What's new

Eric Paschall is not who I thought he was

Paschall looks like our most engaged player some nights. He brings a totally different look, energy, and unique set of skills.

For me, situational he should start against some matchups and not play against others.

We need to be logging those situations now so we are competent on the when and how come the playoffs.

Paschal is better than Royce and it's not even close. In pretty much every aspect of the game.
Uhh, Royce is an infinitely better shoot and rebounder.

Paschall is a better scorer and maybe a better man defender, but I'm not ready to say that until he starts guarding stars 24/7 like Royce.

Paschall is definitely interesting. I just dont know how useful he is with a true center in the game (becomes way too relegated to spot up 3pt shooting). When the floor is spaced he's a very effective slasher, but he isnt a good enough rebounder to play the 5 and the rest of the Jazz team is *** at switching so we can't do that effectively.

Uhh, Royce is an infinitely better shoot and rebounder.

Paschall is a better scorer and maybe a better man defender, but I'm not ready to say that until he starts guarding stars 24/7 like Royce.
In which Royce is not very good at. Who's he stopped specifically? Royce has maybe 1 great defensive outing out of 10. He shuts down nobody.

I agree it's not a good metric, but if your argument is that Royce isnt a good defensive player you're completely wrong.
Royce is a plus defender, he is not some lock-down defensive savant. He is serviceable and, sadly, our best individual defender outside of Gobert. Which is no where near enough to carry the defensive load that will, and has, killed us in the playoffs.

Royce is a plus defender, he is not some lock-down defensive savant. He is serviceable and, sadly, our best individual defender outside of Gobert. Which is no where near enough to carry the defensive load that will, and has, killed us in the playoffs.
Yes, I've said that many times. He's a more "Jack of all trades" type defender than a guy who excels at any one thing, which is perfect for the Jazz because they have basically no defensive players outside of Gobert (and Paschall who has shown some promise in that area from a man to man defensive perspective).

The fact is that adding a single defensive player, even if he's a guy who excels at "lockdown", isn't going to help the Jazz all that much. Donovan needs to be way more committed as he is the one with the best defensive tools. We can ask the same of Bogey, but he has a legitimate cap to his ability.