What's new

ESPN-2012 NBA Player Rankings

So, the average ranking of the Jazz players that are currently on the roster is 229 (rounded). The average score of all the Jazz players is 4.21.

which means that (according to voters) our best player is as good as the average team's second-best player.

btw, i would trade al straight up for MOST of the guys in the 20 spots right behind him.

This is a very telling thought. Not to mention a lot of them make a few million less a year.

Al 43, Paul 53, Derrick 89, Gordon 123, Mo 125, Marvin 163, Randy 201, Enas 205, Alec 242, Earl 323, Jeremy 342,
Jamaal 347, DeMarre 380, Kevin 483. The good news is none had a down arrow.

Tyler J. Perry said:
Al Jefferson (#NBArank 44) is a traditional post-up center in a league that doesn't value that position anymore.

Translated: I haven't ever watched Al Jefferson play but that is his reputation.

So sports writers think Jefferson is our best player. I'm assuming we don't have any Jazzfanz amongst major sports writers. Personally, I think he's still a bit underrated in these rankings. Have we seen Josh Smith yet, or Joe Johnson, or the aging Paul Pierce? Nonetheless, Jefferson's value probably isn't going to go up much from here. We're probably approaching a sell-high situation.

So, we don't have even a top 40 player on our team? And yet we made the playoffs last year. Huh.

Millsap not cracking top 50 and Gordon not cracking top 100 were both travesties.

FWIW, CBS Sports did a similar ranking, and Millsap was ranked ahead of Jefferson. Some food for thought.

Millsap not cracking top 50 and Gordon not cracking top 100 were both travesties.

FWIW, CBS Sports did a similar ranking, and Millsap was ranked ahead of Jefferson. Some food for thought.

I agree with the the first sentence 100%. Do you have a link to the CBS Sports rankings? I found some statistical-based rankings they have but Jefferson was ahead of Millsap in those, so I assume you're talkng about something different.

I agree with the the first sentence 100%. Do you have a link to the CBS Sports rankings? I found some statistical-based rankings they have but Jefferson was ahead of Millsap in those, so I assume you're talkng about something different.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/...resents-the-nba-elite-100-no-39-through-no-30

Millsap is ranked 36th, Al is rated 50th: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/...on-basketballs-elite-100-no-100-through-no-50

36 is really good for Millsap. Good descriptions for both players as well

so it looks like CBS's ratings were prepared by three CBS bloggers, versus the 104 espn involved. two of their guys ranked millsap #31 in the league (which makes sense -- that's fringe all-star territory, where sap has been for the last 2-3 years) and the third guy ranked him #61, which brought his average down.

i think the 3-man rating team is actually a little more accurate, assuming you've got three guys who actually watch all teams. the problem with ESPN's list of voters is that a HUGE number of their 104 are team bloggers that mostly cover one team. how well does some guy who blogs about the orlando magic know about al, paul or gordon, ya know?

so it looks like CBS's ratings were prepared by three CBS bloggers, versus the 104 espn involved. two of their guys ranked millsap #31 in the league (which makes sense -- that's fringe all-star territory, where sap has been for the last 2-3 years) and the third guy ranked him #61, which brought his average down.

i think the 3-man rating team is actually a little more accurate, assuming you've got three guys who actually watch all teams. the problem with ESPN's list of voters is that a HUGE number of their 104 are team bloggers that mostly cover one team. how well does some guy who blogs about the orlando magic know about al, paul or gordon, ya know?

Great point. This was also witnessed on Hoopsworld when they mentioned that Jefferson was the best defensive player that the Jazz have and that Favors might be there soon.