What's new

Favors Looking Thin

Favors is very fragile. He knows he's a free agent. It's good to see that he's going to do anything he can to get his value up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No, they wanted to max him, he just wouldn't verbally commit to the franchise long-term.

I take a different view on it:

After Larry died, Greg and Kevin took the ultra passive approach and maintained the same team for three years, seeeimg us get bumped by the Lakers each year in successively less games. This passive approach was not appreciated by Deron. It eventually came to a head with the emerging Deron/Sloan conflict and management tried to make sure the boat didn't rock and were passive on committing to any specific direction (i.e. leaving Sloan to not be fully supported because of Deron's star power, and not really keeping Deron happy because they weren't really looking to improve the team [I ain't talking financially]).

Fast forward to the blow up and it was openly exposed how poorly they managed this situation that they allowed it to reach a point where it pushed out a legendary coach who had the most tenure with a franchise in all of professional sports -- something they took for granted and didn't think would really happen. Trading Deron, in my view, was less about the fear of him not re-signing and more about them saving face and attempting to atone for their misdeeds.

I take a different view on it:

After Larry died, Greg and Kevin took the ultra passive approach and maintained the same team for three years, seeeimg us get bumped by the Lakers each year in successively less games. This passive approach was not appreciated by Deron. It eventually came to a head with the emerging Deron/Sloan conflict and management tried to make sure the boat didn't rock and were passive on committing to any specific direction (i.e. leaving Sloan to not be fully supported because of Deron's star power, and not really keeping Deron happy because they weren't really looking to improve the team [I ain't talking financially]).

Fast forward to the blow up and it was openly exposed how poorly they managed this situation that they allowed it to reach a point where it pushed out a legendary coach who had the most tenure with a franchise in all of professional sports -- something they took for granted and didn't think would really happen. Trading Deron, in my view, was less about the fear of him not re-signing and more about them saving face and attempting to atone for their misdeeds.

Quite the story.

Favs agent really kind of sucked... did the opposite of Haywards agent.

Favors and his agent knew he was prone to injury, IMO. If anything, he really only had the one year where he was criminally underpaid. The last two have shown his pay to be in line with ability to stay on the court. I hope he absolutely tears it up this year and earns a nice contract, but if he has another injury riddled year, the last thing he should be doing is complaining about not getting paid enough.

I actually think he'd more than happy to stay healthy and be a key piece to Utah winning, even if it means not paid as much as he might elsewhere. A healthy Favors could go a long way in making up for what we've lost from last year's team.

That's the thing though. The Jazz are already capped out. One of Exum, Hood or Favors is likely gone due to budgeting. Sure, Favors may not get the max or near-max deal he wants on the open market, but he's still likely to get more than the Jazz are able to pay him, and he could be another team's primary big--especially in the Eastern Conference. All it takes is one team, and there are several, including Phoenix, the Lakers, Milwaukee, etc.

If Favors shows he's healthy and productive, in all likelihood he becomes the Jazz's #1 trade asset. The Jazz have already floated him on the trade market going back to last trade deadline. They may move him for an asset rather than take a 50% chance that he leaves for nothing. Exum and Hood are at least restricted.

Do you see how money was spent this off-season? There is no certainty to anything.

That's the thing though. The Jazz are already capped out. One of Exum, Hood or Favors is likely gone due to budgeting. Sure, Favors may not get the max or near-max deal he wants on the open market, but he's still likely to get more than the Jazz are able to pay him, and he could be another team's primary big--especially in the Eastern Conference. All it takes is one team, and there are several, including Phoenix, the Lakers, Milwaukee, etc.

If Favors shows he's healthy and productive, in all likelihood he becomes the Jazz's #1 trade asset. The Jazz have already floated him on the trade market going back to last trade deadline. They may move him for an asset rather than take a 50% chance that he leaves for nothing. Exum and Hood are at least restricted.

Injury prone Favors ain't gettin anywhere close to max. He growin closer to Roy Hubert type money an yeah he should go East an collect a all start appearance lol that Hibbert got two.

Health is not the only issue with him. The real problem is with him on the floor Gobert's production drops significantly. A fit Fav may post 16ppg even more with Rubio feeding him. But Gobert was one of the most efficent scorers last year in the league and the Jazz would want to build on that. That's why the Jazz wanted to trade Fav. And now he's disgruntled because he knows the Jazz wanted to deal him.

Health is not the only issue with him. The real problem is with him on the floor Gobert's production drops significantly. A fit Fav may post 16ppg even more with Rubio feeding him. But Gobert was one of the most efficent scorers last year in the league and the Jazz would want to build on that. That's why the Jazz wanted to trade Fav. And now he's disgruntled because he knows the Jazz wanted to deal him.

Who cares if he is disgruntled? I don't care if he cannibalizes Gobert's touches, or gets pissed. It's a contract year, so show up! That's what I care about.

Can he play with Rudy or not? I don't think Rudy cares if he scores less so long as we win. With Favors back to his old self, it can only improve the team and make the Jazz a defensive juggernaut. And I don't think Rudy will be scoring less. He has become so much better at put-backs on the offensive glass that I think it could actually increase his offensive production.

Can he play with Rudy or not? I don't think Rudy cares if he scores less so long as we win. With Favors back to his old self, it can only improve the team and make the Jazz a defensive juggernaut. And I don't think Rudy will be scoring less. He has become so much better at put-backs on the offensive glass that I think it could actually increase his offensive production.

not to mention that 20+ points a agame needs to be distrubted among team mates. rudy should get a few more touches

Jazz are over the cap, barely, but are still well under the luxury tax. You understand that half of the teams in the league will not just be over the salary cap next year, but WELL into the luxury tax. A good portion of them are entering the repeater tax category. There isn't going to be a market for throwing a maz at Favors, Exum, and Hood. If you had the space to offer, you are better using it to rip of repeater tax teams like Brooklyn just did with the Lakers. Jazz are committed to 83 million next year. If the luxury is about $120 million (meaning it freezes again) the Jaz could still cover a lot of salary, especially if they needed to cut Burks loose. Even if they go into the luxury tax, it will be their first year which gives them time to figure things out.

If the tax doesn't raise next year, panic and calamity will seize the league and Hood and Exum could be had for a song.

Injury prone Favors ain't gettin anywhere close to max. He growin closer to Roy Hubert type money an yeah he should go East an collect a all start appearance lol that Hibbert got two.

wtf did u smoke weed and all of a sudden think u were from the (Eastern American) ghetto with this dialect

I am confident that we have upgraded at the PG spot. Hill could not stay on the court when it mattered, and that's really been the case for him the last 3 seasons. I don't see that trend changing for a 31 year old.

Rubio has stayed relatively healthy for 3 of the last 4 seasons, and is 6 years younger. If we can keep him on the court for 70+ games, that will be huge for us.

I am confident that we have upgraded at the PG spot. Hill could not stay on the court when it mattered, and that's really been the case for him the last 3 seasons. I don't see that trend changing for a 31 year old.

Rubio has stayed relatively healthy for 3 of the last 4 seasons, and is 6 years younger. If we can keep him on the court for 70+ games, that will be huge for us.

He played 74 games the season prior....

George Hill has only played under 70 games in a regular season twice in his 9 year career. Rubio has played less than 70 games twice in a 6 year career.