What's new

EuroBasket Thread

We just need to be in the bottom 10 for two years. Our lack of experienced depth and defense + trading Bogey/Mike should do the trick and then a *very* fast rise back up the conference.

Sexton, Beasley, Fontecchio, Markkanen and Vanderbilt might end up being a lot better than expected. Super curious to see how it all comes together. Weak bench and playing young players big minutes might be the key to effectively tanking.

The hard part will be creating a weak bench. We have crazy depth right now so we need to try to move guys without taking back quality depth.

The hard part will be creating a weak bench. We have crazy depth right now so we need to try to move guys without taking back quality depth.
As long as we get rid of Mike and Bojan we'll lose plenty. We'll have 'good' players top to bottom, but we won't have anyone to be difference makers. The league is historically good in both conferences right now, and over the course of a game our lack of any 'great' players will lose us most of our games.

We'll probably be pretty sad when the next expansion draft comes around just as we want to keep everyone.

Sexton, Beasley, Fontecchio, Markkanen and Vanderbilt might end up being a lot better than expected. Super curious to see how it all comes together. Weak bench and playing young players big minutes might be the key to effectively tanking.

Just an FYI, it's kind of impossible to be a bad team just on the basis of a bad bench. If you look at all the bad teams throughout the years, their starters are also getting clapped. You can always bench your starters if they're playing "too" well....but there are enough teams with a horrible bench and horrible starters that you can't be a bottom feeder without both. I saw the 13/14 Jazz being referenced as a team with good starters but bad bench. Reality is that even the good young players (Hayward, Favors, Burks etc) also got clobbered even if they showed promise and eventually became good players.

That said, I don't think the Jazz have to worry here. We have a handful of good players, but they will still get destroyed.

It isnt good to have a total tank approach when you have a handful of young winners on your team. Teaching them that winning games is bad is not the right hearts we want beating in their chests. I know 1st round picks are great but it seems that its become the only thing we want now. What if we are too good to be bad, people have said we can do this or that to lose games, but what if we are a good team now. We tell our guys to suck so we can get a good pick doesnt sound healthy for the players we have acquired. who agrees anyone

As long as we get rid of Mike and Bojan we'll lose plenty. We'll have 'good' players top to bottom, but we won't have anyone to be difference makers. The league is historically good in both conferences right now, and over the course of a game our lack of any 'great' players will lose us most of our games.

We'll probably be pretty sad when the next expansion draft comes around just as we want to keep everyone.
I have a feeling that Lauri turns into a difference maker this year. He has always had a great skillset but never the confidence to impose his will on the game. I think that changes this year. He is going to come out of this euro tourney with all the confidence in the world. We also have a lot of shooters that should really compliment him.

I have a feeling that Lauri turns into a difference maker this year. He has always had a great skillset but never the confidence to impose his will on the game. I think that changes this year. He is going to come out of this euro tourney with all the confidence in the world. We also have a lot of shooters that should really compliment him.
I agree, but I also have expected him to turn things around and really take off every year. But maybe this is finally the right spot, the right time, and the right coach for that.

Anyone else watching this France vs Italy game?

Fontechio had just drew a foul on Fournier and sank a 3 all in the space of 30 seconds.
Just turned it on, thanks for the reminder.

Hoping Simone shows out, but rooting for Rudy/France to win Gold.

Simone had Gobert on a switch and had a nice move to get a makeable layup, but absolutely smoked it off the backboard.

Simone had Gobert on a switch and had a nice move to get a makeable layup, but absolutely smoked it off the backboard.
That was always my favorite **** from Rudy. They think they have the clear path, then BOOM BITCHES and it's gone!

Italy came back. Down 1. Rudy got 9, Fontecchio has 15.

French coach needs to give Gobert more minutes in an elimination game. Letting Italy come back in by taking him out.

The French coach lets his team go to **** lmao. Why they playing their 3rd string center in an elimination game? France down 6