What's new

Federal Court Overrules Brady's Suspension

Easier for the defenders to catch too though
Gives the defense a clear advantage for interceptions. (Receivers are really good at catching the ball already and need no advantage..... This helps the defenders more since they are not as good at catching the ball)

Btw dummy, the reason for deflating the ball is mainly for the qb to be able to grip it better.

Well there you go then, another clear advantage.

Thanks.

Brady showed the NFL the relevant messages from his phone. Nearly everything the NFL released was information that wasn't 100% truthful.

Exactly. Brady met with the investigators several times. Plus they had messages from the phones of others involved in deflating the footballs. Asking for Brady's phone was an intent to go fishing for any other reason that could embarrass or discredit him. Once the investigators could find nothing direct, Goodell turned it into a campaign to smear Brady. Goodell is a tyrant with unlimited power in the NFL; he's judge, jury and executioner.

Well there you go then, another clear advantage.

Thanks.
There you go showing your ignorance on this issue. Your ignorance is the reason that you should not even be involved in this discussion.

You guys make me laugh. Both sides are clearly at fault for allowing what should have been a minor issue turn into a major one.

Brady did not hand over "all of the relevant" texts and he clearly obstructed their investigation. There are legal ways to protect oneself from anything outside of the scope of investigation, but to say that it was no big deal for him to destroy the phone in the manner he did is wrong. And while the judicial system must find "beyond a reasonable doubt" to punish someone, most employers are not held to nearly that stringent of a standard to impose punishment. The NFL is no different. They're allowed to make their own rules - as long as they don't overstep what has been agreed to with the players.

On the flip side. . . who the hell cares if the psi in the football was reduced? The game is more popular now than it ever has been and keeping QBs happy, healthy and successful is a big part of that. If it really was an issue, it should have gone no further than a public shaming and a slap on the wrist for Brady - followed by new procedures and clearly letting everyone in the league know what the future consequences would be moving forward. My biggest fault of Goddell is that he's heavy handed with a first-time offense and cracks down hard on them - when he should use the incident (taping games, salary cap circumventing, bounties, bullying, domestic violence and now deflating footballs for a competitive advantage) to educate and develop procedures and policies aimed at curbing the behavior down the road. Instead, each of these issues has become contentious between management and players without really needing to be.

And while Goodell may have all the power over these situations, it's only because the players willingly gave it to him. Ideally, the league would have a director of player discipline officer who would deal with the initial punishment, followed by a 3 member arbitration panel (selected jointly by the NFL ownership, the NFLPA and the court) to deal with appeals. Goodell would still have considerable influence over the process, but would be insulated from the raving lunatics who blame him for everything that they don't like about the punishment and appeal process. That structure would allow Goodell to be an advocate for both the owners and the players when issues arise.

In terms of the severity I think you have to look not at what the perpetrator did but HOW that action impacts the outcome of the game as a whole. Having that ball to use for the WHOLE GAME gives 1 team a clear and significant advantage over the other IMO.

....look, I have no vested interest in New England or Tom Brady.....but if there was such a "clear and significant" advantage to the football being slightly under inflated, then why did he throw an interception in the first half of the Colts game with the ball under inflated, but did not throw any interceptions in the 2nd half when the balls were inflated properly??? Why did the Patriots score 30 more points in the 2nd half playing with the properly inflated footballs? Could it be that there was NO ADVANTAGE whatsoever to the slightly deflated balls as opposed to the proper inflated balls? This whole issue of the deflated footballs was as goofy as the day is long! And the most ridiculous outcome was that Brady would have accepted a 1 or 2 game suspension if Goodell would have dropped the issue last week! He kept pushing for 4 games and ended up with ZERO games!!! The only advantage I can see of a overly inflated football would be to a "kicker" who might be able to kick it farther with more air in the ball! I see no advantage or disadvantage to the quarterback! That's my take and I'm sticking with it!

You mean this story is already over? It's only been about seven months since someone discovered some balls were missing a little bit of air and now it has reached resolution. Why isn't anybody making a bigger deal about this? Hopefully the commentators will at least bring it up multiple times every week of the season and beyond.

Not over. The idiot commissioner is appealing. So no resolution for the nfl with a season full of Bad publicity.

Also congrats on initially giving Ray Rice 2 games for knocking out his girl, and Brady 4 games for deflated footballs and hurting your product trying to discredit your best and most popular player.

I do have one question though

As I understand it. If the collective bargaining agreement gives The idiot commish power to The judge jury and executioner... How did the suspension get overturned regardless of how unfair and stupid it was?

