What's new

Donovan to play point guard and Conley to play off the ball

Would have been a huge mistake not to pair him with a PG. He's already developed bad habits (no defense). If the Jazz forced him into even higher usage he'd develop worse habits, even on offense probably by just standing around off-ball.
Isn't that what coaching is for?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Pshh. Coaching is to develop highly complicated offensive sets that require experienced players months to fathom, let alone play in. And those that can't end up scoring 20 ppg with other teams with less-sophisticated offenses, who happen to also have better playoff seeding than us. But they are far less cerebral!!

Pshh. Coaching is to develop highly complicated offensive sets that require experienced players months to fathom, let alone play in. And those that can't end up scoring 20 ppg with other teams with less-sophisticated offenses, who happen to also have better playoff seeding than us. But they are far less cerebral!!
The fear was hed turn into Westbrook... He'd be closer to Harden because he can shoot. There are issues going that high of usage... but we have other guys that are competent with the ball and could find others that can function with or without the ball.

The offense isn't really the issue with Mike and DM... it should be even better this year. Its just the size on the perimeter on the defensive side of the ball.

IMO, Jazz are designing their offense a lot like the 2018 Houston Rockets, which was the #2 offense in the league behind the Warriors.
** Mitchell is the most dynamic, triple-threat guard, and he's on the ball like James Harden was for Houston.
** Conley can play on or off the ball and lead the 2nd unit, like our version of Chris Paul.
** Bogdanovic is our catch-and-shoot floor spacer like Eric Gordon.
** Gobert is the rim-roller and dunker like Clint Capella.
** Royce and Joe are 3D guys. They're probably not as good as Trevor Ariza was that year, but they'll do okay. They're probably better than Gerald Green.
** Clarkson comes in with tunnel vision to score the ball, like a much better version of Austin Rivers.

Jazz are going to shoot a metric ton of 3s and will probably be top 3 in 3PAs. It's close to "Morey-ball."

Jazz's defense is a bit different from the Rockets, but in pre-season they've been switching a lot on the perimeter.

Last edited:
IMO, Jazz are designing their offense a lot like the 2018 Houston Rockets, which was the #2 offense in the league behind the Warriors.
** Mitchell is the most dynamic, triple-threat guard, and he's on the ball like James Harden was for Houston.
** Conley can play on or off the ball and lead the 2nd unit, like our version of Chris Paul.
** Bogdanovic is our catch-and-shoot floor spacer like Eric Gordon.
** Gobert is the rim-roller and dunker like Clint Capella.
** Royce and Joe are 3D guys. They're probably not as good as Trevor Ariza was that year, but they'll do okay. They're probably better than Gerald Green.
** Clarkson comes in with tunnel vision to score the ball, like a much better version of Austin Rivers.

Jazz are going to shoot a metric ton of 3s and will probably be top 3 in 3PAs. It's close to "Morey-ball."

Jazz's defense is a bit different from the Rockets, but in pre-season they've been switching a lot on the perimeter.
Agree with some of this... though we will do it with the sex machine offense and Houston was primarily iso.

I expect a big year from DM. I think we will play fast. I think we will shoot so many threes... and some nights it will be frustrating but mathematically its the right approach. It can't be worse than the floater offense they ran for a portion of the season last year (I know that wasn't what was supposed to happen but we got in a rut where it kept happening).

Agree with some of this... though we will do it with the sex machine offense and Houston was primarily iso.

I expect a big year from DM. I think we will play fast. I think we will shoot so many threes... and some nights it will be frustrating but mathematically its the right approach. It can't be worse than the floater offense they ran for a portion of the season last year (I know that wasn't what was supposed to happen but we got in a rut where it kept happening).

By 'sex machine' I think you mean multiple pick-and-rolls, multiple ball swings and multiple ball handlers, but yeah. Jazz also play Gobert in drop coverage defensively.

I think we should focus less on who is the primary ball handler and more on how to leverage all of our shooting/ball handling to create better shots. Sex machine? Never heard that before, but that’s what I’d like to see from this team instead of your turn, my turn basketball.

Donovan having the ball more instead of Conley is good because he’s a better player, but really hope he doesn’t abandon development off the ball. Would love to get Mitchell more shots off screens and off of spot ups, but he’s only been interested in PnR/iso so far in his career.

