What's new

Dunn deal is done

He's another guy who's absolutely useless off the ball. We have too many of them already.

Our spacing is one of the worst in the league as it is. Hoarding these dribble-happy, non-shooting guards and wings doesn't make any sense. It just leads to Lauri floating to the weak side perimeter by necessity since he's pretty much the only one with any gravity there.

I know Hardy & co are probably throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks, but creating another minutes crunch in the backcourt and choosing players who need the ball is a weird way to go about it. IMO the idea should be to surround Lauri & Kessler with shooters, so they can rule the interior. That's the future, not dudes like Dunn using 80% of the shot clock doing hesitation dribbles inside the arc, while Markkanen spaces the floor for them.
My point was more about Dunn being potentially better for a bench commander role than JC... but I agree the trio of Sexton/JC/Dunn definitely doesnt fit to the same roster long term.

However I'm still not 100% sure we got a starting guard on the roster tbh.. so its good to throw that **** in case something actually sticks and clicks.

Only guys I'm sure about as starters are Lauri and Walker.

I am ok with the point guard being an average shooter, if the point guard can drive and make smart passes to his teammates. That point guard can still create spacing and gravity and I think Kris Dunn can do that. I am also am ok with an average shooting center on the same team as long as he is good in the pick and roll or is good lob threat. I think Kessler fits that role.

Where I think shooting is absolutely critical is with the 2, 3, and 4 spots. The more elite you are there the better the offense becomes. I think Lauri can fill that role for either the 3 or 4 spot on this team. Abaji can fill that role at the 2 or 3 spot. Clarkson brings a lot to the table but he is free agent.

Anyway, in this draft I would look for the best scorer/shooter 2, 3, or 4 and let the team adjust around that.

Can we sign him for like 3 years with a team option on the last year for a really really cheap deal?
Yes… by using MLE… not sure if it would prorate his minimum this year though. I think it’s optional but I know in other instance teams can use MLE to give a minimum deal but they actually pay the full 1.7M instead of prorated minimum.

This is one of my pet peeves with the last administration when you sign these deals (like Danuel House) then get the option year to give you upside.

I think Dunn has a little bit of a rhythm with Lauri. Might be worth a minimum right there… and I know it’s a touchy-feely type thing… but I love having guys that were out of the league at one time to be around the young guys. Even if it was mostly injury related.

Dunn is the worst kind of fake defender. He looks like a genius when his ball hawking works 1 time out of 10 and he picks someone's pocket in the backcourt, getting a dunk. But 9 times out of 10 he takes himself out of position with his reaching and then it's up to his teammates to rotate like crazy to cover for him. Dude's always been like this.

In that way he's very similar to Vando and Sexton. He looks like he's working super hard on D, but he's doing the wrong things and wasting energy. None of these guys have any idea how to play team defense, and team defense is where it's at these days in the NBA.

On the other side of the ball he's Clarkson without the jump shot. Not sure we want to give a guy like that a long term deal that would take him into the wrong side of 30.

Dunn is a ballhog who needs four shooters spread out around him so he has space for his dribbling adventures into the middle. The problems with that:

1) We don't have those shooters
2) We have a traditional C who lives in the paint
3) If there's one guy who we need to work in a spaced out interior, it's Lauri, not Dunn.
Prime Dunn was a menace… might ball hawk a bit but he also got into dudes and was as close to a lock down guy as there is nowadays. Not sure that level is still there but with how great the shot making is in the league… go ahead and take some risks… the bend but don’t break defense is a little overrated.

I see the honeymoon is ongoing but there are a few of us who watched Dunn pretty closely during his and Lauri's tenure with the Bulls. I am not as sceptic as some but I do recognise that Dunn might be a risk with Lauri. After all, it was partially Dunn's doing that Lauri was left in a passive role. Though, that might be as per coach's design. But regardless, their past might be a burden as much as it might be positive. I think it comes down to how Hardy can best utilize Dunn within the system. Thus far Hardy has shown that he can run the show and I don't doubt it. Hence, I am inclined to give Dunn a benefit of a doubt. Until the end of the season and if it works out, extend him.