Seems like every decision the idiot commish makes is to try to fix his blunder with Ray Rice. How much longer are the other owners going to put up with this idiot commish. I am counting the days when this idiot commish is canned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger has players taking steroids, hooked on pain pills, concussions, ex players dropping dead, domestic abuse cases, child abuse cases, and then we have deflated footballs. I'm sure he has put in some time on all of these issues it just seems that deflated footballs should be a smack on the wrist type meeting and then we move on.

You guys make me laugh. Both sides are clearly at fault for allowing what should have been a minor issue turn into a major one.

Brady did not hand over "all of the relevant" texts and he clearly obstructed their investigation. There are legal ways to protect oneself from anything outside of the scope of investigation, but to say that it was no big deal for him to destroy the phone in the manner he did is wrong. And while the judicial system must find "beyond a reasonable doubt" to punish someone, most employers are not held to nearly that stringent of a standard to impose punishment. The NFL is no different. They're allowed to make their own rules - as long as they don't overstep what has been agreed to with the players.

On the flip side. . . who the hell cares if the psi in the football was reduced? The game is more popular now than it ever has been and keeping QBs happy, healthy and successful is a big part of that. If it really was an issue, it should have gone no further than a public shaming and a slap on the wrist for Brady - followed by new procedures and clearly letting everyone in the league know what the future consequences would be moving forward. My biggest fault of Goddell is that he's heavy handed with a first-time offense and cracks down hard on them - when he should use the incident (taping games, salary cap circumventing, bounties, bullying, domestic violence and now deflating footballs for a competitive advantage) to educate and develop procedures and policies aimed at curbing the behavior down the road. Instead, each of these issues has become contentious between management and players without really needing to be.

And while Goodell may have all the power over these situations, it's only because the players willingly gave it to him. Ideally, the league would have a director of player discipline officer who would deal with the initial punishment, followed by a 3 member arbitration panel (selected jointly by the NFL ownership, the NFLPA and the court) to deal with appeals. Goodell would still have considerable influence over the process, but would be insulated from the raving lunatics who blame him for everything that they don't like about the punishment and appeal process. That structure would allow Goodell to be an advocate for both the owners and the players when issues arise.
Good post

Roger has players taking steroids, hooked on pain pills, concussions, ex players dropping dead, domestic abuse cases, child abuse cases, and then we have deflated footballs. I'm sure he has put in some time on all of these issues it just seems that deflated footballs should be a smack on the wrist type meeting and then we move on.

It's a theory that Goodell dragged this issue out so the media would focus less on the criminal/violent off-season news stories.

......the reason for deflating the ball is mainly for the qb to be able to grip it better.

I would think that if that was the case, the league would move to relax this PSI issue for the sake of more offense since they cater to the offenses over the defenses anyway! An under inflated football would seem to wobble more as opposed to a tight spiral!

It's a theory that Goodell dragged this issue out so the media would focus less on the criminal/violent off-season news stories.

That's a dumb theory. There weren't that many of them.

I think it has more to do with the league (per the owners) wanting to institute heavy penalties for any issues that tarnish the image of the NFL (and likely doing as much damage in the process.)

Despite all of this, the NFL has never been more popular or valuable as it has been under Goodell's watch. He's beholden to 31 ego-centric, billionaire owners and responsible (rightly or wrongly) for the behaviors and actions of thousands of league employees.

The Patriots have been caught or accused of cheating multiple times. I believe that any other team and QB results in a much more low-key response. But especially with the Saints bounty issue and the domestic violence issue that reared this season, I understand the over-reaction (even if I disagree with it.) For those who think things are bad under Goodell, I'd suggest they go back and look at all the crap that went on under Tag. That moron was letting the inmates run the asylum and left it to Goodell to have to try to reign it back in.

Last edited:
Despite all of this, the NFL has never been more popular or valuable as it has been under Goodell's watch. He's beholden to 31 ego-centric, billionaire owners and responsible (rightly or wrongly) for the behaviors and actions of thousands of league employees.
I know the 49'ers lost a lot of players to retirement and criminal actions, but I think they're still fielding a team. Or, are you saying one of the 32 owners or ownership groups is kind and benevolent?

The Packers ownership structure is just significantly different from the other teams with their board of directors setup. No one participant can wrest too much power and influence. I'd say that CEO Mark Murphy is the closest thing they have to an "owner" in terms of responsibility, but his role is still significantly differs from the other 31 billionaire ownership groups.