What's new

Exercising.

You'd be amazed at the difference that clip ins would make. It's not just the fact that your foot is connected to the pedal, but also the rigidity of the shoe. You could probably pick up a pair (pedals and shoes) on KSL or at Play It Again if you're persistent enough. Obviously, if you're wanting to buy used then finding the right sized shoes might be the biggest challenge. Be aware that there are several different cleat systems, but you can screw any type of cleat into the bottom of any type of shoe.

Buying cleats and shoes new would obviously be nice, but I'm guessing if you went that route they could cost you as much or more than you paid for your bike.

Joe is being awfully humble regarding his experience with cycling.

Joe - i have clip-ins I've never worn because I bought them before my bike (only have a mountain bike thus far). What bike(s) might you rec?

You'd be amazed at the difference that clip ins would make. It's not just the fact that your foot is connected to the pedal, but also the rigidity of the shoe. You could probably pick up a pair (pedals and shoes) on KSL or at Play It Again if you're persistent enough. Obviously, if you're wanting to buy used then finding the right sized shoes might be the biggest challenge. Be aware that there are several different cleat systems, but you can screw any type of cleat into the bottom of any type of shoe.

Buying cleats and shoes new would obviously be nice, but I'm guessing if you went that route they could cost you as much or more than you paid for your bike.
However, going to clip-in pedals would make it much harder to bike to work. I'd either need to change out the pedals or else carry shoes with me, neither one of which is very appealing. PowerGrips are a great compromise, imo.

Joe - i have clip-ins I've never worn because I bought them before my bike (only have a mountain bike thus far). What bike(s) might you rec?
Are you thinking of getting a road bike? Are the clip ins for mountain or road?

Regarding recommendations (this goes for both mountain and road) the price of a new bike rises dramatically at the top end of the line. The differences are primarily things that would be most relevant to a pro. For instance, if high end comportments save a half pound of weight, but the cyclist using them is 20 pounds overweight, does the weight savings on the bike really make sense? That said there are some innovations on newer bikes that are really nice (electronic shifting, for instance).

No matter whether someone is trying to get the best deal or money is no object, the first step I'd recommend is going to a local bike shop. Have them help you figure out the right frame size and ask them to let you take a couple of test rides. IMO every major manufacturer makes good bikes. Don't get hung up on brand.

One thing about all exercise equipment is that you can often get great deals buying used. It's not uncommon for a wealthy doctor to buy a top end bicycle, and then three years later decide to sell it at a fraction of the cost because they either realized they're never going to use it, or because a shinier one caught their eye. If you do buy used inspect it carefully. Do not buy a damaged carbon fiber frame no matter what. Take if for a test ride. Go up hills, down hills and around corners. It should feel tight and solid.

Finally, remember that you can always upgrade components later as you have money if performance becomes more important to you. (New wheels, pedals, etc.)

However, going to clip-in pedals would make it much harder to bike to work. I'd either need to change out the pedals or else carry shoes with me, neither one of which is very appealing. PowerGrips are a great compromise, imo.
I see. Another option is keeping a pair of shoes at work. If you're happy with your current setup there's no need to change. I just wanted to make you aware of the difference clip in pedals could make.

Are you thinking of getting a road bike? Are the clip ins for mountain or road?

Regarding recommendations (this goes for both mountain and road) the price of a new bike rises dramatically at the top end of the line. The differences are primarily things that would be most relevant to a pro. For instance, if high end comportments save a half pound of weight, but the cyclist using them is 20 pounds overweight, does the weight savings on the bike really make sense? That said there are some innovations on newer bikes that are really nice (electronic shifting, for instance).

No matter whether someone is trying to get the best deal or money is no object, the first step I'd recommend is going to a local bike shop. Have them help you figure out the right frame size and ask them to let you take a couple of test rides. IMO every major manufacturer makes good bikes. Don't get hung up on brand.

One thing about all exercise equipment is that you can often get great deals buying used. It's not uncommon for a wealthy doctor to buy a top end bicycle, and then three years later decide to sell it at a fraction of the cost because they either realized they're never going to use it, or because a shinier one caught their eye. If you do buy used inspect it carefully. Do not buy a damaged carbon fiber frame no matter what. Take if for a test ride. Go up hills, down hills and around corners. It should feel tight and solid.

Finally, remember that you can always upgrade components later as you have money if performance becomes more important to you. (New wheels, pedals, etc.)

Thanks a bunch.
I'm looking for road (never thought I'd ride on the road but maybe I will give it a try (I hate road cyclist bitches, as I've discussed ad nauseum).