Lets stop the joke where we act like Mitchell is undersized at 220 with a 6'10 wingspan so it's impossible to have a smaller PG next to him.
That's not the point.

We didn't have to put a PG next to Don at all. We needed somebody who isn't ball dominant, who can really defend, and can hit spot up 3s.

Conley, especially for what he cost us, was a bad idea and trade.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I think we should focus less on who is the primary ball handler and more on how to leverage all of our shooting/ball handling to create better shots. Sex machine? Never heard that before, but that’s what I’d like to see from this team instead of your turn, my turn basketball.

Donovan having the ball more instead of Conley is good because he’s a better player, but really hope he doesn’t abandon development off the ball. Would love to get Mitchell more shots off screens and off of spot ups, but he’s only been interested in PnR/iso so far in his career.
The sex machine is a term that comes from @infection used to describe how mechanical, methodical, and science based the offense is... and how overly complicated it can be. Its also fun to say/type.

I'm mostly fine with Conley now as I think the opportunity to pivot away from him was the offseason... and I think the alternatives to Conley at this point are likely to make us a worse team.

Teams cater to star players. Go look at the latest piece on James Harden and Russell Westbrook by Tim MacMahon on ESPN. If Donovan doesnt want to play D, Donovan doesnt have to play D, and to this point Donovan has shown he doesnt want to play D. Utah has shown with the 4+1 option they are going to cater to what Donovan wants (which I'm guessing is a reason why Rudy isnt overly excited to sign).

That's not the point.

We didn't have to put a PG next to Don at all. We needed somebody who isn't ball dominant, who can really defend, and can hit spot up 3s.

Someone else coined sex machine. Can’t remember who.

The sex machine is a term that comes from @infection used to describe how mechanical, methodical, and science based the offense is... and how overly complicated it can be. Its also fun to say/type.
Found the original:

The best way I can describe Snyder:

he’s like a guy trying to make sex better. So he decides to build this super crazy sex machine, it’s got buttons and dildos and vibrators all over. In theory the sex machine could improve love making, but In reality it just complicates things. The machine malfunctions every year and ends up killing someone. A dildo flys off and stabs someone or a vibrator electrocutes someone.

If we did let Rubio walk and did not trade for Conley (nor pursue other starter level PG), our main playmaker would've been Ingles till the bubble, and for the bench orchestrator, who knows (tho without trading into Conley contract we could pursue more reliable bench playmakers than Mudiay, Exum and Clarkson) what would It be. Mitchell "pause" on the ball, alongside really good and consistent reads, were something that only came in the bubble (that actually got quite like an offseason between where the regular season stopped and Orlando).

Teams cater to star players. Go look at the latest piece on James Harden and Russell Westbrook by Tim MacMahon on ESPN. If Donovan doesnt want to play D, Donovan doesnt have to play D, and to this point Donovan has shown he doesnt want to play D. Utah has shown with the 4+1 option they are going to cater to what Donovan wants (which I'm guessing is a reason why Rudy isnt overly excited to sign).
Trying to blame everything on Don? You're pathetic.

Rudy is the one who pouts.
Rudy is the one who throws tantrums.
Rudy is the one who lowered his defensive intensity.
Rudy gets on people for not giving him the ball more.

Quit making up stuff on Don to fit your narrative.

That's not the point.

What happens is Don gets locked up by freaking Eric Gordon and no one else can make a 3. You need ballhandlers with okay shooting more than you need great shooters who can't create.

Found the original:
That was a big day in my Jazzfanz career, good times...

The real question is who is the sex machine going to kill this year? Every year there is a player that has to be traded to get the machine running again. E.g. Rodney Hood, Dante Exum.

if **** goes south and we have a malfunction I bet Conley gets moved. I am optimistic though I think this team can be pretty good.

That was a big day in my Jazzfanz career, good times...

The real question is who is the sex machine going to kill this year? Every year there is a player that has to be traded to get the machine running again. E.g. Rodney Hood, Dante Exum.

if **** goes south and we have a malfunction I bet Conley gets moved. I am optimistic though I think this team can be pretty good.
The question isn’t who gets traded, it’s what do you see on the Cavs roster that you’d like to get back?