I see the honeymoon is ongoing but there are a few of us who watched Dunn pretty closely during his and Lauri's tenure with the Bulls. I am not as sceptic as some but I do recognise that Dunn might be a risk with Lauri. After all, it was partially Dunn's doing that Lauri was left in a passive role. Though, that might be as per coach's design. But regardless, their past might be a burden as much as it might be positive. I think it comes down to how Hardy can best utilize Dunn within the system. Thus far Hardy has shown that he can run the show and I don't doubt it. Hence, I am inclined to give Dunn a benefit of a doubt. Until the end of the season and if it works out, extend him.

It was never Dunn. He did well with Lauri. It was Lavine or Justin Holiday or Jerian Grant. It was horrible coaching in almost two seasons Lauri and Dunn shared. It was spacing issues too. I watched every single game and Dunn was never more of an issue than his bad outside shooting. He is not as great of a passer than mike so sometimes he missed open Lauri but Dunn was looking for him. and it is not like Dunn is going to start here so whatever. Our coach knows that him starting would cause to much spacing issues.

tl:dr: It was never Dunn.

Kris Dunn will literally be 29 years old next month. What are you smoking?
That would be called a "typo". I must have hit 7 instead of 8. Anyway, not even 28 is 30.

As you brought up the smoking thingy, what have *you* been smoking to claim Dunn has had several shoulder *and* knee surgeries? :)

Dunn wouldn't be on the team if Lauri didn't want to play with him again. Don't you think that Jazz FO aren't going to ask their star player if it's okay if they bring Dunn in for a 10 day tryout considering they were teammates at one point?

Dunn wouldn't be on the team if Lauri didn't want to play with him again. Don't you think that Jazz FO aren't going to ask their star player if it's okay if they bring Dunn in for a 10 day tryout considering they were teammates at one point?
You must be crazy if you think Lauri has any say in personnel decisions at this point. He'll need a max deal for that.

My point is that there are many things at play here. You cannot say that their mutual past was an actual success but I am hoping that things work out for Dunn with the Jazz. As I have tried to explain, I do expect Hardy to be able to bring things around. Hardy himself said in the presser that he is happy with how Dunn has been able to adapt in just a few days and to produce within the system. I am certainly not against giving Dunn a chance. I just also happen to understand the sceptic point of view also.

Dunn is no miracle maker but I sincerely wish him a second chance to show his worth and I would be happy to see him succeed.

Dunn is an example of the "interchangables" at the end of an NBA bench and guys floating around in the GLeague.

With the condition of staying healthy - I highly disagree. His MCL tears and constant coaching changes lead where he was before now getting another chance. I have never seen him as a starter in a good team of course but if he is healthy and the team is well ran he belongs easily in the depth chart. If he stays away from massive injury troubles I will be shocked if he ever wears another G-league jersey. He would be imo in lot of teams among the 10 best players and will have a solid end for his career, if his health gives him a break here. ¨Just a real small portion in the g-league will never reach his current level which is not far from what he was under Hoibergs's Bulls. And that's a solid NBA player.

“Me and Lauri talk every day — about the way he plays, how the team plays, what certain guys like to do,” Dunn said.

Dunn likened it to walking into a new class for the first time and seeing your friend sitting there.
Sounds like Dunn is fine by Lauri, for whatever it's worth.

Sounds like Dunn is fine by Lauri, for whatever it's worth.

It's worth a lot to have a friend in team that is one of the guards to feed the ball. Here is the highlights from Lauri in his rookie season debut in MSG. Had season high 33. Dunn assisted almost all of them buckets.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVavAYJgBDs

When he had the charge to move the ball, things were ok. Their other guards and wings were horrible chuckers back then. Grant, Holiday, Lavine, Valentine... taking idiotic shots instead of the right pass to make.