The clips are for road.

The price isn't a very important factor but I also don't want spend a fortune on something I really don't need. Will never be a pro. lol

Thanks for the advice. The local shop in Ivins is owned by a successful pro and probably the best place to finalize a decision.

Thanks a bunch.
I'm looking for road (never thought I'd ride on the road but maybe I will give it a try (I hate road cyclist bitches, as I've discussed ad nauseum).

The clips are for road.

The price isn't a very important factor but I also don't want spend a fortune on something I really don't need. Will never be a pro. lol

Thanks for the advice. The local shop in Ivins is owned by a successful pro and probably the best place to finalize a decision.
Yeah, the suggestion to buy used wasn't meant for you. Most people in your circumstance would prefer to buy new. You might want to start out with a rental. Some bike shops have a program where you can apply rental fees to an eventual purchase. That way you can get a feel for the sport and test a number of bikes without a big investment. Your butt is going to get sore on your first ride, but that goes away.

And yeah, it sucks that some cyclists choose to give all cyclists a bad reputation. It's not deserved.

Yeah, the suggestion to buy used wasn't meant for you. Most people in your circumstance would prefer to buy new. You might want to start out with a rental. Some bike shops have a program where you can apply rental fees to an eventual purchase. That way you can get a feel for the sport and test a number of bikes without a big investment. Your butt is going to get sore on your first ride, but that goes away.

And yeah, it sucks that some cyclists choose to give all cyclists a bad reputation. It's not deserved.

I think most people understand that (the last sentence), but here in Ivins there are SO many cyclists that are just so obnoxious. Rising, literally, five feet outside the bike lane, KNOWING someone is driving 20mph until they get the occasion to safely pass. That's just douchey and I have come sooo close so many times to just laying in the horn and not letting up until they simply move into the bike lane so I can drive normally. In fact, I think I will try that today.

Some douche bag almost ran me off the road yesterday. It was in a 25 mph speed limit road and he tried to pass me on a curve (and I'm going around 20 mph, so its not like he just cant wait a few seconds going relatively slower than the speed limit). Turned out another car was on the other side of the curb, so he had to speed up last second to make it out safely. Turns out he was carrying a boat behind him though and I didnt realize til last second and the thing almost clipped me, but I was barely able to dodge it last second. I knew there was a stop sign up ahead, so I sped up and threw my bottle of water in his open window and told him to **** himself.

I think most people understand that (the last sentence), but here in Ivins there are SO many cyclists that are just so obnoxious. Rising, literally, five feet outside the bike lane, KNOWING someone is driving 20mph until they get the occasion to safely pass. That's just douchey and I have come sooo close so many times to just laying in the horn and not letting up until they simply move into the bike lane so I can drive normally. In fact, I think I will try that today.
I just don't understand why they would ride like that. The roads in your area are great. They're well designed for bikes and cars. Makes no sense at all to me why any cyclist would do that.

I just don't understand why they would ride like that. The roads in your area are great. They're well designed for bikes and cars. Makes no sense at all to me why any cyclist would do that.

Exactly. On roads there's no choice I don't mind sharing the road at all .. even when it's an inconvenience. It's only douchey when given the choice and they elect to inconvenience for no apparent reason.

And yes I agree about how good the roads are here. Very well designed for cycling.

I did squats today. For 20 years now I've ****ing loathed squats and have done everything possible to avoid them. I've recently committed to doing them twice a week. Time to get over it.

Hate cyclists. My dad's one too but I agree, they're ****ing annoying. The one thing off the top of my head that bugs me most is when they ride two or even three wide. Hey douchebags, ride single-file like you're supposed to. And they do this on roadways where there is either just a five foot shoulder or even worse, like a 1-2 foot shoulder, I get furious because they're out into the lane 3-4 feet. I know one time I was pissed and as I came up next to them, I honked and then rolled down my window and yelled something like, Ride single-****ing file like you're supposed to.

Hate cyclists. My dad's one too but I agree, they're ****ing annoying. The one thing off the top of my head that bugs me most is when they ride two or even three wide. Hey douchebags, ride single-file like you're supposed to. And they do this on roadways where there is either just a five foot shoulder or even worse, like a 1-2 foot shoulder, I get furious because they're out into the lane 3-4 feet. I know one time I was pissed and as I came up next to them, I honked and then rolled down my window and yelled something like, Ride single-****ing file like you're supposed to.

Whoa.
I bet they immediately went home, put their bikes on Craigslist, bought a Rottweiler, and never left the safety of their home.. again.

That was you?