What's new

Fall 2018 General Conference Thread

I wish they would announce that they will stay out of politics. ( I think there is supposed to be some kind of separation of church and state already but they don't seem to care)
Sick of them trying to sabatoge or even get involved with prop 2
Separation of church and state is a reference to what the government can or can’t do and not the other way around. Granted, you may disagree with that, and that’s fine, but that term has long been misunderstood.

Separation of church and state is a reference to what the government can or can’t do and not the other way around. Granted, you may disagree with that, and that’s fine, but that term has long been misunderstood.
Edited my original post then. (it now says "I wish they would announce that they will stay out of politics. Sick of them trying to sabatoge or even get involved with prop 2)

Im fine if they want to control their own people and tell them what to do but I dont like it when they try to control everyone else as well.

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but what's your opinion on this bill? https://www.deseretnews.com/article...mpromise-bill-differs-from-proposition-2.html
I might take the time to read it, but regardless of what promises are made I think it's important to pass prop 2 even if we want them to ultimately modify it to the terms of any supposed compromise.

I think the LDS church and Utah republicans have failed to let the sleeping dog lie. Mormons are not a majority in the state anymore, or at least it's close if I remember correctly. Prop 2 is going to bring people out to vote who typically don't because they don't feel like their vote matters in Utah. If they do come out and if their vote matters, like getting Ben McAdams over Mia Love, in addition to prop 2 then you'll have a whole new demographic of active voters for years to come, maybe forever. Utah politics could have a tectonic shift based on Prop 2 and I'm excited to see if it happens.

All this talk of a compromise is an effort to keep it from passing and keeping the supporters for it from showing up. If that happens and if prop 2 fails miserably this current compromise will start looking a lot less like a compromise and a lot more like a huge **** you to the people who thought meaningful medical MJ was on the way. The only way to keep the leverage for a compromise is to pass prop 2.

Last edited:
Maybe this isn't the right thread, but what's your opinion on this bill? https://www.deseretnews.com/article...mpromise-bill-differs-from-proposition-2.html

Does the first paragraph of this article make sense to anyone?

SALT LAKE CITY — A new compromise between supporters and detractors of Proposition 2, arrived at after weeks of fervent negotiations over significantly different views, is detailed at length in a drafted bill which Utah's legislative leaders have promised to get passed when a special lawmaking session convenes shortly after Election Day.

Saying that using nicknames such as “Mormon” for the church are “a major victory” for Satan is silly imo. Basically they are saying that the church embraced this “victory” for years. And now suddenly its bad?

I can see pushing for using the actual name but find the melodrama to be silly

So did they challenge people to stay off social media for at least 10 days, because my FB feed is getting full of people saying goodbye for awhile.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

So did they challenge people to stay off social media for at least 10 days, because my FB feed is getting full of people saying goodbye for awhile.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app
Yes--President Nelson did that at the general women's meeting, like he did with the youth whenever that was, maybe 4 months ago.

Edited my original post then. (it now says "I wish they would announce that they will stay out of politics. Sick of them trying to sabatoge or even get involved with prop 2)

Im fine if they want to control their own people and tell them what to do but I dont like it when they try to control everyone else as well.
Go BYU, doe. amiright.