What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Down On the Farm

The Thriller

Here are Fitts highlights. He's clearly an NBA athlete with good size and defensive instincts for a wing. Able to guard 2 - 4 in most cases. Decent 3pt shooter when he squares up on balance. Able to finish in the paint with Euro-steps, rip-throughs and hard drives. He can push the ball end-to-end and has pretty good vision and and accuracy on passes. The thing that stands out to me is his ability to play at NBA speed. I'd say he's further along than Hughes and Oni. He really looks the part of a two-way, athletic wing for the modern game.

Shows far more potential than Hughes, Forrest, and Oni to me. Give me Fitts!

Also, why do people claim that Forrest knows his role and doesn’t make mistakes? All the games I’ve seen of him lately he’s gotten himself caught underneath the basket and throwing it away. He drives but then refuses to shoot and ends up turning it over. I just don’t get the bias that some of you have. Butler has more potential and while he’s making mistakes, Forrest certainly is too and doesn’t have near the potential.

The Thriller

I think he's probably 6'6" w/o shoes. He's at least an inch taller than Hughes. With shoes, I'd believe he's 6'7". He also has a 7' wingspan, which helps him make defensive plays.

Fitts had a really nice game tonight -- 27pts, 5rebs, 2asts, 4stls, 2blks and zero TOs. He and Butler look like NBA players. The other guys are questionable, including Dok and Hughes. Fitts is also shooting 36% from 3pt and averages 3 stls and 2.5 blks through 2 G-league games.

Hughes has had some bad misses and bad turnovers. I just don't believe in him creating with the ball in his hands or shooting off the dribble.
Hughes reminds me of Mo Almond. Good college scorer; bad NBA player.

The Thriller

Stars lost tonight. Fitts and Butler were over 20 points. Fitts looked good Butler looked like garbage. I thought everyone on the Stars besides Fitts looked horrible. Butler showed some big holes in his game tonight.
9-18 shooting, 4/9 from 3, 4 rbs, 3 assists (4 TOs) and 26 pts is “garbage?”

My goodness people…

The Thriller

With young guys I think part of that “thinking too much” is being worried they get pulled. I think as a coach you just have to commit to living with it. I don’t feel like Quin gave it enough time. It was a wishy washy.

Side rant: I also think we need to separate the ideas of "we are here to win a championship" and "we can't play young guys because we are in win now mode". Playoff seeding does not matter. Get the top seed in the western conference and you may pull Memphis or you might get an LAL team that is now healthy or a Denver team with a healthy Murray.... home court is nice but it isn't the end all be all. Getting a young guy some seasoning in the regular season does not mean we are in deviating from championship or bust... and it may actually be the right move if our goals are championship or bust.
True.

Our win now mentality has us at #3 currently. So if the playoffs started today we’d end up with *checks stsndings* the Clippers!

LOL. great…

Denver is a half a game up on them and Memphis is a half a game back.

So honestly, I’m not sure if playoff seed matters. It should be developing to improve our team and keeping as many of our older folks healthy and energized. We won’t win anything if Conley and Mitchell are broken again. And boy would it be nice to develop someone like Fitts or Pascal who could help defensively or someone like Butler to add some punch off the bench?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Here are Fitts highlights. He's clearly an NBA athlete with good size and defensive instincts for a wing. Able to guard 2 - 4 in most cases. Decent 3pt shooter when he squares up on balance. Able to finish in the paint with Euro-steps, rip-throughs and hard drives. He can push the ball end-to-end and has pretty good vision and and accuracy on passes. The thing that stands out to me is his ability to play at NBA speed. I'd say he's further along than Hughes and Oni. He really looks the part of a two-way, athletic wing for the modern game.

I wonder if he will ever get a chance. I'd like to see him in a few games.

Man at least from this video his shooting stroke looks pure. I'll need to watch more of him.

homeytennis

He shows more potential than Brantley, Oni, Forrest, and Eliza ever have

The Stars were down by 26 early in the 4th quarter and a big reason for that was Butler making bad decisions and stopping the offense. Our draft class of 2020 did not shine either during this time.

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
I wonder if he will ever get a chance. I'd like to see him in a few games.

Man at least from this video his shooting stroke looks pure. I'll need to watch more of him.

I'm trying to compare him to other guys I've seen in the league, and I think he's somewhere between Dwayne Bacon and Chuma Okeke. Okeke was a solid, mid 1st-round pick. The thing is, he seems to be behind Eric Paschall in the rotation, at least for this season. I think he's a better shooter than Paschall though, and he's better able to guard quicker wings. He's also got a decent step-back jumper from mid-range.

At a minimum, I could see Fitts replacing Oni on the active roster this season. Hughes I think the Jazz will keep around hoping that he develops into a Reggie Bullock-type wing shooter. Quin loves shooters with gravity.

Last edited:

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Based on last night I can see Quin's logic going with Forrest over Butler. Butler made some poor decisions.
You mean like when Forrest dribbled past 2 possible guys to pass to, ended up stuck under the basket with nowhere to go and got in the air with no one to pass to then turned it over on the travel call? At a time when we needed to maintain our possessions and not in garbage time? Like that?

homeytennis

You mean like when Forrest dribbled past 2 possible guys to pass to, ended up stuck under the basket with nowhere to go and got in the air with no one to pass to then turned it over on the travel call? At a time when we needed to maintain our possessions and not in garbage time? Like that?
Last night more than once Butler took the air out of the ball necessitating a bad shot and dribbled into double or triple teams losing the ball. I think not playing in Summer League is catching up to him as Quin's offense is hard to pick up for newbies.