What's new

Elections Have Consequences.

So how does one eradicate Trumpism? Is Trumpism a new thing? Or just some that has a new face? How does it differ from Nationalism?
How to defeat it is an excellent question, and I don't have the beginning of an answer, but I do feel it differs greatly from nationalism.
Sure, it's definitely based on racism and nationalism, but what really sets it apart is the complete and utter disregard for truth and rational discussion.

So, what will be the actual consequences of this election? The Democrats now control both houses of Congress as well as the presidency.

First thing will be expanding the stimulus.
It's starting to look like the second thing might be raising the minimum wage.
Some election law changes to prevent this cluster from reoccurring?

After today I hope Criminal Charges Have Consequences is the next thread I make.
Criminal charges are being made... on journalists!

Unreal. Un****ing real. MAGA invades the Capitol even barges into pelosi’s office and the people the police arrest are... journalists covering the events?

nice job Blue.

At some point don’t the police need to be looked at as enabling?

So how does one eradicate Trumpism? Is Trumpism a new thing? Or just some that has a new face? How does it differ from Nationalism?
Well, nationalism certainly plays a role in Trumpism. When he embraces the flag, and his crowd cheers, he is posing as the number one cheerleader for America. He attacks our alliances out of a sense of nationalistic grievance: other nations are taking advantage of us. He embraced an isolationist style of nationalism: America first, and essentially, the hell with shared problems, like climate change, requiring shared responsibility and response. He also very much appeals to that strain of nationalism that I think is most uniquely American: the marriage of right wing Christian ideology with flag waving nationalism. God is on America’s side. Pompeo himself subscribes to a belief in the Rapture, and sees the Iranian situation from the point of view of biblical prophesy. So, there is a strain of nationalism strongly tied to American forms of Christianity, and that strain of nationalism is very much a component of Trumpism.

Trump’s is an Uber-Nationalism. His rally crowds revel in Trump as the leader of this aggressive style of nationalistic fervor. We should keep in mind that nationalistic fervor played a role in the outbreak of two world wars. The Olympics is one thing. Cheer for your national team. Trump’s Uber-nationalism is unhealthy....

How to defeat it is an excellent question, and I don't have the beginning of an answer, but I do feel it differs greatly from nationalism.
Sure, it's definitely based on racism and nationalism, but what really sets it apart is the complete and utter disregard for truth and rational discussion.
I was thinking that the comparisons to naziism are striking and I was having this conversation with my family over the last few days. But the more I thought about it the more I realized it's more like the Manson family. Trump is eerily similar to Charles Manson in lots of ways and his followers like the Manson family, blindly following their cult leader and spewing his rhetoric robotically and then maniacally. I have little doubt that Trump will be viewed as a martyr if he goes to jail for any of this, and if he carved a swastika into his forehead I have no doubt you would see scores of bearded guys in wife-beaters, carrying confederate flags, with swastikas carved in their foreheads. I think we are, first, just lucky it wasn't worse or that there hasn't been more violence so far from that group, and second, just seeing the beginning of it. An entitled white male following like this, encouraged in their racism and violent tendencies, has the potential to get much worse before it ever gets better.

Last edited:
Well, nationalism certainly plays a role in Trumpism. When he embraces the flag, and his crowd cheers, he is posing as the number one cheerleader for America. He attacks our alliances out of a sense of nationalistic grievance: other nations are taking advantage of us. He embraced an isolationist style of nationalism: America first, and essentially, the hell with shared problems, like climate change, requiring shared responsibility and response. He also very much appeals to that strain of nationalism that I think is most uniquely American: the marriage of right wing Christian ideology with flag waving nationalism. God is on America’s side. Pompeo himself subscribes to a belief in the Rapture, and sees the Iranian situation from the point of view of biblical prophesy. So, there is a strain of nationalism strongly tied to American forms of Christianity, and that strain of nationalism is very much a component of Trumpism.

Trump’s is an Uber-Nationalism. His rally crowds revel in Trump as the leader of this aggressive style of nationalistic fervor. We should keep in mind that nationalistic fervor played a role in the outbreak of two world wars. The Olympics is one thing. Cheer for your national team. Trump’s Uber-nationalism is unhealthy....
This is a good post. The Dominionists who want to merge government and church also share responsibility here. Christian churches could've ended his presidency long ago. Instead, they traded their souls for conservative judges. The structure has been set up by Republican politicians, grassroots organizations (Eagle Forum here in Utah), and big donors (Mercers, Kochs, etc), and The Federalist Society (which fast tracks young law students to the judicial).

