What's new

Favors Looking Thin

I think it's equally likely as it is unlikely. It's not like Utah has any clear PF of the future and there isnt a big demand for big men in the free agent market.

At this point he may choose to leave for an equal offer. "Gobert's team".

At this point he may choose to leave for an equal offer. "Gobert's team".

What team can he go to where he is unquestionably the best big man who also has cap-room? If Quin shows he is willing to play him 30 mpg and end games with him and Gobert, I dont think he leaves for equal offer.

I'm going to worry about re-signing him once he proves he's healthy.

Lighter is a big step in the right direction and whether we keep him or he leaves I'll always root for him.

I love D-Faves.

I sincerely hope that what he meant with "A blessing in disguise " was Hayward leaving.
Dont think so. That comment was made around draft time, IINM. Didnt Lindsey say there were a lot of teams inquiring about Derrick? I thought it odd that the normally tight-lipped Jazz FO would mention that.

I think him staying depends on obviously health, but also price. Is he going to ask for $30m?

Hayward you could legitimately pay more than Gobert. I don't think you give even a healthy Favs more than Rudy.

Dont think so. That comment was made around draft time, IINM. Didnt Lindsey say there were a lot of teams inquiring about Derrick? I thought it odd that the normally tight-lipped Jazz FO would mention that.

I would like to think that players have a lot of more insight than us about their teammates' moods and intentions so I am thinking maybe he realized that Gordon made up his mind.

GH20

What team can he go to where he is unquestionably the best big man who also has cap-room? If Quin shows he is willing to play him 30 mpg and end games with him and Gobert, I dont think he leaves for equal offer.

What about to a team where he hasn't been leap-frogged + where he's more likely to get more exposure for his last big contract? Am I blowing your mind?

How derrick playing this year will determine what is value will be. Even if healthy and he cant extend his range to the 3 pt line there wont be a lot of teams lining up for his services. That would mean he is a center in the NBA and that changes who he is a lot.

His health will be a huge issue even if he can extend his range.

IF he stays healthy and extends his range there will be teams line up to sign him. That would put him as a top off season prospect. After the top prospects are signed there will be little money left.

That's the thing though. The Jazz are already capped out. One of Exum, Hood or Favors is likely gone due to budgeting. Sure, Favors may not get the max or near-max deal he wants on the open market, but he's still likely to get more than the Jazz are able to pay him, and he could be another team's primary big--especially in the Eastern Conference. All it takes is one team, and there are several, including Phoenix, the Lakers, Milwaukee, etc.

If Favors shows he's healthy and productive, in all likelihood he becomes the Jazz's #1 trade asset. The Jazz have already floated him on the trade market going back to last trade deadline. They may move him for an asset rather than take a 50% chance that he leaves for nothing. Exum and Hood are at least restricted.

That's a big if. Quin has shown more inclination to play a stretchy, play-making PF like Joe Johnson. Jerebko and possibly Ingles could take some PF minutes late in games as well. Even when Favors was relatively healthy, he spent most of his time at the 5.

That's a big if. Quin has shown more inclination to play a stretchy, play-making PF like Joe Johnson. Jerebko and possibly Ingles could take some PF minutes late in games as well. Even when Favors was relatively healthy, he spent most of his time at the 5.

But he really hasn't been healthy since Rudy emerged.

I think he likely goes elsewhere but we wont trade him unless we get something good and if he is healthy and lighting the world on fire we can reconfigure and figure out how to keep him.

Just not something to worry about right now. So let's just keep the cart behind the horse because we have freaked out prematurely before about not being able to keep everyone. Next year's free agent market is going to be a nuclear winter for free agents. Favs agent really kind of sucked... did the opposite of Haywards agent.

Based on his form and the proximity of the wall behind him, you can tell he's not just shooting some 15 footer. And the little step back he does too makes me a believer as well. I think he's shooting a 3. Maybe he's not. Doesn't matter. I'm a believer and holding out hope he's added that to his arsenal this year.

Tosh. You kin deduce from the wall he is inside the 3 by prolly 3-4 feet.

Doesn't it ever get old? This perpetual concern over Player X leaving "after next season" for greener pastures?

Perpetual?
DWill, Hayward and Favors. Were there others? Guess you can throw in Hill, but a lot of people thought he might turn out to be a 1-yr rental.

If the Jazz unload Burks somehow, and assuming Joe Johnson leaves, that opens a bit of space. This year's free agents are on one-year deals. So that helps a little. It all depends on the market for Dante and Hood. It's a gamble.

Perpetual?
DWill, Hayward and Favors. Were there others? Guess you can throw in Hill, but a lot of people thought he might turn out to be a 1-yr rental.

The Jazz traded DWill in large part because they didn't want to max him. I guess you could add Millsap to the list though.