What's new

Everyone saying "I don't remember us looking this bad before" has a short memory

I would say that the players look like they are thinking too much on offense. They also play scared knowing that if they run to the wrong spot, throw an alley oop or shoot a bad shot they are gonna get jerked.

I would say that the players look like they are thinking too much on offense. They also play scared knowing that if they run to the wrong spot, throw an alley oop or shoot a bad shot they are gonna get jerked.
I agree with the first point about looking scared or tentative running the offense but looking at the starters only one players minutes (baring foul trouble) has fluctuated or had them taken away.

I want one thing moving forward: players who play with fire, intensity, and passion, as well as consistency. No more soft bitches who don't give a damn and have the work ethic of Dom Deluise. Get AK, Memo and Jeffersonthe hell out of here. Pay Bell the last 6M for his last two years this summer and cut your losses and start with the Hayward's and Elson's of the world. Guys who give a damn and we know will show up. Or maybe that doesn't matter to Jerry.

Seriously, imagine a starting five of Deron-Wes-Miles-Millsap-Fes right now. I'd go to war with that at least. Price-Watson-Hayward-AK and Elson off the bench. I can live with that knowing they'll fight and we'll have a ton of cap room.

Does anyone know if the coaching staff teaches our front court players to lay it in as opposed to dunking it? I always felt as though our bigs are told not to dunk the ball.

Does anyone know if the coaching staff teaches our front court players to lay it in as opposed to dunking it? I always felt as though our bigs are told not to dunk the ball.

Sloan decided that dunking was bad during Malone's rookie year when Malone famously missed several dunks sending the ball nearly to the level of the jumbotron and all the way to mid-court. He talks about it a lot when he derides being "flashy" instead of being fundamentally sound. Luckily for our entertainment Malone still dunked until he was a little old man in his 17th season or so, but that is how Jerry has been teaching it, to lay it up instead of going for the flashy dunk, for 23 years, and that is how he teaches it now.

[edited for clarity as per viny's post below]

Wasn't it a change in the starting line up that spurred the Jazz win streak last mid-season? Why don't we do that again...for more than 1 game.

Wasn't it a change in the starting line up that spurred the Jazz win streak last mid-season? Why don't we do that again...for more than 1 game.

If it isn't spurred by an injury those kinds of changes do not last long with Sloan. And when the injured player returns, no matter how well the replacement has been playing or how well the team is doing, the returning players gets slotted right back in where they were.

This is the First Sloan Corrolary (FSC) to Isaac Newton's three laws of motion. To wit:

The first law - the law of momentum.

This law posits that every body remains at rest or moves with constat velocity in a straight line, unless it is compelled to change that state by a force acting upon it.

The second law - the law of acceleration.

This law posits that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force causing it.

The third law - the law of action and reaction.

The action of a force exerted by one body on a second body produces a reaction that is equal and opposite in direction to the action.

So we can see that in keeping with the first law, if the body (the team) is left alone (with momentum leading to success due to the lineup change) then it will continue to succeed (move along it's present course). Sloan's insistence of returning an injured player immediately into the linup causes a decrease in momentum (compelled to change by a force acting upon it, i.e. Sloan)

In regards to the second law, the force causing the acceleration is the new lineup, which is propelling the team (the body) to new success at an increasing rate. With the return of an injured player, this force is reduced and often even negated or inverted, causing the rate of acceleration to, at best, decrese, and at worse stop or begin to increase in the opposite direction.

According to the third law, Sloan's action (force exerted by one body) on the team (second body) creates an equal and opposite reaction. So when the injured player immediately returns to the starting lineup, regardless of the success of the team during that player's absence, it causes an opposite reaction. That is, the team begins to move in the opposite direction as it was before.

This is in keeping with other Sloan Corrolaries to other laws of physics, such as the laws of thermodynamics, etc. For example, Sloans system is designed to maintain or decrease entropy in the system thereby avoiding any spontaneous change or disruptions to the system that might bring about change, even planned change to impact the results generated by the system, completely independent of the current results derived from the system.

It is all a part of a larger set of Laws called Sloan's Laws of Status Quo.