I wouldn’t go this far. This party is still very much alive. They’re a dozen seats away from controlling the house. One seat away from controlling the senate. a handful of swing states away from controlling the White House. and they still control the majority of state legislatures and Governor mansions. They’re still far better funded and organized than Democrats. The richest in America fund Republicans. They have countless think tanks like Heritage, CATO, Turning Point, and ALEC. They have the Federalist society that promotes ideologues to fill the court system. They have an unholy alliance with most Christian religions in America. That means that despite shrinking white evangelicals they’re gaining ground with Catholic Hispanics. Finally, they have the most comprehensive propaganda network in the history of mankind. From professional looking Fox News, to omnipresent am radio, to the best organizer for disinformation and protest, Facebook.

The Republican Party is still very much alive even in its current Trump state. Just watch, they’ll go back to obstructing everything starting Jan 20 and will most likely retake the Congress at the 2022 midterms, making Biden a lame duck president. this is why the next two years are key to repairing our democracy. Democrats should focus on voting rights and keeping their wide diverse base engaged at the local level and voting. We know Republicans are going to be come 2022. We need repeated Republican defeats and to send them into the wildness for a generation to bring balance to our country. Only once the poison that the Kochs and Fox News provide doesnt sell in winning state legislatures and congress will we finally see real reform in right wing media and the Republican Party.

But is the Republican Party still very much alive? Especially with so many Republican's in Congress coming out against Trump? I wonder how many Republicans feel like this woman:

"One of the women, who identified herself as Rachel J., said she doesn't see much hope for the future of the current Republican Party.

"I just think most patriots like myself are going to go home, take care of my family," she said. "Are you going to get us out to vote again? I doubt it. I don't think a Republican could ever win another national election."

Other people I spoke with echoed the same theme - that Trump should form a new "Patriot Party" and leave the GOP in the dust.

Aren’t you tools just SO proud of your vote now? If not for Godwins, I’d be making Nazi comparisons all day long.

My generation has become my grandparents generation; our grand babies are going to wonder just how in the ruddy hell we ever thought this was acceptable.

Criminal charges are being made... on journalists!

Unreal. Un****ing real. MAGA invades the Capitol even barges into pelosi’s office and the people the police arrest are... journalists covering the events?

nice job Blue.

At some point don’t the police need to be looked at as enabling?

They are being investigated 2 have been suspended and one has been arrested with 10 more under investigation.

Nothing will change until the republicans start caring more about the country and less about their party. The real challenge is how to deal with the misinformation from the right media. All speech is not protected and inciting people to attack our gov't and threaten to kill our leaders should always be met with the strongest response. Doing nothing to these terrorists will only empower them more.

Nothing will change until the republicans start caring more about the country and less about their party. The real challenge is how to deal with the misinformation from the right media. All speech is not protected and inciting people to attack our gov't and threaten to kill our leaders should always be met with the strongest response. Doing nothing to these terrorists will only empower them more.
But they can’t do that until right wing media stop brainwashing Republican voters and inciting them to extremism.

But they can’t do that until right wing media stop brainwashing Republican voters and inciting them to extremism.
I agree 100 percent but if the Republicans called out right wing media perhaps change would begin instead they use it as their pulpit. The only other way is too fine media who knowingly lie and incite violence which is extremely difficult to do. I am not optimistic about the media changing without financial consequences for them.

You mean stuff like this?

"Miller, who advised the former president on policy and also served as White House director of speechwriting to Trump, suggested executive orders signed by Biden were undemocratic.

"It's about fundamental morality, and decency, and yes democracy," he told Fox News."

Or @Gameface they can just alter the rules of the election so they win:

why would Georgia Republicans suddenly pass all of these voter suppression laws RIGHT AFTER they lost two state wide elections? Their own Sec of State praised Georgia’s elections as the “gold standard.” I don’t get it. /s

Now that Republicans can’t win with Trumpism, they’re just going to throw away democracy while they still can:

“bOtH pArTiEs ArE tHe SaMe!”

Last edited: