What's new

Favors Looking Thin

His inability to finish at the rim is probably a bigger hindrance to his potential.

Don't think so. At least not in terms of his fit on our team. We need shooters because we will start 2 traditional bigs. We will need every bit of spacing we get.

If he shoots better which allows him to play more off-ball, we can use Ingles and Hood's playmaking. That adds more versatility to our team.

Individually, you may be right but I wonder if playing with Gobert and Favors with two good legs under him can help him there. Yeah it will be clogged but they can outbox and force/push defenders off him. I think that's unlikely though.

Don't think so. At least not in terms of his fit on our team. We need shooters because we will start 2 traditional bigs. We will need every bit of spacing we get.

If he shoots better which allows him to play more off-ball, we can use Ingles and Hood's playmaking. That adds more versatility to our team.

Individually, you may be right but I wonder if playing with Gobert and Favors with two good legs under him can help him there. Yeah it will be clogged but they can outbox and force/push defenders off him. I think that's unlikely though.

Rubios misses at the rim still set his team up. It will be easy put backs for Favors and Gobert.

His biggest weakness is 3 point shooting.

His in the paint finishing has been historically poor. His 3pt shooting has just been mediocre by modern standards. No matter how good he gets at shooting 3's, he will never be a "shooter" because I think his instinct is to penetrate. If he was a really good and crafty finisher at the rim, that would fit more seamlessly into his game and make him a more dangerous player.

I think he showed some signs of Tony Parker like scoring ability last year with how accurate he was at pull-up shots in the midrange. If he could expand that into developing a floater game and being able to finish at the rim, he could be a solid scorer.

Even if you look at this past year when he had the great post all-star break stretch where he averaged 16-11-5, that was primarily due to him picking up his scoring inside the arc. Yes, he did go from 28% 3pt shooting to 35%, but he actually took a lower percentage of his shots from 3 while doing so. He went from 7 shots per game to 12.3, but only increased his 3pt attempted from 2.5 to 2.8.

His in the paint finishing has been historically poor. His 3pt shooting has just been mediocre by modern standards. No matter how good he gets at shooting 3's, he will never be a "shooter" because I think his instinct is to penetrate. If he was a really good and crafty finisher at the rim, that would fit more seamlessly into his game and make him a more dangerous player.

I think he showed some signs of Tony Parker like scoring ability last year with how accurate he was at pull-up shots in the midrange. If he could expand that into developing a floater game and being able to finish at the rim, he could be a solid scorer.

Even if you look at this past year when he had the great post all-star break stretch where he averaged 16-11-5, that was primarily due to him picking up his scoring inside the arc. Yes, he did go from 28% 3pt shooting to 35%, but he actually took a lower percentage of his shots from 3 while doing so. He went from 7 shots per game to 12.3, but only increased his 3pt attempted from 2.5 to 2.8.

The only thing to be nervous about is that post all star break stats are rarely accurate indicator of how a player or team will do the next season, especially for lottery teams. But I still think he is going to be a really good fit here but it might take a little time.

You overlooked that he shot better from 3-pt land despite taking MORE shots from 3, NOT less. This important to consider.

I did read it but you seemed not to think that it was important.

He took .3 more per game and actually decreased the the ratio of 3's to FGA. So yeah I thought it wasn't very significant. I stated it though. I didnt overlook it. He also attempted less 3's per minute post all-star than he did before the break, he just played more.

He took .3 more per game and actually decreased the the ratio of 3's to FGA. So yeah I thought it wasn't very significant. I stated it though. I didnt overlook it. He also attempted less 3's per minute post all-star than he did before the break, he just played more.

It's a matter of perspective. The increase was fairly significant and usually when percentages increase it's because of less attempts. However, in this example, there was an increase in both, if not that many more attempts. Your focus seemed to be on overall attempts and it showed that he was shooting more, mainly from mid-range. Nevertheless, his 3-point attempts did not decrease and yet he shot a higher percentage, indicative of some improvement. That's my point.

It's a matter of perspective. The increase was fairly significant and usually when percentages increase it's because of less attempts. However, in this example, there was an increase in both, if not that many more attempts. Your focus seemed to be on overall attempts and it showed that he was shooting more, mainly from mid-range. Nevertheless, his 3-point attempts did not decrease and yet he shot a higher percentage, indicative of some improvement. That's my point.

Your point is pointless though because there is no significant change in his overall 3pts attempted per game, and the rate at which he shots 3's actually decreased. I dont see how it can be a matter of perspective unless your perspective is it's a small sample size and all meaningless, which is valid.

Basically, Rubio stopped spotting up as much and taking low confidence 3's and actually attacked the rim more as a scorer/playmaker, giving him more confidence when he did end up off the ball and inevitably left wide open for his sparse 3pt attempts. I think that's the key to his success in Utah. Be aggressive with the ball looking to set teammates up, but improve his finishing at the rim and on floaters to make him a more dangerous cover on ball.

You're just proving my point.

I expect when it comes to the GMO controversy, it is going to take some time before we know the final verdict. Anything regarding effects on health and ecology are not readily apparent and take time to truly evaluate, which is why I believe in being cautious. The history of technology, and the drug and chemical companies in particular, have plenty of examples that illustrate this.

I expect when it comes to the GMO controversy, it is going to take some time before we know the final verdict. Anything regarding effects on health and ecology are not readily apparent and take time to truly evaluate, which is why I believe in being cautious. The history of technology, and the drug and chemical companies in particular, have plenty of examples that illustrate this.

Yeah. 30 years of studies isn't enough.

Rubio's finishing around the rim is definitely a bigger issue than his jumpshot. Post all star break he was making 42.6% of his shots around the rim. That is abysmal and I'd be surprised if anyone in the last 10 seasons shot that poorly around the basket on a similar number of attempts.

His layup game has, by far, the most area for improvement.

Rubio's finishing around the rim is definitely a bigger issue than his jumpshot. Post all star break he was making 42.6% of his shots around the rim. That is abysmal and I'd be surprised if anyone in the last 10 seasons shot that poorly around the basket on a similar number of attempts.

His layup game has, by far, the most area for improvement.

Jazz just need to have him work with Harpring.
Besides, all he has to do is draw a big over to help, throw it up and Rudy can get the OR and put-back.