What's new

Favors traded to the Pelicans

I'm sure they're trying.

Does it benefit the other teams at all? Or just us? Because they might not want to help us if they get no benefit to it.
Second round picks, cash and good working relationships are the main reasons deals like this get done. Bulls did the same thing for a 2nd round pick when they signed Boozer, which gave the Jazz the trade exception needed to trade for Big Al Jefferson.

Indy and Brooklyn are already involved in sign and trade deals - another one doesn’t hard cap them any more than the ones they’ve already made. Brooklyn would get a draft pick for Davis, Indy would get a solid trade exception for Bogdanovic. Phoenix would likely need a pick (and maybe cash) to get on board. Memphis might want some tweaking of the existing deal with the Jazz. I’m sure something could be worked out.

Does Favors become a matchup issue for Gobert? Gobert can struggle with stronger Centers. Favors is much stronger and is still really quick on his feet. Plus Favors is really elite at boxing out people, which is something Gobert does not do. Gobert has a huge length advantage though. They both know each others games really well. Who does that give the advantage to? By that I mean who is the smarter player who will utilize their knowledge of the others strengths and weaknesses?

I think Favors might get the best of Gobert more often than not. Good thing we are just a much better team all around though so it wont matter as much. I think it will be a hard battle between these two and really fun game within the game to watch in the future.

Favors health is still a concern to me. Hopefully his body holds up in NO for his sake.

NO is going to be a fun team to watch this year. Jrue and Lonzo are going to love playing with Favors in the pick and roll. If I was NO I would be looking to move Ball though for another wing. Jrue is better off as the PG for that team. Or going the other way and trade Jrue for as many picks and young players as you can at the deadline. I would also trade Favors at the deadline as well if they go that route. Do a proper rebuild or try to start winning now. Dont try and do both.

Does Favors become a matchup issue for Gobert? Gobert can struggle with stronger Centers. Favors is much stronger and is still really quick on his feet. Plus Favors is really elite at boxing out people, which is something Gobert does not do. Gobert has a huge length advantage though. They both know each others games really well. Who does that give the advantage to? By that I mean who is the smarter player who will utilize their knowledge of the others strengths and weaknesses?

I think Favors might get the best of Gobert more often than not. Good thing we are just a much better team all around though so it wont matter as much. I think it will be a hard battle between these two and really fun game within the game to watch in the future.

Favors health is still a concern to me. Hopefully his body holds up in NO for his sake.

NO is going to be a fun team to watch this year. Jrue and Lonzo are going to love playing with Favors in the pick and roll. If I was NO I would be looking to move Ball though for another wing. Jrue is better off as the PG for that team. Or going the other way and trade Jrue for as many picks and young players as you can at the deadline. I would also trade Favors at the deadline as well if they go that route. Do a proper rebuild or try to start winning now. Dont try and do both.
Does New Orleans have any outside shooting, beyond Redick?

Does New Orleans have any outside shooting, beyond Redick?
Yes, they have a bunch of shooters. Jrue has been a little down on shooting but he is a career 35% shooter and seems to shoot well when he has space and isnt carrying too big of load. Etwaun moore shot 43% last year. I think Ingram is a good shooter despite being a little inconsistent. Who knows where Zion will be but he should be able to stretch the floor okay. They just brought over a Europe sharp shooting PF Nicolo Melli. Josh Hart can shoot okay. They also have come guys they might re-sign that are decent shooter and they will still bring in more FAs. They also drafted Nickeil who is supposed to be a good shooter as well.

The BAE is about $1M less than the room MLE. The room MLE is enough to sign Davis on the contract that has been announced; the BAE is not.
The Jazz don’t have the BAE if they use cap space for any of their transactions. They have to function above the cap to keep it. Since it looks like they’re going to waive Neto to clear the Conley deal, it seems pretty clear that they’re not planning on operating above the cap.

Room MLE is all they have, and it looks like adding Davis covers that. They only have minimum contracts available to them. Expect that (or two way deals) with the rookies, as well as a couple more vets on minimum deals getting a TC invite.

The Jazz don’t have the BAE if they use cap space for any of their transactions. They have to function above the cap to keep it. Since it looks like they’re going to waive Neto to clear the Conley deal, it seems pretty clear that they’re not planning on operating above the cap.

Room MLE is all they have, and it looks like adding Davis covers that. They only have minimum contracts available to them. Expect that (or two way deals) with the rookies, as well as a couple more vets on minimum deals getting a TC invite.
Yes, I realize that. I've posted it myself many many times. I was responding to Numberica's post that speculated on a method the Jazz could use to not dip below the cap.

edit: I think you're wrong about waiving Neto to clear the Conley deal, though. Since they waived Favors and signed Boj for a little over $1M less than Favors would have been making, I think they have enough cap space to clear the Conley deal without waiving Neto.

double edit: I haven't run the numbers to double-check that about Neto. I could be wrong.

triple edit: just saw the news from Shams. Guess they did need to waive Neto after all. :-(

Last edited:

It depends on how often NO runs the p&r.

I don't see Favors posting Rudy up, he just doesn't have a post up game.

I do see him giving Rudy fits if NO is involving Favors a lot on the P&R where Rudy must help hedge and then try and get back to cover a rolling Favors. Even if Favors doesn't get the ball, he'll be in a prime position for an offensive rebound from his shooters.

That Jingles to Favors p&r was our most effective offensive play imo.

It depends on how often NO runs the p&r.

I don't see Favors posting Rudy up, he just doesn't have a post up game.

I do see him giving Rudy fits if NO is involving Favors a lot on the P&R where Rudy must help hedge and then try and get back to cover a rolling Favors. Even if Favors doesn't get the ball, he'll be in a prime position for an offensive rebound from his shooters.

That Jingles to Favors p&r was our most effective offensive play imo.
Either way I think it will make the game really fun to watch. I'll hope Favors plays well, but the Jazz win comfortably!

Maybe Lindsey needs to hire GVC as his capologist. Was amazing to see him line everything up, almost as if the Jazz had offered the exact amounts to Bojan and Davis to make everything fit in S&T's.

Jazz should absolutely be working to make this a reality. The money has basically dried up, so having an extra $9.2 million for one player, $3.6 for a second player AND the Burks trade exception would be amazing. Throw as many 2nd and the rest of the cash into making this happen.
Ship has sailed, but the Jazz did all right with Green and Mudiay.

Two year window for the Jazz, with enough surplus short-term contracts to upgrade at the deadline. Jazz can also use the full MLE and BAE next year without any fear of going into the LT.