What's new

ESPN Power Rankings

that can't be right, can it?

Since Gaines' buzzer-beater to beat Cleveland, I can't think of any more off the top of my head until the two this season.

EDIT: Good work akirac73. I remember watching the Jefferson one but spaced it out. I'm surprised to hear that Carlos Arroyo ever had a buzzer-beating game-winner though.

Reactions: MVP
Al Jefferson 3 and I remember paul millsap tip in against Miami.

Al Jefferson 3 and I remember paul millsap tip in against Miami.

The Millsap one wasn't a game-winner as it sent the game to OT The Big Al 3 wasn't a buzzer-beater but it was clutch. Anything from Arroyo would fall out of the 9-season window. AKMVP reminded me of one via rep comment: Mo Williams vs the Spurs. So unless anyone can think of any besides Gaines vs the Cavs, Jefferson vs the Raptors, and Mo vs. the Spurs, three it is.

Since Gaines' buzzer-beater to beat Cleveland, I can't think of any more off the top of my head until the two this season.

EDIT: Good work akirac73. I remember watching the Jefferson one but spaced it out. I'm surprised to hear that Carlos Arroyo ever had a buzzer-beating game-winner though.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/28/...-alone-in-8th-after-arroyo-s-late-basket.html

I thought I could find a video on this but couldn't. I vaguely recall it was a jumper from the baseline near the jazz bench.

The Millsap one wasn't a game-winner as it sent the game to OT The Big Al 3 wasn't a buzzer-beater but it was clutch. Anything from Arroyo would fall out of the 9-season window. AKMVP reminded me of one via rep comment: Mo Williams vs the Spurs. So unless anyone can think of any besides Gaines vs the Cavs, Jefferson vs the Raptors, and Mo vs. the Spurs, three it is.
Actually the article said, in 9 seasons PRIOR to this season, only 3 buzzer beaters have happened. 2013 - 9 seasons = 2004. Arroyo's game winner happened in 2004.

AKMVP reminded me that Al Jefferson 3 wasn't a game winner as well, it also wasn't a buzzer-beater. At least Millsap one was a buzzer-beater. There was also a Devin Harris buzzer-beater to tie the game.

AKMVP reminded me that Al Jefferson 3 wasn't a game winner as well, it also wasn't a buzzer-beater. At least Millsap one was a buzzer-beater. There was also a Devin Harris buzzer-beater to tie the game.

A tie likely doesn't count in the statistic quoted since it didn't end the game with no time left on the clock.

A tie likely doesn't count in the statistic quoted since it didn't end the game with no time left on the clock.

I don't know about that but it forces the game to overtime. Someone could argue buzzer-beaters should include end-of-quarter shots or shot-clock expiring ones. It's all semantics.

First thing that came to mind besides Sundiata and Mo was Deron Williams @ Charlotte in 2010, but checking the box score now, there was 0,8 seconds still on the clock when he hit the winner so that obviously does not qualify.

D-Will's layup against Lebron in the ESA was a game winning buzzer beater wasn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005-06 is the cutoff for 9 seasons.
You're right, but I think the "9 season" statement by the writer has to be a mistake. I checked the entire game log from the 2005-06 season, and there were no game winning buzzer-beaters by the Jazz that season.

However in the 2004-2005 season, Okur made a layup against the Spurs at the buzzer to snap an 18-game losing streak against them.

https://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=250110026

This HAS to be the third buzzer beater.

Edited: Good catch Nightmare...went back and read your previous post and you already mentioned this game. I think this is the one.

Last edited: