeks and makes me think of the Billy Goat Tavern made famous in the SNL skit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1tFx5xKrSI

might have to have Mickey's for dinner tonight!

Uhh... why did you take what I read seriously? Just joking around with you.

Thanks Colton, for the explanation. So exactly how is it different from gyros? Typically that meat is cooked on a spit, it's served on a warm pita with onions and tomatoes and a cucumber/yogurt sauce.

From pictures of both, it seems the wrap/bread on the doner kebab can have a bit more variation and they may also have lettuce and some crumbled cheese - - but otherwise they look about the same.

Yes, very similar to a gyro--when the gyro is done right. Perhaps some subtle differences in the seasonings used, that type of thing.

Yes, very similar to a gyro--when the gyro is done right. Perhaps some subtle differences in the seasonings used, that type of thing.

I've had some incredible gyros.. but that pic Rev posted looked much more like a sandwich, iirc.

I've had some incredible gyros.. but that pic Rev posted looked much more like a sandwich, iirc.

I can't tell from his pic. It's more typically (at least in my experience) served in a folded over pita-type bread.

(google image search)

Here you go, this looks what I've typically had:

images

I can't tell from his pic. It's more typically (at least in my experience) served in a folded over pita-type bread.

(google image search)

Here you go, this looks what I've typically had:

images

Yeah, that's definitely it. Maybe it was just the angle or my failing memory, but Rev's seemed to look more like a sandwich on sourdough or something..

Oh, and this might depend on the place, but my favorite doner kebab shop in Germany served ones that were easily 50% larger than the typical gyro size.